Sunday, September 13, 2026

Weekly Wrap Up 9/13

 Hello to all and happy Sunday!  So happy to have you here and hoping all are well.
It is a beautiful morning here, and it looks to be a lovely day.  Tomorrow sounds as if it will be near perfect temps (for me) and then we get back to 90* for a few days.  Summer doesn't want to go away for sure.  That is ok, as the garden is still growing and some of the flowers are still pretty.

We did finally get some much-needed rain early on Saturday and thunderstorms.  I got up and didn't see Bits anywhere and knew he must be hiding.  He does not like thunder.  I look all over and nothing, then I walked back in the bedroom, and there was the lump under the covers!  He had been under the covers and in bed with me the whole time, and I didn't know it!  Too cute.

Boots and Patches (2 of outdoor kitties) seem to have taken lessons from Rocky the racoon.  They now like to stand with their front paws in the water bowl when drinking!!!!!  When done, they lick their paws dry.  It is hilarious to watch.

Just from this week!  Not counting all I have eaten daily and what I gave away.  It has been a good year.

I hope you get to see this post - blogger is all screwed up again!!!!  They have not updated anyone's posts all week.  So, it looks like people aren't posting (they are).  If you have regulars you read, and have your own blog, go to your blogroll and click on the name of the blog you want to see (not the post) and you will see the newest one.  If you do not have a blog, just check your favorites on the days you know they blog (most are consistant).  I wish they would get these problems taken care of, this is a pain and it may cause problems for some that get paid something for readers (show ads).  REMINDER - I post new posts on Sun., T, W, Th.

My frugal week:
  • Have received lots of FREE premium channels with Direct TV this week for some reason, and I have recorded a couple new things to watch (not a lot of interest for me)
  • Put out the fall yard flags and door decorations
  • Got to have windows open off and on, getting fresh air and no AC
  • Cleaned off my corner hutch - it seems to be a catch all
  • HARVEST - as you see above the tomatoes were crazy.  They are slowing some now, but still plenty of green ones and blooms galore.  Peppers are crazy and cukes are starting a new growth spurt w/lots of little ones
  • Had a craving for mashed potatoes, so made some fancy ones (like twice baked) in the air fryer
  • Made more cheese stuffed peppers for freezer
  • Refreshed the bushes out back with a tiny trim
  • Repaired and stabilized the bird bath on the handrail (ugh Rocky!)
  • Canned salsa
  • NO grocery shopping (stayed home all week)
  • Paid bills by phone
  • Hummer feed - they are still here!!!
  • Used up freezer and fresh bits to make taco 'stoup'
  • Continuing to deep clean for fall
  • Used the air fryer several times - so as not to use the oven
Weekly frugal meals:
Tenderloin sandwich and salad
Smoked sausage on bun and a big salad
Fancy mashed pots, poor man's Swiss steak
Leftover day and fresh veggies
Fried green tomatoes and a yogurt
Taco 'stoup' with tortilla chips (froze extra)
Roasted cheese, burger, bacon, pepper and tomato flatbread
SNACKS - peanut butter w/apples, yogurt, tomatoes, tomato sandwich, salsa and chips

Just doing all the basics and eating what I have and cooking simple.  I have so enjoyed the summer foods, and they have helped me lose weight and feel healthier as well.  Win-win.
How was your week?  Have you done anything exciting?  Any deals?  Gardening still and/or canning or freezing for the winter months?
I look forward to hearing from you all, and I am missing many of you who haven't checked in for a bit.  Hope all is well.
Wishing you all a great week ahead.
Blessings to you and yours from me at my humble little home.
**********************

Do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may prove what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Romans 12:2

Dear Lord, again we come giving thanks for all the blessings we receive each day.  Please help us each one to be representatives of Your word and ways.  Let everyone realize just because things are accepted by many, that they are not right or following of Your word.  May we be the beacons who tell Your word to others and help all to find the perfect love You give us. Please continue to lay Your loving and healing hands upon us all.  AMEN

14 comments:

  1. No summer heat here! There's frost on the windshield this morning, the furnace has been coming on the past few nights, and I wore a winter coat with a togue & gloves yesterday when I attended a First Nation's powwow. I'm envious of your tomatoe crop. Mine was paltry & even local producers were affected by the heavy rains this spring. I will certainly miss my home canned tomatoes & salsa if I'm unable to purchase any. The oven element burned out & it's a challenge to find a replacement. It will be stove-top & slow cooker meals for awhile & no baking. I would rather be without a phone than the oven. A wheelbarrow of weeds was taken from the perennial bed & the grass was cut. I managed to give away some spaghetti & patty pan squash when I attended a house concert on Fri night. Reading: Be Ready When the Luck Happens: memoir by Ina Garten; Ripper by Isabel Allende. In the kitchen: chocolate zucchini cake; king ranch chicken; corn on the cob. Have a good week, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frost and furnace? Oh my. I am sorry. I can't even imagine cold weather here for quite some time to come. Cold enough for a winter coat and gloves is cold in my book.
      Sorry you had problems with garden production this year because of the rains. I hope you can get some reasonably priced tomatoes to work with.
      It always sounds like you do such interesting things!
      Mmmm the food all sounds good.
      Have a great week and stay warm!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful harvest!
    We avoided the frost last night, but it was only 1C/32F this morning when I woke. The volunteer tomato plants in the perennial bed this morning, may have a chance of fruiting as the weather is supposed to be a bit warmer for the next couple of weeks. We'll see.
    I am so annoyed with Blogger. I use the "manage" button to find my blog list and then go through them. First comment issues, now this, what is next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, for such a late start, the tomatoes have done fantastic.
      Oh my, that is cold. You and Mona both with colder weather - that just isn't right - not yet! I hope you plants do ok.
      I am very annoyed with Blogger as well. I don't get it - it truly is a pain in the butt. They can change things and not tell us and those happen right away - but can't take care of updating and yes, the comments was a real pain - but at least it just lasted a day. This has been all week. Grrrrr.
      Have a super week and here's hoping it gets fixed!

