Hello to all and happy Sunday. I cannot believe it is already the 20th!! They say time flies when you're having fun! Having fun yet??? LOL
I think we have passed to 90*F mark finally. We have had the hottest September on record in our lifetime, this year. There hadn't been this many 90* days in Sept. since 1926! Next week will be more normal for this time of year, with highs in 70's! YAY!! Looks like we start fall equinox in a normal way.
Be kind, be positive, be a fixer - not a nasty, hateful and vindictive person. The latter sure isn't attractive.My frugal week:
- On Monday (it was cooler and dry) - I mowed and trimmed the whole yard. Did leaves from tulip tree as well. It all looked so pretty (it had been 2 weeks)
- Canned 6 more pints of salsa (for gifts)
- Took in the side panels of an older bra that is just for home comfort. I have 3 that I wear around here, because they are comfy - but all are pretty stretched out. I got one done and have the other 2 to do yet. (I do have good ones for going out!)
- Laundry and using dehumidifier water - hung to dry
- I did do a store run for cat food! (go figure). I also got 5lb. mandarins for $5, corn on cob .33 ea., 1 lb. packs of radish - sale .85 ea. (2), 2 lb. carrots, milk (2.29 gal.). I also got 5 tins of tuna to add to pantry for extra stock
- Put shelf liner in my upper kitchen cabinets
- Made a quart & pint of a pepper/salad mix. Used banana peppers, radish, onion, carrots in a sweet/tangy brine. It will be good for a bite as is, on tacos, added to salad or even on a burger (it is good!) Made like refrigerator pickles - no processing
- Lopped some lower hanging branches from the maple tree. I need to get a really long handled trimmer soon, so I can do more - a girl and her tools!
- Started working on the upright freezer some. So much I had forgotten about. I took out a couple packs of chunks and pieces of pork and thawed and put in crockpot yesterday. Will make several good meals fixed in different ways (it is now shredded)
- HARVEST - toms and peppers. Slowing way down. There are lots of green toms out there and tons of little peppers - all are still blooming
- Worked some on the back handrail - (straightened and stabilized). It really should come down, as it isn't much good for a person (not super sturdy). But the cats and squirrels have a ton of fun climbing and sharpening! Next spring it will come down and maybe be replaced with something new.
- Doing more deep cleaning - where do all the dust bunnies come from?
Budget friendly meals this past week:
Summer sausage, cheese, flatbread and veggie plate
Tuna patty, cheesy tomato pasta
Fish sandwich, corn on cob, tomatoes
Dirty rice, corn on cob, tomatoes and cukes
l/o rice with ham (from Easter), slaw (home canned), tomatoes
Loaded burger, corn on cob
Beef nachos
Just trying to keep up and get ahead a little with fall chores. Seems there is always plenty to do. I need tomatoes out of freezer and make more salsa or can just plain tomatoes. More deep cleaning and I need to take some things to the thrift store.
I look forward to cooler temps, to not use AC or heat and have the windows open a lot.
What is going on in your world? Any good deals this week? How are the gardens doing?
I do hope this finds you all well and safe. Wishing each of you a pleasant week ahead and praying you stay positive and spread joy.
Blessings to you and yours from me at my humble little home.
**********************
He who tends the fig tree will eat its fruit, and he who guards the master will be honored. As in water face answers to face, so the mind of man reflects the man.
Proverbs 27: 18-19
Lord our thanks go up for all the many blessing we received each day. Thank You for each new day. Help us each to know that our words and actions are representative of what is in our minds and hearts and what type of person we really are. May we all exude praise not hatred, as hatred hardens the heart. Help us each one to be more like our Christ and show kindness and love. May we all realize that putting negativity into the world, does not make the world better. Thank You for loving us. AMEN

Good morning, Cheryl & all. The rhythm of the seasons brings me great comfort. To everything there is a season. I hear you re: "home clothes." Garden harvest is complete; the corn stalks & squash plants & zinnnias, all touched by frost, were removed yesterday. The plan is to till the garden today. Store bought tomatoes were used to make 4 qts of salsa. 50lbs of tomatoes were bought from a Hutterite colony & will be canned when ripe. Grass was cut & windows washed (just in time for an onslaught of flies!). The hunt for an oven element continues. I attended an autumn retreat with sound bowls, accupuncture, nature walk & foraging, nutritious food. The neighbor little spent a day with me - puffed wheat squares, rock painting, weiner roast on an open fire - then to gymnastics class. There was a surprise visit from childhood neighbors. In the kitchen: wonton soup, butter chicken mac & cheese, roast pork sandwiches, corn on the cob.
