Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Save $, Alternatives, Simplifying

 Hello to all this fine morning.  Hope you are all well.
It is a sunny and cool morn here.  Got up to 60*.  Windows open for now as it will get warmer today.  Enjoying this cooler time for a few days, because we will be back to 90*F this weekend.  Summer isn't done yet.
Hmm, seems I have a new cat 'bird' in the grape arbor.  Every morning now, after breakfast, Pip goes straight out and climbs up.  She stays for a few hours - guess she figures it is her quiet time from the kids.

I know I talk a lot about living a simpler life - but as the days go by, it seems more important to learn or revive some ways of old.  Things are expensive, and we all need to know ways to save here and there.  It seems that we all take more from our resources, than we ever give back!!
We need to build skills and talents and learn some control.  We learn and grow - it isn't an all now kind of thing.  It isn't about perfection.  Every home and situation is different, so we do what we can - that is OK.

WAYS TO HELP A LITTLE
Use real dishes, silverware and glasses - not paper or plastic

Try to take cloth bags to the stores.  Many places now, don't even have plastic bags (we do).  IF you get the plastic, re-use them for things - trash bags, pooper bags, some people cut in strips and crochet with them, mom used to make holiday wreaths, line leaky boots, etc.

Use glass when possible - buy things in glass jars if possible, instead of plastic - the jars can be used for all kind of things.  They are great for leftovers in the frig (you can see through them), They don't absorb smells, flavors.  Can be used to hold crafts or hardware.  Use for flowers bouquets.  Can be used for a drinking glass.  So many uses.  Many people around the world do their canning in those jars - as canning jars are hard to get and cost a fortune.

When traveling use an insulated mug or drinking vessel instead of bottles of water.  Bottled water causes a lot of plastic waste, and the water can contain nasty stuff from the plastic.  Cold or hot drinks can be had in the insulated glasses.
Here is my daily glass.  It is insulated and keeps things very cold.  As you can see in front, it came with a metal straw - I don't use it.  It just isn't for me (hurts my teeth) - yes, I use a regular straw, but it gets cleaned daily.  See that little brush?  That is a straw cleaner - and works on even very skinny straws.  I have a bigger insulated mug, that I use when working outdoors, that I keep ice water in.  No waste.

If you do get things in plastic containers - use them.  They make great storage for craft areas and garages.  They are good to send home leftovers to others in (you don't need back).  Use them for something, instead of just trashing them.
Plastic bags, foil, plastic wrap - use it until you can't use it anymore.  I clean bags and foil and re-use.  Look for alternatives to covering bowls in the frig - cloth tops (look like shower caps) can be easily made.

Old t-shirts or clothing can be cut into rags, hankies, washable TP, or scraps can be made into something special - like quilts, pillows, crafts, toys, etc.
Here is a stack of my hankies.  I do have real hankies, but most are just cut up old t-shirts which are very soft and absorbent.  They also make good lens cleaners for glasses - soft and no lint.  Just a hint - if using for your glasses - do not put through the dryer.  Let them air dry, as you don't want any fabric softener on them. 
If you get a homemade hankie all messed up, no great loss.  I haven't purchased Kleenex in years.  If I have a bad congestion problem, I will use TP.

It isn't just things, but food.  We all know we can make leftovers into new things.  We can compost.  Skins and peels of fruit can be made into jelly, syrup and juices.  Other peels can be used to help flavor homemade broth.  Bones can be used to make broth.

I know it sounds like work - but it isn't really.  It saves a little money, and it helps save resources.  Think about how many resources of all types it takes to make many of the things we use daily!!!
Don't go and just start throwing things away - that totally defeats the purpose, and they still end up being in landfills.  Use the stuff if you have and use it until it cannot be used anymore - then toss and replace with another and good alternative.  You can also donate - let someone else get use of it.

