Hello all my sweet friends. Welcome and I hope all are well.
It is a lovely morning here - the sun is shining and it is cool. It will get to 90*F today. I have been wrangling cats and shooing off Rocky the racoon this morning!!!!! Rocky is not afraid of anything - it even came to the back door this morning as if it were asking if breakfast was ready. Geesh what a morning.
To top that off - I was thinking it was Monday!!!!!!!!
Holidays do that to me all the time, and I am not sure why. I no longer work, and all my days are the same. I guess maybe because all the neighbors were home yesterday? That is all I can think of.
It sure is something to walk out back and get a bounty like this each morning. Some mornings the basket is almost full of peppers and others it is tomatoes. I eat a lot of both daily.
This weekend (Sunday and Monday) the weather was just about perfect. I got to sit on the porch a lot and enjoy the quiet of the neighborhood. Mornings are the best, as hardly no one was out. I also did walks - which I had suspended during the extreme heat.
Sitting on the porch, I am about 6' from the hummingbird feeder, and those little jewels were a constant guest at it. It is the same with the one by the kitchen. Standing at my kitchen window I am about 3' from it.
I seem to have 4 hummers (all look different), and boy are they eating. I keep trying to convince myself they were enjoying the cooler days - but I am afraid they are gearing up to leave. It is about that time.
Generally, they leave by mid-September. I leave feeders out until in Oct. for stragglers coming through.
It is so cool sitting there, watching them. I hear their little chirps and then here they come - drinking, chasing each other and sometimes just hovering in front of me! I tell myself they are saying 'thank you' - but they are probably wondering what that thing in front of them is!!!!!
I envy people that get to have them all year - I know some people do.
Shoot, I even put the trash bin out yesterday evening, as Tuesday is our pick-up day. Not this week - it will be a day later. So, part of me was thinking it was Monday, another part was thinking it was Sunday. Holidays do mess my head up!
I hope you all had a great long weekend. I didn't do anything special here at all.
What was up for your weekend? Did you have any last of the summer celebrations?
Well, I hope you that work, have a good shorter week.
Have a beautiful day, stay cool and stay healthy.
Share a smile today!
The little hummingbirds are a blessing for us! My sister-in-law had several who returned to their property every year and even laid eggs and hatched babies. That would be quite a sight!
ReplyDeleteYour harvest basket is beautiful! I froze some tomatoes yesterday as we didn't have enough to can. Erin came by last evening and asked if we had any more, that her roommate likes them. The Farmer found several more nice ones and we sent them home to Michelle. I can remember going to my Mom's house and you always came home with something, food, what have you. She was the quintessential Jewish mother. (Without being Jewish) I sure do miss my sweet mommy.
Right now it is lovely, but the heat will crank up soon. Lots of places are still in triple digits. My niece who lives in Florida said she is tired of the heat.
Rocky needs to relocate. It would be tragic if he is carrying a disease that would harm your kitties.
The holidays mess us up every time! When you don't work outside the home, it's easy to forget what day it is. I keep a calendar I printed out for Jacob's daily medicine so that helps.
I so enjoy the hummingbirds - flying jewels.
DeleteThanks - I thought it made a pretty picture. That was yesterday's haul - I filled it again this morning!
It is always wonderful to be able to share. Momma always wanted to feed people - anyone who came to the house and then there was iced tea!
I know - Rocky is a pain. The cats aren't bothered at all - unless it gets too close - then Momma cat gets a bit miffed and hisses. It backs off. This morning, Bits was a bit unnerved! He had never seen it before, and there it was in his face at the backdoor!
I sure wish more holidays weren't on Mondays! That always throws me for a loop - of course they all seem to.