ReplyDeleteIt is kind of comforting knowing that everything on this earth has a season. Oh I have lots of 'home' clothes!!! Bras are expensive, so I have the good ones for looking nice - around here, it just a decency kind of thing. LOL
DeleteSorry the garden is done, but it sounds like are you are OK with it and you have a plan.
I hope you find the heating element sooner than later.
Your retreat sounds neat. I would be interested in that. Mom used to have acupuncture for her back - back in the 70's. Lots of people thought she was crazy, but it sure helped her.
Sounds like fun times with the little.
Food wise, sounds like our minds have been in the same place!
Have a fantastic week.
Happy Sunday! Things are quietly moving along here at my home. For health, I am attempting to reduce or eliminate caffeine after seeing the doctor this past week. So, I am now mixing fifty-fifty caffeine and decaf coffees to reduce things a bit. I went thrifting yesterday, looking for some things my brother requested, it’s sad to see the increased prices, especially on books. I like physical books but am now comparing their price with e-books. The most expensive part of the outing was filling the gas tank. Several relatives are coming to visit soon so, I am preparing by planning menus, activities, and purchasing groceries ahead of time. I brought several houseplants in after they spent the summer on the patio. I made homemade Cafe Vienna mix. Have started moving summer wardrobe out of the closet and putting winter clothing in.. putting away fans, etc. And I am still healing from the liver transplant so things go a bit slower than normal still. I am going to have my relatives help with fall chores for part of their visit, one of them already volunteered. I took a break from crafts but plan to pick up crocheting and wreath making again this coming week. The plan is to make several Christmas wreaths with what I have on hand in craft supplies. One relative is driving out so it will be easy for them to take their wreath with them. Julie V
ReplyDeleteReally good to hear from you. I am always wondering about your progress. I quit caffeine years ago - it was just having a negative impact on me. I now put JUST 1 Tbs. of instant in my morning drink - and that is it. Everything else is caffeine free.
DeleteI want a physical book as well. I have only tried to read books on line a couple times, and didn't like it. I do use the library and Ollies is here, and has a good and inexpensive new book section. Goodwill is almost like paying for new now! I stopped going there and only use the smaller places.
You will sure enjoy all the company I bet. It sounds like you are looking forward to it.
It sounds like you are ready for fall/winter. I don't have so many clothes, that I actually have to change out wardrobes. Everything is pretty much out.
I am glad you will have help with the fall chores. I bet the wreaths will be loved.
You continue to take care of yourself and do all the 'right' things. Slow and easy!
Have a wonderful week.
Your devotional is wonderful! We need to show the love of the Messiah to others, let them see that love in us. My dad always wanted all of us kids to be saved, but he didn't show the love of the Master. It haunts me that my oldest brother said that he didn't see anything that Daddy had that he wanted. It is not about attending church every time the doors are open, it is about letting your light shine. My Scripture study this morning was the first book of Leviticus. It reminded me of the old hymn, "Give of Your Best to the Master."
ReplyDeleteYou had a busy week! I will surely be happy to see the backside of the heat. Texas is still in the 100's, as well as Florida. Ryan Hall at Y'all weather speculates that we will have a mild winter. From his lips to God's ear!
Speaking of under-lovelies, I wear the stretchy sports bras at home. I have a large rib cage and a tight bra with underwires just about takes my breath away. If we are going somewhere I will pull out one with more support so my girls aren't on my belly. Ha!
I made a tuna casserole on Friday and we ate the rest on the Sabbath. Today will be freshly picked green beans with small potatoes and some onion from the garden. There is enough of the chickpea and beet (fresh from the garden) salad for a side.
We need to trim some tree branches but will do that closer to Sukkot, so we can put them on the roof of the back porch like we did last year. It isn't feasible for us to build a booth so we use the structure of the porch to decorate. Obviously we don't have access to palm branches, but it looked really nice using the tree branches hanging over the edge. It was kind of like a little treehouse.