We all hope our lives can be meaningful in some way - it helps by giving back in so many ways - big and small.  Don't just buy to buy, think about your choices.  We may all have setbacks and failures in doing things - that is ok and normal, just keep trying.  
We all need to learn to reduce, recycle, reuse and rot!  Every little action gives back to the earth.

Save a little, learn a little, simplify a little, and find little alternatives.
It is called helping and giving back.
Just some ideas to get you started and to get you to thinking.

Have a beautiful day!!!!!

13 comments:

  1. I have a water bottle my son gave me for Christmas some years ago, it's stainless steel and suits me just fine. I made a keychain link to keep the top from getting lost and crochetted a strap to carry the bottle over my shoulder like a purse.

    There is glassware here from my grandma and my mom, old dishes from the charity shop, my grandma's old silverware. I used paper and plastic after that hurricane in 2024 because we had no water for washing, so it was good I had some on hand.

    This morning before reading your post, I finished packing up a big styrofoam cooler full of stuff for the local charity shop! Weed weed weed. If it's raining or hot I'm weeding indoors, otherwise outside in the garden! :)

    Cool this morning. High expected to be 80F. I can live with that for a long time!

    MaryB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is a stainless steel as well, and I was gifted it. What great ideas for water bottles! I love the strap idea.
      I have lots of older dishes and glasses as well. My flatware is just pieced together - nothing really matches. I don't care. There is a place and time for paper - so I understand that - no water, you have to use paper.
      Weeding the house - good phrase. I like that! There is always something to do, isn't there?

      Delete
  2. "Save a little, learn a little, simplify a little, and find little alternatives." Golden words! It's all about using the little grey cells, not going along with the usual. I reuse lots of containers and plastic bags. The Farmer uses bottles for watering in the garden. He bought clay spikes that the bottles fit into, and the plants are watered slowly and gently.

    Sure is beautiful this morning! Love the picture of Pip up in the grape arbor.

    Off to run some errands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is easy and so many people want to make it difficult. I reuse so many things, usually for something that they weren't intended for.
      That is a cool way to water - nice and even.
      It is so lovely out today. Oh my Pip, sure is a pip!

      Delete
  3. In the UK (and many places around the world, I think) you have to pay for bags. I have a 1970s nylon fabric “pocket” that folds into itself and, unzipped, folds out into two different sizes of tote bags. Folded up it fits in my jacket pocket. Not the most attractive thing and at times I’ve felt like a bag lady. Still, I love it! In Scotland I saw some that I thought were similar and bought one in a plaid print. Not nearly as good (thankfully not too expensive) and I’m already tempted to donate it.

    It infuriates me the way “we” are treating Canada. Good neighbors are important and I despise bullies. Barbara M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Places around the world do a lot of things differently than we do. I imagine we will get the point of paying for bags, if we don't bring our own. I like the idea of fold up bags that fit in a pocket or purse. We often think that because of the alphabet agencies we have here, there are no other safe ways to do things, than how we do them. Many countries prove us wrong. Canning, refrigeration, harvesting, can all be different and it can be safe. We need to explore a bit more.

      Delete
    2. At Aldi here in the U.S. they charge for bags if you don’t have your own. Not sure of the price but I’m thinking .10 (that may be an out-of-date price). The food store I most frequented in the UK charged 40 p (.50 or .55) so I’m glad I had my own bag!

      Delete
    3. Yes they do, didn't even think about that, as that has been the case for years (as well as cart deposit). That is kind of pricey for a bag - good to take your own for sure.

      Delete
  4. That picture of Pip is SO adorable!! She found somewhere to get away from all of her babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she has. I wondered where she hid out, and watched her one day. Now I see her go up there every morning after breakfast. All moms need a break!

      Delete
  5. Dolly Parton has died. Sad and I’m kind of shocked even though I knew she has been ill. I was never a big fan but she was a good and very generous person. May she Rest in Peace. Barbara M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly sad - she was quite a legend in the music industry and a wonderful philanthropist. She seemed to decline quickly after her love Carl Dean passed.

      Delete