Sunday, August 23, 2026

Weekly Wrap Up 8/23

Hello and happy Sunday to all.  Can you believe there is just a week left in this month?  Then we will be in the 'ber' months - I know many look forward to those!  This week is starting on a lovely note here weatherwise.  That is a wonderful thing - it hasn't happened lately to have a week start out so nice.  It looks like the approaching week will nice as well.  Much appreciated.
I started writing a little late this morning, I was watching the babies playing.  They are such a hoot.  Running and playing and jumping and zoomies!  Morning smiles!

I remember this well.  Company coming for dinner, badminton or horseshoes in the backyard, and front porch sitting.  If you didn't have something, you did without until Monday.  The peace.

My frugal week:
  • Sunday was just a day of all kinds of little projects - too many to mention and just lots of catch up of odds and ends
  • HARVEST - has been good.  Lots of peppers and tomatoes and other goodies as well
  • Got to finally mow and trim everything.  It took 2 days due to all the moisture from dew.  I trimmed both sides of my fences (my side and the neighbor's sides).  I had to rake and blow grass as well, as it was so clumpy - just amazed how much it grew in a week
  • I worked in the front bed as well - pulled out all the done sunflowers and the spiderwort and some ivy - cleared the glass block window in front of ivy - basement is brighter!
  • Made hummingbird feed
  • I discovered a leak in my kitchen ceiling.  It happened twice when we had the huge downpours.  Right over my solid wood cabinets!!!!  My neighbor came over and checked it out and found some shingles loose at that spot - told me what I needed - I went to hardware and got it - and he sealed everything for me.  Fingers crossed that it did the trick!!!!  (no rain since).  He wouldn't charge me a thing or let me pay him
  • I picked a few pounds of grapes - destemmed and cleaned and froze for making jelly later on
  • I did some porch sitting and reading on Saturday - such a nice morning
  • Gave neighbor some tomatoes - he was happy.  It has been slow to get things really ripened
  • I did a lot of general cleaning around the house
  • I did run to the grocery (cat food of course) and I bought several non-edible items for the fall and winter prep.  I did find a few deals as well
Combo beef/pork ground - 2 lb. pack for 4.80, Lobster cakes (a nice treat) 2.45/4, and yogurt at .45 container - got a total of 14
Bounty 6.37 (will last me forever), banana chips (4/27) for holiday baskets 5 @ 1.47 ea. and FREE bread
I also got broccoli and corn on the cob and mandarins on clearance - not pictured.

My budget friendly meals this past week:
Eggrolls (homemade from freezer), chicken bites and fresh veggies
Grilled ham & cheese and fresh veggies
Tuna salad and crackers and veggies & yogurt
Grilled zucchini steaks, corn on the cob, fresh tomatoes & cukes
Beef fajita style (gr. beef, peppers, onions) mix over rice
Smoked sausage on bun and salad and yogurt
Broccoli & cheese, corn on the cob and sliced toms
Grilled zucchini 'steaks'.  Meal cost me about .35!  That was for the corn.  
I do not have to meat for every meal - I just love fresh veggies and I enjoy them as I can in the summer.

Allergies have kicked in this week - must be from all the tree and grass pollen, and the moisture around.  I did a face plant this week as well - I did a stupid, and I knew better, but I did it and I fell face first on my hardwood floors!  What hits first - your nose.  Thank God it didn't break but I did get a cut on the bridge of it from glasses.  It is still tender - but all is good.  Seems every week I am reminded of things that I can no longer do!!!!!!!  Grateful for learning a lesson and not getting hurt badly.  Geesh!

How was your week?  Are you getting harvests in or getting goodies from the farm stands?  Doing canning?  Drying out?  Did you find any deals?  Give us a shout out.
I hope this finds you all well and safe.  May you all have a lovely week ahead.
Blessings to you and yours from me at my humble little home.
****************

O Lord my God, I cried to thee for help, and thou hast healed me.
Psalms 30:2

Dear Lord, we send thanks for all our many, many blessings.  Help each one realize that for every teardrop shed and every sleepless night and for every anxious moment, You will be there.  You send Your angels to watch over us and to lead us to You.  Your blessings get us through every situation, and You help us to get through everything we must face.  Thank You for loving us so much.
AMEN

10 comments:

  1. Happy Sunday! A lovely day here too.

    I envy you being able to get plain ground pork. Here it is all preseasoned, and not the seasonings I like - don't know what they use but it just doesn't taste like pork any more. :(

    Sorry you fell. I tripped out in the garden and re-hurt my foot where it was just healing up from a stumble a couple weeks ago. Bummer. Limping around. :( Must try to be more careful, a bit slower, watch what I'm doing.

    Love that Psalm verse ... love the prayer. Thank you!
    MaryB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hardly ever see pre-seasoned pork, except sausage. It is readily available here.
      Life gets tricky as we get older, and little accidents can make bigger boo-boos!!! Take care of yourself. Slowing down is a tough one.
      Glad your day is pretty too. It is gorgeous here.
      Yes mam! Have a blessed week.

