Sunday, July 26, 2026

Weekly Wrap Up 7/26

 Hello to all.  Hope you are well and safe on this last Sunday of the month.  Hard to believe we have basically gone through another month in the blink of an eye.  Less than 5 months is Christmas!  Oh my!!!
This morning it is about 70*F and foggy.  We have had mist as well.  While I was out wondering and feeding first this, I felt water hitting my skin - then noticed the pavement seemed damp too.  Looks to be cloudy most of the day.
We had some fantastic weather this week - just perfect days.  No humidity was the key.  That shall end they say, and starting today humidity rises and heat return (although not as bad as before).
I came across a fix for my tiredness this week, all by accident.  Well, I say accident for me, but I think it was a God nudge.  Early in the week, my day got all changed up as far as my routine goes.  I then noticed I felt better.  I wasn't tired or sleepy, didn't have a headache, and had a lot more energy.  WHAT was it you say?  Well, my morning drink didn't happen first thing - I waited until I was up for an hour, hour and half.  Lupper (lunch/supper) got pushed back the same amount of time maybe longer.  That is it and what a difference I have felt all week.  I might guess it was a blood sugar thing!  I feel like a different person.

My frugal week:
  • Made the dressing/dip with leftover broccoli (posted earlier in week)
  • Laundry using dehumidifier water - hanging to dry
  • Trimmed the back bushes
  • Mowed & trimmed whole yard, cleaned the fence rows about 90% (what I could from this side)
  • Worked on the front flower bed more and then on the back one some
  • Using a lot of rain barrel water
  • Garden - picking cherry toms, lots of peppers, cukes, zucchini and my FIRST tomato!
  • Had AC off a good 3 or 4 days - windows open
  • Picked a bouquet of flowers to brighten my day
The phlox, mallow, and rose from the yard - the little yellow flowers from the wild growth down the alley - it is still pretty and just cheery!
  • Noticed the drainpipe from AC was leaking - so took it apart and it was clogged.  Who knew?  The water had built a major build up over years - so it is clean and flowing properly now
  • Did more staking of tomatoes, tied them up and weeded the garden
  • Washed the windows on the security doors
  • Ran to Kroger to get more wet cat food - suddenly I am going through a lot!!!  Go figure.  While there - I walked around and they had tons of markdowns (early morning).  Sorry I didn't take pics.  I got 3 HUGE yellow peppers (1.50), 6 nice apricots (1.50), ground Angus (lean) 3.49 lb. (2), jumbo stuffed olives (2.35 jar - 2), corn on the cob .39 ear, jar of sliced jalapenos (1.25), 2 1/2 lb. bag of frozen chicken strips (4.05)
  • Stopped at auto store and got the back wiper blade replaced on Blazer (should have done that when I did the front)
  • Stopped at the thrift store and got FREE whole wheat pack of hamburger buns, and Friskies cat treats 2 bags for $1 (4)
Meals this past week:
Beans and rice
Beans/rice/cheese & dressing, salad
Green beans/potatoes/ham
Tostadas (bean/rice/cheese/salsa)
l/o beans/potatoes/ham, corn on the cob
Sauteed zucchini/peppers, chicken fingers, cuke/tom salad
Loaded cheeseburger, corn on cob, cuke/tom salad

It has been a good week.  The weather was wonderful for being July, probably a couple of the best days weatherwise in a couple months.  I got lots done - do to changing my schedule up.  Felt renewed with energy this week.
I know many of you are going through some very hard things in life, and I just wish you all the best.  God places things in our lives, that we often don't expect, but it truly can make us stronger.  I hope you all know you have a safe place here.
Wishing you all a lovely week ahead, with health, safety and joy.  
Blessings to you and yours from me at my humble little home.
***********************

This seems appropriate this morning:

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven; a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing, a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; a time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silent, and a time to speak; a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace.
Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8

Dear Lord, we come forth again this week with all our thanks for the many blessings we received this week.  Please comfort those who are hurting, heal those who are ill, and open eyes to all the blessings that we do have.  May we all give love and comfort to others and may we all stay good stewards of all our gifts and possessions.  Help each one who is reading this to have a beautiful week full of goodness.  AMEN


12 comments:

  1. It's been a week without rain but high temps hovering around 30C. The lawn tractor mower is supposed to get fixed today. Yeah! I cut grass 4x with the push mower this past wk. The yard is big so I don't cut it all at once. By the time the last of it is done, it's time to start at the beginning again! Good exercise. A friend & I toured a small town museum on Tuesday. We were impressed with how well curated it was. You know you're old when the items we used to use are in the museum!! The next day it was off to a friend's riverside home an hour away. The garden & flower beds were weeded. The peas & beans are starting to produce. There should be a picking within the week. The potted cherry tomatoes on the porch are starting to ripen. Basil has been dried. I enjoyed the first porch setting this week. Aaah, summertime. In the kitchen: tortilla tuna rollups; pickle soup; broccoli salad; chicken stirfry. Have a good week, Cheryl & all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you get your tractor fixed - it sure be better than all that walking. Although it is good exercise. The museum and riverside home visit both sound lovely. Glad your garden seems to be doing good. That fresh produce is so sticking yummy.
      I just came in from porch sitting this AM. Dinners all sound good.
      Thanks, and you have a super week.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful flowers! I so
    LOVE your ground beef prices! I walked an hour every morning from 5:30 to 6:30. So hot here and next week the same. Bertha’s outer rings did cool things down for a day, somewhat. Ate salmon salad made from a can and I make it like tuna salad except use salmon or canned mackerel. Made cucumber salad, potato salad, tomato sandwiches and watermelon for dessert.
    I try not to cook very much in the summer and made the potato salad very early in the morning. Just work, walk, eat, and sleep and glad to be alive and able to do the above! Have a wonderful week! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy. I only buy ground beef when it is on clearance - well most any meat that is. Clearance is the only way it is truly affordable. That sounds really good with the salmon salad. A tomato sandwich sounds so good - Mmmm once I get more tomatoes!
      I cook a lot, but nothing that really heats up the house. Air frier, stove top - and heating leftovers.
      Amen - glad to be alive!!!
      Thanks and you have a wonderful week as well.