      Delete
  3. We have early fall temps and so perfect for me. I don't think theres a better picture than a beautiful bowl of produce. Your tomatoes look delicious and will be enjoyed in the colder months I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee you are having fall temps too? I think it will be a month or so before we get fall temps.
      I do love pics of fresh produce. Oh goodness, I and my neighbors have been enjoying them daily, and then they will be tasty this winter indeed. I eat so many now, I am surprised I haven't tuned into a big tomato!!! LOL
      Have a lovely week.

      Delete
  4. I hope Blogger can fix these issues they are having soon. I can't wait to open the windows and air out the house, lucky you! We are still in the 90s here, but I am looking forward to cooler weather. What a bunch of beautiful tomatoes! You should be proud of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it sure is aggravating, and the fact it is affecting everyone - you would think they would get it fixed. You know people have had to complained. It is amazing how a nice drive in either direction can give such different temperatures. Hope you cool a bit.
      Thanks - they sure have been yummy. I am so happy they did so well this yea. They were slow to start.
      Have a beautiful week.

      Delete
  5. That's a great looking harvest. Our tomatoes did really well this summer also. We gave a lot away. The serrano peppers I planted are the gift that keeps on giving! I don't know what I'm going to do with them. I wasn't planning on making salsa but I might have to. It has rained here this morning but it will heat up again the middle of the week. I'm waiting for more of the tomatoes to ripen. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have been pleased. Glad you tomatoes did well as well. Can you maybe roast the peppers and then freeze for later? Or stuff and freeze. Peppers here, have done great too.
      Sala is so good with so many things. Shoot, I use it in soups and chili too.
      Glad you got some rain - it sure helps the gardens. Going to warm up mid week here too. I would just love a stretch of 70's. Hope you get more tomatoes.
      Thank you and you have a great one and a blessed week.

      Delete
  6. Excellent devotional! Yes, let us be the beacons to shed the love of the Father on all.

    Lookit all them 'maters! The Farmer is still harvesting tomatoes, too. The peppers are starting to look much better. The peach ghost pepper is going crazy. Erin has been taking some and sharing them with her friends. The last green bean planting is taking off, too. Maybe we'll have enough to can. The other green beds didn't do too well. We had bok choi on our taco bowls yesterday since the lettuce isn't growing very well in this heat. Mmm, fried green tomatoes. We have beets to harvest too.

    That's funny about the kitties mimicking the racoon. Cats are very smart. Did you ever notice how cats get embarrassed and quickly start washing, like "I meant to do that"?

    Enjoy your day! I need to go out and tackle weeds again...and then, maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure have been tasty 'maters'. That is the one thing I miss in winter. Oh goodness, I could never do ghost peppers - she must have a tummy of steel.
      Glad your garden is still doing good.
      Cats are very smart!!!!! Everything they do is just so funny to me. Shey sure do keep clean.
      It is pretty, but starting to get humid and warm. I'd wait until tomorrow!!!!
      Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  7. Fantastic crop of tomatoes, Cheryl!

    Last week I celebrated my birthday with two luncheons with friends. I had sushi for the first time with one friend. Second luncheon was on Friday, 9/11, and I wore the same ribbons I wore for many weeks after that fateful day. We all worked together back then and had been together that day 25 years ago.

    I dropped three boxes of donations at Salvation Army, mostly household goods and bedding. I also gave them a good set of plastic drawers that I had in my previous laundry room but do not need now.

    Bought four new tires for my car and had the front brake pads and rotors replaced. Put it on my cc to earn points and already paid the bill online.

    Worked in the yard a bit but it is still so hot here. The heat and humidity have affected me more this year. I noticed there were oak “saplings” (I guess they are called) growing up through the biggest azalea bushes in the back yard and I tackled that but there is more to do because I had let them get out of control.

    I booked three flights in the next 6 months because I think plane fare is only going to increase. Got very good prices on two and an OK price on one. I’ve paid two out of three and will pay the bill for the third in the next week.

    I’m trying to pay everything I can from cash flow. I have car insurance this month and a dental visit next month. I will pay my property taxes in November out of my sinking fund which is a high-yield savings.

    Missed the boat on gas and didn’t buy it until the price was up .17. I bought extra toilet paper (Walmart, decent price but not as good as Publix sale price normally) and now see it has been removed from the tariff list. Oh well. Barbara M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy belated birthday!!!!!! Sounds like you had some lovely celebrations.
      Yard work is tough when it is so hot. Be careful. Good going on the vehicle maintenance - that should help keep you safe.
      Wow, smart thinking on booking the flights now.
      I generally pay both summer and fall taxes at the same time in the summer. Just gets it out of the way - and I won't forget. We only get billed once. Nice to be able to use your cash flow.
      I haven't bought anything special because of rising prices - I will either pay or do without on some stuff. But smart to be ahead of the game.
      Have a special week.

      Delete