Thursday, September 17, 2026

Thursday Chat and More Fun Charts

 Howdy all.  Hope everyone is doing good this Thursday.  I sure am missing some of you.  I hope you are all doing well.  Louise hasn't been on in a while.  Many others as well.
It is 75*F at 6AM this morning and getting the day started and getting ready for another hot one.

Well, yesterday early evening it got all dark and started grumbling outdoors - really didn't think we would get a drop of rain.  We did get a brief shower, which cooled the air a good 10 degrees.  Loving whatever we get - it is so dry.
Watched the cats - the wind blew as well - so there were leaves!!!  They would run in the greenhouse and then back out to attack leaves, then back in.  They had a ball.  I just love watching them.
Now Momma (the eldest) has decided to take leave for a bit and wonder around or move (not sure).  That is what I guess she did before showing up here last year.  Maybe she just got tired of the young-ins and their antics!  Anyhow, she has obviously spread the word about the cat buffet!  All of a sudden when she does come home, she has friends!!!!  Seriously Momma?  Just what I need - more cats eating along with Rocky!
I am definitely the 'cat lady'!!!!!  LOL

I read yesterday that we are now less than a 100 days until Christmas!  Here we are in the middle of September, and it is so stinking HOT!  We have higher temps predicted for over the next week.  Sure doesn't feel like fall in these parts.


I know many of us, don't feel like fall - but it will be chilly or cold before we know it.  It is always good to have a reminder of ways to stay warm, that really don't cost a thing.  I keep my t-stat fairly low, and just add clothes and socks around here.  I have throws and extra bedding.  I love comfort foods when the weather changes.
We can do so many things.  What do you do to stay warm, without bumping the heat up?

Things we all need, just in case.  This isn't just for winter.  I have all of these - but my big one that needs work - is the pet food.  I obviously need tons more!
I only have a little water around (although I do have tap water in jugs for plants, flushing etc.)  I do have a whole house generator, so hopefully would never lose power for any period of time.  It would be costly to run all the time, but I would stay warm and my freezer would stay on.

Are you ready for winter?  Are you ready for whatever?
It just helps to be prepared for anything.  You gals down south know this because of your hurricane preps over the years.  Anything can happen.  We need not panic or worry to extremes, but we should be as prepared as possible.
We all need to do the best we can - no matter the circumstances.  That is all we can do.

Have a wonderful day and weekend.

25 comments:

  1. I just love your blog, it feels like a real community. We also have a whole house generator and it is wonderful. We are rural and on well and septic. No hydro means no water as it is pumped in from the well. Also very little connection to the world. I am so thankful for what we do have available to us in this modern age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thank you so much. I think we do have a lovely community here, a lot of very caring and loving people.
      We got the whole house geni when my husband was alive. He needed to use his bi-pap machine often due to health issues - so it was imperative to have power. It hasn't come into use often, but sure is a comfort knowing it is there.
      Being rural and especially on a well - that would sure be the thing to have. They aren't cheap - but you can't put a price on some things.
      Glad to have you here - thank you for visiting.

      Delete
  2. Maybe because of reading about your cats, Cheryl, I had a big dream last night about discovering that my black-and-white cat Snuggy was alive and had been in the basement. (We don’t have basements here so go figure.)

    My favorite winter item is my electric blanket, a Biddeford bought at Big Lots 10+ years ago. When mom first suggested getting electric blankets years ago I said, “this is Florida!” But I have loved them. Every year now I wonder if this one will stop working. When it does, I think I’ll try buying a new controller from eBay. The new blankets, from what I read, are not nearly as good. Sunbeam is the primary maker. Biddeford only makes electric throws now.

    Last year in this house I felt chilly. My windows are old. I will put on sweats and drink tea.

    I would love to have a whole house generator but there is no natural gas in my area. I think the only other option is propane which would be hard. My electric company is getting ready (in next several months) to put the wires in this area underground. It will be a mess but good in the long run. In my old townhouse community we had underground wires and rarely lost power. Barbara M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaahh - at least you got to see kitty in dreams!
      I have never had an electric blanket - I really don't want to be hot in bed. I like the bedroom cooler, and can't stand my feet neither freezing nor hot! I guess that would be the same for my whole body.
      That would be a great idea for those liking to stay warm in the bed. I am sure they use little electricity.
      The generators are nice to have just in case. That would be great for your area to have underground electric cables. That seems like it would sure be a plus in hurricanes. Yep, it will make a mess doing it, but the rewards should pay off.

      Delete
  3. Still hot here in MO too but they are predicting a bit of a cool down next week. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here - cooler, but not anything cold by any means next week. I'll gladly take it!

      Delete
  4. Hope Momma Cat doesn't come back with more kittens! Cats love to chase leaves. Years ago, Erin had a remote control car and they cats loved to chase that car down the sidewalk.

    Even thought it is still summer hot, it is time to think about preparing for winter. The Farmer is trying to figure out how to keep heat (minimal) in the greenhouse so he can overwinter some plants and fruit trees. Ideally he would have access to electricity and water but that's a big expense to make that happen.