Get through today which will be hot, and then enjoy the cooler temps! North of us is still getting rain. Those poor folks.
Thank you. I see so many people each day displaying such hatred and vitriol, that really don't realize how it makes them look to others. It is really sad. We are supposed to be good representatives. Some say one thing and do another.
DeleteI will gladly be done with 90's. I have heard several sources say our area should be mild.
I am having green beans and potatoes today!
That sounds neat to use your limbs.
It looked like rain yesterday, but we just got couple drops. I agree, those poor folks.
Have a wonderful week.
Still extremely ( mid to upper 90’s) hot here! I bought catfish nuggets (locally grown and processed here) at grocery store, 2 lbs for $3.97. A lot cheaper than a catfish filet. I don’t eat fired food much so I just stuck them in a cast iron skillet with edamame and broccoli, spices and Worcestershire sauce with a little soy and cooked in olive oil till done on top of stove, flipping once. Mare something sausage and served with broccoli. I gave up on lettuce and uncooked greens this summer bc I was afraid of getting sick with my stomach issues. I cook on weekends and mostly heat up during work week.. Have a great week! Cindy in the South
ReplyDeleteCooler sir will be coming! Your fish sounds good. I don't fry a lot in oil, I use the air frier or skillet like you did. Yours sounds good. It is amazing that you can skillet cook things with very little if any oil. Many don't realize that.
DeleteCool to cook once and eat all week. Save on those busy days.
Have a super week.
“Fried” for “fired” food …. lol. Cindy in the South
ReplyDeleteI for one am glad to see the 90's go for the time being. I am sure I will welcome it for awhile next summer. No mowing her because of the constant rain/humidity. It will happen when it happens.
ReplyDeleteThis week I combined digital coupons and 5 off 25 coupons to stock up on detergents and such....using some in Christmas baskets. Might sound weird but no one in the family needs more "stuff".
Was given 2% milk that was going to be trashed because it was the "day of". I froze 3 gallon and made mozzarella cheese from the 4th gallon. It turned out well and was a very interesting experiment. If given more milk I will do it again.
Found some good meat sales, bought for sharing with family. Found pork shoulder butt for 1/2 price and bought 2, one for DD's. I cut mine into roasts and a bag of bits and pieces to be used for pulled pork nachos or BBQ.
Canned 14 pints of diced tomatoes for DD's. They were overrun with tomatoes and working long hours so I did them up for them. I am retired and happy to help.
We had to buy extra pint jars for honey and salsa making but luckily found them marked own at the local DG.
We continue to prep for cold weather, need to pick up pinecones for the flower beds but it needs to stop raining so I can get that done.
JC
It will be nice to have some cooler days. Refreshing. I mowed as I didn't the week before because of heat - sorry you are so wet still. Humidity is supposed to fall a lot here this week.
DeleteNot weird to me - giving people things they can use just makes since in todays world. Good use of the milk.
Good deal on the pork. That is what I got out the other day - bits and pieces from cutting up loins. So nice of you to help out with the canning.
Hope you get a break from rain, so you can get your work done.
Have a beautiful week.
We read this week that we are in some kind of heat dome right now, but rest assured cooler temps are supposed to be coming. I know it's remained so hot and humid here and I'm ready for some relief.
ReplyDeleteYour pepper salad mix looks delicious and reminds me of chow chow, which is so good and refreshing. Good job on getting some salsa done for some gift giving this year.
I found some clippers marked down to $5 this past week and went to town cutting and trimming bushes in the yard. It's so satisfying to step back and look and see how much better it looks all neat and tidy like that. I hope you have another good week ahead.
Relief will be much appreciated. It has been hot.
Deleteit is kind of like that - not fine enough for relish, but kind of chow-chow like.
It sure is nice to see our yards after working in it. Gives a sense of pride and joy. $5 is a great deal!
Have a special week.
I am waiting for an overcast day so that I can play with my new long-handled window cleaning tool. So much dust has stuck to my upstairs windows over the summer it is unreal. At the moment we are having nicely warm sunny days or dark and rainy ones.
