Howdy all on this Thursday morning. Hope this finds all well and safe.
It is a cooler morning, but very cloudy! We were supposed to get rain last night - none. Rain this morning - none. Now they are saying lesser chances of rain all day. It was supposed to rain most of the day - nope. It all seems to be the southern part of the state. Sigh, I will keep stretching that rain barrel water as long as I can.
Does anyone else do that? I know I can't be the only one. One of these days - is one of my favorite phrases around here. I have such good intentions on using the things I keep. Some craft project, sewing projects, gift it, reuse for another purpose, etc..................
I declutter and declutter and the stuff is still here. I can't imagine how much I would have, if I hadn't made some strides. Geesh.
I am a procrastinator!!!!! There I admit it.
I do get rid of broken things and junk stuff. Good stuff is another story. I have so many things I think I will use in crafting. SOMEDAY!
That button box can be tuned into pretty picture projects for any holiday. Those games that are missing parts - figure a craft project out. How about puzzles missing pieces? - same thing.
These are cute little projects and reuses things - they would also be fun projects for youngsters to do to make some special gifts!!!!!
All those bits of fabrics - use in making pillows, stuffed animals, handbags, quilts, etc.
IF you keep plastic containers from things - use them to gift cookies or candies in the holidays. Add some wrapping paper or colored paper to cover up the logo.
Old Christmas cards (fronts) can be used to make gift tags for next year or to use for lists and notes (I do both). The super pretty ones can be framed.
Boxes - use to box up all the crap you need to get rid of!!!!!!
Remember to donate what you can - bless someone else, reuse in new ways, or just trash it. Get creative.
Let's make it our mission to get our homes in order this fall and winter.
Wishing you all a great and lovely day.


My sweet mommy used to say, "You might need that someday!" Turns out she was right. I still use the bits of thread that she had wound on a piece of paper or cardboard. You list several of the multitude of uses for imperfect, odd pieces. If it is in good shape, I don't need it or can't use, possibly someone else can and would be thrilled with it.
ReplyDeleteI'm disappointed in the rain forecast. Our ground is so hard and dried out that it is very difficult to do any weeding. The Farmer brought in more tomatoes this morning. I am working on a little project for my neighbor who is waiting on her heart surgery (September 28), before she can have her hip replaced. I don't know how she is filling her days, definitely not cleaning house, tending her garden or even exercising. I complain and kvetch about what needs to be done, but at least I can do it! Puts everything in a new and fresh perspective. Anyway, I will take them some tomatoes when I deliver my project.
Enjoy your day! Hope kitties are all well. Would Bits like a housemate? Just sayin'. ha!
Yep, have said the same thing - and have needed some things.
DeleteIt is amazing the things that you do use up.
Very disappointed here as well. It got very pretty and sunny this morning, now it looks cloudy like rain again. Not holding my breath!
Nice of you to help out - so blessed to be able to do that.
Kitties are fine - but they are starting to get very independent - and roaming a lot, and that scares the stuffing out of me. I just pray God keeps them safe. I am doing my part.
I do not think Bits would want a housemate - he is pretty comfy and spoiled.
Unfortunately those big rubbermaid plastic containers are not too expensive, so I can keep all sorts of things! :) In the past it was all cardboard boxes, but these plastic one stack nicely. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm still trying to weed the house. I keep way too much, but I also have a list of what has been discarded or donated (with dates so I know I need to do something more *now*). Reading that makes me feel a bit better. A few years ago I worked very hard on the attic and even the bug man noticed the difference, how encouraging. :)
But there is this one storage room here, and it's full. Fortunately not all *my* stuff, most belongs to DS and DD. They'll have to sort it out when I die, or if I decide to sell and move into smaller quarters. :D :D :D Heh heh heh. Good times.
The very least I can do I sort through my own stuff and discard things or leave notes on stuff saying things like "Cousin Joan wants this". I'd give it now, but Cousin Joan doesn't have her own place yet, so it can stay here for the time being.
But there is always more to do. I have a basket in the back hall and anything I see that belongs in somebody else's home goes in there for the next donation..