    Think we might have a tuna casserole for lunch. I used to add noodles but we don't eat many wheat products, so I substitute cauliflower crumbles. Quite tasty, actually.

    Enjoy your weekend! See you on Sunday! Maybe we'll have some rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sit outside after 'dinner' with the cats and play as well. I get something long and dangly and they chase it around. Gets them more used to people.
      It is the time to start planning for sure. Planning all sorts of things. Too bad he couldn't find a little solar set up cheaply.
      Your version of tuna casserole sounds very good. I will have to try that sometime.
      It is just so dry all around - hard to imagine there was so much rain a few weeks ago.
      Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I woke to 3C/37F this morning. We haven't yet turned on the furnace, but are using the oven more often. I'm not in any hurry to get out of bed either. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang it, that is chilly. I sure am not looking forward to that. Good for you on not turning on the furnace. I always wait as long as I can hold out - it is kind of a game for me!
      I wouldn't want to get out of bed either.

      Delete
  6. Hi Cheryl, I just wanted to stop by....The kitties sound so adorable. I appreciate the emergency lists...I probably need to get a new fire extinguisher, do they expire? I sure could use prayer, this is a very dark time for me... God be with us all....~Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have really been on my mind - you have prayers for sure. Hon, you have a lot on your plate right now and nothing that you can actually prepare for. I pray you can find some peace in life and start to move forward in baby steps.
      Yes fire extinguishers can expire - so either get it checked or get a new one.
      Stop by anytime - you are in my prayers.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so very much, Cheryl. Yes, yes, yes, there is a reason I have been on your mind....Yes, I need prayer. This is beyond hard, it's a nightmare. I'm beside myself and am having a time of it...Many things going on.... I feel like Job at times. I appreciate your sweet empathy....I'm trying so hard to be gentle with myself and take baby steps...I just feel so in the dark. Flashbacks haunt me, all kinds of flashbacks... God bless you Cheryl, just know there is a reason I am on your mind. I appreciate your sweet and understanding response so much. ...You have no idea.

      Delete
  7. I hope your mama cat isn't in heat. Or you'll have *more* kittens. They sure are fun to play with though. :)
    It's not so hot here, but on Saturday we go sing and it will be *hot* there, in the 90s. Thank heaven for airconditioning.
    Good charts about staying warm and emergency things to keep on hand. Thanks for those. :)
    MaryB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Momma is good. Shouldn't be any more kitties there.
      They are so fun.
      Glad you will be in AC, but enjoy yourself . It sounds fun.
      You are welcome.

      Delete
  8. It is still very warm here, but September is always hot.
    I like your winter preparedness lists.
    We don't have a whole house generator, but we do have a portable one to use for the freezer. It does not stay cold here long enough to have to worry about keeping the house warm for extended periods of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of our warmest Sept. in years. We usually don't have so many 90's.
      Nice that you have a way to keep that freezer going - that could be awful. I wish we didn't have to worry about keeping the house warm - lucky you.

      Delete
  9. Those are very good lists. I think I ought to get a new fire extinguisher. I have had mine since we moved to this house 37 years ago, so it is probably well past being of any use in an emergency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yep, I think it is time to get a new one. You sure wouldn't want to find out the hard way.

      Delete
  10. I have so missed you and you are back!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been here - never went away. Darned old blogger was the problem. Glad you can see me now!!!!

      Delete
  11. Like Maebeme, it was just above freezing here this morning. Thank heavens there was cloud cover as I still have lots to bring in from the garden.... Okay tomatoes, lots and lots of them. We still need to dig onions and potatoes as well.
    Not sure if I am prepared for winter or not, but what is left to purchase will be done over the next couple of months.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh I hate that is already that chilly there. Get those tomatoes in - even the green ones. They will ripen inside. I always do that at the end of the season - and usually have tomatoes until Christmas. Good luck getting it all in.
      I am not a fan of winter - but probably as prepared as can be.

      Delete
  12. I recently discovered your blog and I'm so happy I did. I am preparing for winter even though the heat and humidity here in NC has been brutal. I have most of the items on the emergency list but need to replenish a few especially cat food. How many cats are you feeding? I haven't made it to cat lady status yet but we have several strays in our neighborhood that seem to know our house is the place to go lol. We do have a portable generator and so far have been fortunate enough not to have to use it. Have a great weekend.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela - so glad you found your way here. I think we have a lovely community of people, and we love getting new people.
      Hopefully it won't be too bad during the winter - but I tell you, anymore you just never know. Seems no states are safe from bad weather.
      I have one indoor cat, and I feed at least 8 outside - they live here, and I have shelter for them. Then there is an occasional new one that stops by, I do not encourage that! And the darn racoon comes too at times. He is about to go live somewhere else if I can live trap him. I don't live rural - but there sure is wildlife. Then I feed the birds and squirrels as well. I truly do believe I spend more on animals than me for food!! Yep, I am the cat lady!!!!!! LOL
      I swear the animals put a sign out somewhere, that tells others where the buffet is!
      Glad to have you here. Thanks for taking care of the kitties!!!

      Delete