      Delete
  3. What is your morning drink, Cheryl? You’ve said that like me you don’t drink coffee.

    I bought three new pair of slacks/jeans for my trip. So I knew I wanted to declutter. This week I donated five pair of slacks/jeans, a jacket, pair of dress shoes, box of frames and candleholders, two plastic totes and a few of my dad’s old tools. It felt good! Yesterday I found some scraps in the garage I was “saving” and put them in the trash.

    Used a $6/2 paper coupon on hair color at Walmart. It was legit but they had to put it through manually.

    I couldn’t find a movie I wanted to watch free on streaming so got the dvd from the library. When I returned it I picked up a jigsaw puzzle (fun with no clutter).

    Lunch with two friends on Thursday. Brought home the “free” cookie.

    In the yard I trimmed for two days. Yesterday after trimming the ligustrum tree (fairly hard cutting) at 9 a.m., it was already so hot and humid that I felt sick when I came inside. Barbara M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make up a drink of protein powder, milk, ice, Stevia, water with one tablespoon instant coffee added (I like mocha flavor). Blend a few seconds and done.
      Good for you on taking out more than you brought in!
      $6 is a good savings - that stuff is expensive.
      Sounds like a good week. You be careful out there. Yesterday I went out early to weed the garden, but luckily it never did get too hot. You have to be careful in that heat.
      Have a beautiful week.

      Delete
  4. Excellent devotional! This passage says to me that our lives are not stagnant. Personally I think that we go through good times and bad to build our faith, make us more steadfast. We need to trust in the Father's will. Boy, that is hard sometimes, but worthwhile.

    Your revelation regarding your energy level is very interesting. The sugar level can make a huge difference in how we feel. I do believe your messenger sent by God was helping you out!

    Those few days that were almost fall-ish were bliss. Isn't it lovely to have the house open? Today is a different story but I am grateful we are not having the flooding that Kentucky and southern Indiana had.

    Going to pick beans out of the big bed. They certainly have not been as nice as the last few years. Who knows why. Still time to plant more. Tomatoes are going great guns. I took a large tomato to my neighbor yesterday, and found she is facing a heart cath in two weeks and then open heart surgery in two months, with hip replacement following all that. Her name is Karen and I would appreciate prayers from all your prayer warriors.

    I bet your kitties are eating you out of house and home! ha! Kind of like have growing teenagers.

    Sweet bouquet of flowers. Enjoy them while we can. The leaves will be falling before we know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would never truly appreciate the good if it weren't for the bad - IMO. It is very hard to just trust!
      It all just sort of happened, then after feeling totally different for a few days - it just kind of dawned on me that maybe my blood sugars were out of whack. I will do what I can without meds - you know me!
      Oh the days were just glorious. I am glad for no bad weather, but sure have enjoyed those cooler days.
      I have tons of toms hanging out there - just waiting for ripening. Sweet to take your neighbor one. Prayers for Karen - that sounds like quite a lot to go through in a few short months.
      Yep - now the kittens are eating and Pip and Momma of course. Pip is still nursing too - so eats a lot and is so skinny.

      Thanks - I love odd flowers. I was walking to pick those yellow ones the other day and looked up and the walnut tree hanging over the alley is loaded with green ones. My tree has been shedding leaves for 2 months!!!
      Have a super week.

      Delete
  5. I harvested the first homegrown plums, potatoes and of the season this week. That has been very uplifting as so many things have died or suffered badly in the heat this summer.
    I was also pleased that a couple of small DIY jobs. repainting the door on my bathroom cabinet and the handrail beside the stairs, has really given both spaces a fresher luck for little effort.
    I was interested to read of the reason for your accidental health boost. I am pre-diabetic and try to eat healthily. I think about what I eat, but I never think about the times that I eat and drink as they are pretty much a constant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been in the hospital with another infection and was just discharged Friday afternoon. This morning I received a potential organ gift offer. There is a whole bunch of criteria that needs to be met before we move forward or even if we move forward so, I am waiting for another phone call to see if we will proceed. The Bible verse is very fitting, yes. As a Christian, it’s all His Will and His Timing, for me. Julie V.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be praying for Karen.
    I took a walk early this morning around the park. It was already feeling humid but not too hot yet. Picked some tomatoes, kale, 2 cucumbers, and jalapenos. Our lunch today was corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes, kale salad, and stuffed mushrooms in the air fryer. later we will have some muskmelon for a snack. There's nothing like summer food. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My garden is a flop this year. The deer... I know everyone has to eat, but do they have to eat my bean plants and my flowers? My harvest so far, besides parsley which the bears also like, is ONE bean. I see a few blooms, but the vines have been chomped off short.

    Fortunately I can afford to buy food! :)

    This week I think the majority of the rain is done for a while. There were 2 1/2 inches in the gage this morning. Looking ahead, fair weather in the 80's. I can deal with that. :)

    Prayers for Karen, that's a lot to be going through.
    MaryB

    ReplyDelete