Hello to all. Glad you stopped by and hope you are all well. I want to say thank you for the kind words, prayers and thoughts you have given over the past couple days. So very appreciated.
It is 55*F this morning and a little dewy. The moon sure was big and bright this morning. Looks to be a very nice day, and we may hit 80*F.
I have been out and fed all. I swear my backyard looks like a little war zone - it is just full of little craters all over the yard. Rocky has decided to try and find squirrel nuts at night (I guess). He is not nearly as neat as they are when burying them!
Today I am going to post a few recipes and ideas from what I think of as back in the day! I still love them all, and a couple I haven't done in a while, and they are now on my 'to do' list.
I have always loved German potato salad (served hot). Mom made it often, and I used to as G loved it. I haven't done this in a quite a while, and I intend to soon. It is supposed to be a side, but it was almost always a meal for us!!!! Sooooo stinking good.Click on recipe to enlarge for easier reading.
Flourless Chocolate Cookies
Use whatever chips you have. Save the egg yolks for something else (I always add to eggs for scrambled). Easy and oh so tasty.Fall is the time for baking! Apples and pears are plentiful. You may have peaches or cherries or other berries you made into pie filling this summer.
I love a good crisp better than a pie. I like the crunchy top and all the good fruit.
I love adding oats to mine - sometimes, if I have them, I even add a few chopped nuts. Mmmmmm!Just seems like comfort food to me.
It is so good, a nice one pot meal, and very comforting. You can add what you have - nothing etched in stone. I always serve with salad or garlic toast.
*****1 can = approx. 2 C of homemade, and I often use 1/2 lb. of meat instead of a pound.
Just a few ideas for using things in the pantry and making something a little different and maybe new to you. It is getting to be the time for comfort food!!!!
ENJOY!!!!!
Do you have any old family favorites?
REMEMBER to click on any recipe or picture to enlarge for easier reading.
Wishing you all a beautiful day.








These all sound very good. I love the hot potato salad also but have not had it in years. I think I will do this when it gets a little cooler. It will be the main dish (only dish) here also.
ReplyDeleteI will be trying those cookies soon!
Tis the season! Comfort foods are always so good as the weather starts to change up. I need to make the potato salad too - it has been a long time, and it sure is good.
DeleteCookies are always a hit - and maybe these will be good for someone who is gluten free as well.
It is lovely outside right now. Still not past the hot weather; although since it does cool down considerably at night, it is tolerable.
ReplyDeleteEverything looks so yummy! I haven't made German potato salad in ages. We eat turkey bacon and since it has no fat, will probably add olive oil or butter. I always liked it because it wasn't mayo based. One dish I prepare that the Farmer didn't have before we married, is Harvard beets. I have been using our roasted beets in salads. His mother cooked vegetables until they were mush. Guess that was the way she was taught. Some women refuse to cook...can you imagine? We are eating figs right now...so good!
Rocky needs to go elsewhere. The squirrels will be upset when they can't find their winter stash. Guns drawn at high noon! ha!
My neighbor Karen came through her heart surgery just fine. I appreciate the added prayers. The lady (Allene) I told you about who had her right leg amputated is back in a rehab center. The surgery was in June and she has been to rehab, back to the hospital, rehab, home, and now another rehab place. I thank my Creator for the good health I enjoy every single day.
Making hamburger soup using the rest of the green beans and potatoes for lunch. Might add a bit of corn too.
Been a long time for me as well. It was something I grew up with. You can buy bacon grease (although expensive), but it might be something to think about for those odd uses!
DeleteI have never been a beet person for some reason. Mom and my brother have had them pickled and mom would cook as well - and it just has never hit my fancy.
Glad your neighbor is doing good. May she continue to heal and get home soon.
Hamburger soup - yum! Probably one of my favorite soups.
HEALTH (good) is everything. We that have it are so very blessed.
I've never eaten hot potato salad, though I'm sure it would taste great. I just think of it as a summer food.
ReplyDeleteOld family favorites are homemade mac&cheese, meatloaf, and though it sounds a bit odd, mashed potatoes. (Not all together at one meal). These are things I grew up with and still make regularly. I do miss my mom's baked beans made in the bean pot. I've never made them and my kids didn't care for them so no point in doing so now.
Hot potato salad tastes nothing like summertime potato salad. Nothing at all!!!!
DeleteI love mashed potatoes. Mac and cheese has always been a favorite too. I haven't made an actual meat loaf in ages - but do make meat loaf burgers now and then.
I'm getting hungry now!!!!!!
These are all good comfort and winter foods for me! Meat Loaf is a favorite - Every now and then I make it and then freeze in slices because it's just me. I love lentil soup and split pea soup in winter. Hot potato soup is good, and also great as cold potato soup in summer.
ReplyDeleteI no longer buy bacon but I will spend the money for bacon bits. Bacon is like "crack" for me, so it's best not to have it in the house, but the bits are great as a seasoning in eggs or on potatoes or on salads.
MaryB
Comfort foods are the best. I really like potato soup as well, well, all soups really.
DeleteI keep bacon bits on hand too - but I do have bacon in the freezer in smaller packs. I got such a great price at one time, that I split it up and vacuum sealed. A real treat. I am like you - if I fry it up, it ALL gets eaten! Period. Never had a piece of leftover bacon!
I love German potato salad.
ReplyDeleteIt is just so good - nothing else tastes quite like it.
Delete