Holidays always mess with my mind! My work days are different, the trash pickup is different, the mail is different. Right now the work thing doesn't matter as I'm on hiatus, there's no work for me to do. It will change, probably when I get really busy with other things then I'll be going back to work as well! :D
ReplyDeleteHow tiresome about the racoon. Good thing you keep all the cats' food cleaned up and don't leave any lying around out there... so there is not that much to tempt him, but I guess he can read whatever sign you have out saying "good home, good food". :)
Your harvest basket is wonderful! I have envy, but it's pointless as I've not really enough sun here and too much wildlife cruising through everyrhing I plant. Right now it is flocks of wild turkeys, scratch scratch scratch, eating everything they can find.
MaryB
It does get confusing. So much does change - boy, we are creatures of habit!
DeleteI think he can read that sign as well!!!!! No, at night there is never anything left out - kitties have to wait until morning after a nice dinner. I keep telling it to go across the road, she leaves food out at night.
Thanks, I am so blessed to have so much fresh food. It sure is good eating.
Goodness, I guess my racoon and an occasional possum isn't a problem. Glad I don't have all the things you have around.
That's a beautiful basket of fresh produce. I picked up a few things to make a nice pasta sauce for my daughter and I tonight for dinner, plus cucumbers for snacking and on sandwiches. Love the crunch! I'm thrown off too, but niw have a short week before the big dog goes with my daughter. Hoping my youngest can get settled in her new apartment. Love all the pets, but my house needs a very deep clean and organization.
ReplyDeleteThanks - lots of good eating. Cucumbers are so refreshing! Yay on you making a good sauce from the garden.
DeleteIt is confusing - but we manage I guess. Hope she gets all settled as well. A big new experience.
I am doing a lot of that DEEP cleaning this week. I swear I can make extra cats from dust 'kitties'!
Your produce all looks good. It's been a pretty good summer for it.
ReplyDeleteThe hummingbirds have been so busy here. It is like our backyard is a runway for them. If you google hummingbird migration map you can see the fall migration pattern and it's pretty cool. They start migrating from the north as early as August and make their way to Mexico. We've seen at least two or three different varieties in the last week or two.
TBG gets confused about holidays too and I think it's because if I'm home, it throws him all off. Your neighbors are probably doing the same to you.
Have a great day!!
Thanks - it sure does taste good. I have been blessed.
DeleteI so love the little birds - they are just a joy to watch. I feel the same in the last few days - it's like a highway. I think we are in the Sept 10-15 range on them leaving. I hate that. It is truly amazing how far they come and go.
I am sure it is because the neighbors are home - used to all being gone during the day. You would think I would be used to it by now!!
Nice harvest! I am like you and have thought today was Monday. It just feels like a Monday.
ReplyDeleteThanks. Yes, it does feel like a Monday - whatever that feels like. LOL
DeleteI am sure the hummingbirds are saying thank you.
ReplyDeleteIt is a nice thought. I sure will miss them.
DeleteOMGoodness. If you google "hummingbird feeding frenzy" you can find you tube videos... Amazing!
ReplyDeleteMaryB
I have a friend in CO that has dozens all the time, every day - she says she makes a gallon a day of nectar. Can't imagine such a sight.
DeleteThe videos are so cool.
Good day! I have been missing Millie's Cozy Cottage and tried to find her yesterday. It says unless you are invited you can't visit. I always just visited through your blog! Any ideas how to see her blog? Thank you :)
ReplyDeleteI get the same thing. She comes and reads here now and then, so maybe she will see this. Last I heard she was going to stop blogging at least for a while and just do life. I miss her as well.
DeleteThat is quite a bounty from the garden. Aren't fresh vegetables simply beautiful?
ReplyDeleteSadly, we had a very wet weekend, so there were no outdoor activities. Tomorrow and Thursday are supposed to be decent so we'll be starting the process of packing things away for the winter, and I'll pull most of the garden.
Thanks, and I get that much most days! They are just so pretty and so tasty.
DeleteGosh, we will be tending gardens here as long as possible - at least into October. I don't have much that gets put away for winter. Sorry you had a rainy weekend.