ReplyDeleteI went through some old clothes and made a bit of room in the drawers under my bed this week and then tried to buy some curtain linings to replace the ones in my bedroom that had begun to split. I had made a temporary repair but when I was unable to find the right size to replace them I decided to see if I could do a more long term repair. I think I managed it, but time will tell.
That sounds like a handy gadget! Hope you get a day to get your job done. It is always nice to clean out and get rid of stuff. I would think it is fair to say we all have too much.
DeleteGood going on the repair. Hopefully it lasts another year.
Have a fantastic week.
Sounds like a productive week. Hope your temps do cool off, though that will certainly mean fall is here. Our leaves are turning colour now.
ReplyDeleteThanks. I am ready for a little cool off. 90's get old for long periods of time. We are still very green on the trees here.
DeleteEnjoy the beauty of the season. Have a great week.
It sounds like you've been busy. I'm working on my Fall to do list and checking things off which always feels good. Things in the garden are slowing down but there is still quite a bit coming in. I'll probably wait another week or two before I cut all of my herbs back. That will be an all-day thing to process them. I'm glad the heat is finally leaving us. We broke all kinds of records here too. Have a good week and enjoy the cool down.
ReplyDeleteFall is that time of the year! Seems we wind down, yet have a lot to do. How nice to have that many herbs. Sure saves money.
DeleteIt will feel so nice this coming week. Looking forward to it as well.
Have a special week.
I don't really understand why books at Goodwill & other thrift stores have gone up so much. Five years ago places were basically giving them away. A book for 50 cents or a dollar was worth the convenience of not getting it at the library but now if I see an interesting title I make note of it & get it from the library!
ReplyDeleteI went through my shoes and was able to get rid of 8 pairs. Now that part of my closet is nice and neat and I know what I need for the future. I'm not a shoe person. I tend to wear the same 2-3 pairs but my daughter gave me a bunch of her shoes she couldn't wear after having a baby plus the shoes I'd bought for my daughters' weddings. Just a big messy pile so I tried everything on and honestly considered what I'd actually wear. There was a time I owned only 3 pairs of shoes. I just don't like shopping for shoes. But with 2 grown daughters who like buying shoes I get hand me downs which is great because I don't have to go shoe shopping. It gets to be a bit much though.
Books are silly priced at thrift stores, I agree. I used to get them at yard sales too - but haven't been to a yard sale in ages.
DeleteGood for you for letting things go. I really have a lot of clothes to get rid of that haven't been worn for probably a few years. Like you and your shoes, I tend to wear the same things over and over. Nice you don't have to buy them - they aren't cheap!
Have an awesome week.
Hi Cheryl, I am sorry for not commenting lately. I have had some life changes recently and while I process those, have just kept to myself. I have been reading though and tales of your kitties, birds and Rocky have been a small joy. Take care, Louise.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you checked in. I have really been worried about you. Sorry life has gotten shaken up. I wish I could reach out and help. You take care of yourself and check in now and then, just so I know you are ok. Prayers for peace and comfort in your life.
DeleteHave a good week.
We got some much needed rian! Also the temps are dropping, and it may feel more like fall is coming this next week.
ReplyDeleteMaryB
So happy for you. It rained overnight here, and will rain this morning as well. Yep, a much cooler week here too.
DeleteFall actually starts this week, so funny how it all works.
Have a great week.
You’ve had a busy week. Good on you. Jean in Manitoba
ReplyDeleteDidn't seem too much to me - but I got things accomplished. It always feels good.
DeleteHave a lovely week. Nice to have you here.
We had lots of rain over the weekend and the weather will be in the 60's this coming week. It has definitely cooled off. It had been so dry before that, that we didn't have to mow the yard, but I'm sure we will this next week or so. On Saturday we had family over for birthday celebrations. We had lasagna, salad, garlic bread, devilled eggs, cake and ice cream. We had a great time! Darcy
ReplyDeletewe are getting the rain this morning! We sure do need it. t sure has cooled - upper 60's here most of the week. Nice break, actually.
DeleteSounds like a fun time with a lot of good eats!
Have an awesome week.
I got you back!!! Finally, happy, happy joy, joy!!
ReplyDelete