Really it's kinda funny. I spent all my life (and a lot of money) gathering stuff and then suddenly realize "Oooops, I can't leave this mess for someone else to deal with!".
MaryB
I have a lot of those too - and they hold a lot. I keep way too much as well. We are not alone in too much stuff - I know there are others - just may not admit it!!
DeleteMom left note like that on things.
Good idea on the basket to drop things.
Your last paragraph says it all!!!! Yep we spend money, years and time collecting and then we want it gone. I have been through that house cleaning after someone dies, it isn't nice.
We had rain overnight and it's been raining lightly all day so far. We really need whatever we get.
ReplyDeleteI plan to have all of my fall cleaning done before the first week of October, then work on getting everything outside ready for winter.
Have a great day Cheryl!!
Oh you lucky gal! We need it so badly.
DeleteYou are on a roll with the cleaning. That is a great goal.
Thanks.
For games missing parts you can glue playing pieces to a frame (and paint it all one color if desired) for gift. A game board can be cut to create your own book cover.
ReplyDeleteOr you can always sell the remaining pieces of the game on Ebay for parts. Sometimes you can make more selling parts than selling the whole game.
What great ideas!!!! I love the frame idea. I have seen boards from board games used on game room walls - kind of neat.
DeleteI did not realize you can sell parts - cool!
Thanks!
I am laughing...my mom always cut the fronts off Christmas cards and used them as gift tags. (Very few family photo cards back then). I didn't like that...I wanted to buy the cute little pre-made tags that barely have room for the name and giver. Haha, on me---I am now using the card fronts as tags on large packages :)
ReplyDeleteLoved your post=too funny! I especially liked your take on saving boxes-use them to box up the stuff you need to get rid of-ha! I've never been a "keeper" & have had smaller houses so always have things I'm going to donate but I do have a problem with keeping containers of all sorts. I do reuse alot of them in the ways you suggested but @ times I do just have to purge some as I get too many. I just hate to see things wasted. Here in western Colorado we are finally having some cooler temps-low 90s 80s next week instead of 105+. Some rain in the mountains around us but not much here in the valley. Soon it will be winter-will be interesting to see what El Nino brings the different areas of the country. Hope you have a nice weekend. Lil
ReplyDeleteBlogger is acting up again - no posts in my reading list, so I had to go in to the list of blogs I follow to find your post.
ReplyDeleteDuring Covid times, I did a lot of crafting with various materials. I had a lot of fun with it, and a few things are still with me. However, I don't have the space I once had and so have really reduced the amount of things I have, both here and in my place in Yuma. There is still a closet of yarn at my son's though! That's something I have a bit of a problem with. :)
Yes blogger is acting up - I had to do the same to see yours on Wednesday.
DeleteI love that people do so much crafting - I think those things are neat. We can use so much of what we have accumulated to craft with just a little thinking. You love your yarn and use it often - that is not hoarding at all.
Kinda long, but definitely funny.........For the first time, I needed something I decluttered. I gave them away earlier this summer on our FB BuyNothing group. I couldn't even remember why I had them. Well, I made pesto 2 weeks ago (I haven't for 3y as I had plenty vac sealed in the freezer). Um, no containers. I need something I can "pop" the frozen cubes out of. Ice cube tray was a fail. My 1/2cup rubbermaid are a fail. If the CSA brings more basil, I will go hunt for them.
ReplyDeleteYou just never know!!!!! I think we have all done that, given something away or donated and then BOOM a week later we need it. Crazy how that works.
DeleteTHAT is why I keep stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is my story!
I'm not a "just in case" keeper. Generally, if I haven't used something in a year it is gone! The habit goes back to having 1 day to empty Mom's home for an immediate possession cash sale in a neighborhood where it took 2+ years to sell........
DeleteOne day to clean it out? Oh my goodness. That would have just been awful. I can't even begin to imagine. It took us weeks to clean out mom and daddies place. Makes it easier to understand why you feel the way you do.
DeleteI will join you in the Someday club. There are things I have an easy time getting rid of, but potential crafty stuff hangs around forever because I might just need it someday.
ReplyDeleteIt is easy to do! I agree crafty things are a problem for me too. One day that may well just be what I need! I agree, some things are easier than others.
Delete