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Cheryl. Yes, the last wk in August as evidenced by the little bugs gathering at the screens & the blooming hydrangeas & corn cobs & chuckwagon race finals. I take comfort in these seasonal events. For the first time in 14 wks there was no rainfall. A roofing contractor was locked in for October. One estimate I got was more than twice the amount for the same work! Unbelievable. I also ordered a new chest freezer. Mine is just not getting cold enough. It is 20 yrs old so it doesn't owe me much. I was hoping not to add anything to the landfill but it's hard to get a serviceman in this rural area. I entertained my SIL & her husband for a bbq one evening & a friend for lunch another day. And I took a veggie treat to another friend - creamed peas, beans, carrots w/ new potatoes. The lawn was mowed & raked & the pea & bean vines & kale plants removed from the garden awa the chickpea weeds. All the bedding was washed & the mattress turned end to end. I think that saves the mattress as I tend to sleep on one side. Last year's carrots were shredded for baking. I spent a day at a local beach w/ the neighbor little & her mom; a good day to do that as there was a power outage x 5hrs scheduled for that day. In the kitchen: bbq steak & pasta salad w/ green beans; creamed garden veg over new potatoes; carrot pineapple muffins; tomato pesto spaghetti; bbq pork chops w/ potato/carrot packs on the grill. In doing this weekly wrap-up with you, I'm reminded of what a full life I enjoy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, glad you had a dry week. There are lots of signs that fall is coming soon.
      Hope you get your roofing work done reasonably. Yay, on a new freezer.
      Sounds like lots of fun times with family and friends.
      Like you - I sleep in the same spot every night, so it is about time to flip my mattress too. The beach day sounds perfect.
      I like it that you find the wrap up helpful! It does make you realize just how blessed life is and can be. All the small things do add up. Your food all sounds yummy.
      Have a wonderful week ahead.

      Delete
  3. Good morning, Cheryl,
    The weather report changed here and instead of having rain all day it will be sunny and a beautiful 73 degrees, The windows and the doors are open and the airconditioning off. I did a lot of batch cooking this past week and put meals in the freezer. Took the car in for inspection and found I needed new shock absorbers, so an unexpected expense. Worked in the craft room and made more gratitude journals and bookmarks for little gifts that can be tucked in an envelope and mailed to friends faraway for birthdays, etc. Did a little baking for the neighbors who are so kind helping me with things around the house when cannot do it myself. Had brunch with friends at the local diner. Having brunch around noon is so doable. at a little over $5 for 2 eggs, toast, home fried potatoes and choice of bacon, scrapple, or sausage, and a drink.
    Meals at home this week have been simple and easy. I saw an interesting recipe for homemade chocolate chips to make cookies with and made a batch. They were great. Made only from confectioners sugar, Unsweetened dark chocolate powder, water, and I added a little vanilla to the mix. Instead of squeezing then out to look like commercial chocolate chips I just patted the recipe into a thinnish square and cut the it into small chocolate chunks and let it dry for 7 hours before baking with it. The flavor was spot on and they practically cost nothing to make as I always have those ingredients on hand. I'm going to try the recipe using PB2 peanut butter flour instead of the cocoa powder and see how that works. I did bake some chocolate chip cookies and they turned out perfect. Wishing everyone a blessed week. Cookie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so nice to have the weather people be wrong sometimes and to have a superb day!
      It sounds like you have been keeping busy with various projects. Glad you are getting back into your crafting - I know you love to do it.
      I enjoy doing brunch or lunch with friends, it is sure cheaper than dinner prices.
      That sounds pretty cool for making the chips. I think I say something about that the other day. When you have the ingredients at home, you can't beat the price. I bet the peanut butter ones would be good too. May have to try that.
      Have a super week.

      Delete
  4. I am definitely happy that the 'bers' are coming. It is my favorite season of all even though I do love all of the summer produce and herbs.
    Yes, I remember when everything was closed on Sunday's and holiday's and it was wonderful.
    All of your meals sound really good.
    Sorry you had a fall, be careful. Glad you're ok though.
    I hope this week is a good one for you and you enjoy the cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be a Lauri/Lori thing. LaurieS is the same way. She gets very excited about those months. I like fall, but I miss all the goodies of summer. I guess there are different goodies for fall though.
      I sat out on the porch this morning, and there was basically no traffic on the street, and I could hear the birds and it reminded me of back in the day. I wish stuff was still closed on Sunday.
      Thanks. You have a great one!

      Delete
  5. Yes I like the 'ber months, not a fan of the heat so much. And I remember when the stores were closed on Sunday too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them too - but I do love my summer! I can understand liking the cooler months - sweatshirts and chilly air.
      I think times were so much better then - life just slowed down one day a week and everyone enjoyed home.
      Have a super week.

      Delete