Sunday, October 11, 2026

Weekly Wrap Up 10/11

 Hello to all this fine Sunday.  I hope you are all well and safe.
Happy Thanksgiving to all our Canadian friends this weekend!
Hoping that all our southern friends are safe from any harm or damage from the hurricane.
It is 60* this morning, and now dry.  We had a little soft rain last evening late.  The ground sure does need it.  Yesterday stayed pretty cloudy, but it was nice in the 70's.  I have been out to feed already, and it is very cloudy and foggy, and it actually felt like there was a fine mist.  I sure have been enjoying the warmer days that continue - I know all good things come to an end eventually.
Thought this looked festive and fall-ish!

My frugal week:
  • Made a small pot of broccoli cheese soup, with a potato diced up in it
  • Mowed and trimmed
  • Did lots of yard clean up, pulling, cutting and clearing.  Put away the hose from out back
  • NO heat or AC this week, and windows open a lot
  • Did a big dust
  • Darning socks
  • HARVEST - lots of peppers, a few tomatoes and cukes
  • Went to grocery of course for cat food.  Did get milk - 2.49/gal., eggs - 18/$2, and fruit - apples and mandarins and a few grapes
  • I stopped a got 2 loaves of Artesano Brioche style bread - FREE.  It is thick cut and can be used for many things - toast, garlic bread, French toast, stuffing, etc.
  • Shredded up the oldest 1 lb. cheese I had (cheddar) and froze - froze on a pan and then bagged
  • Did a lot of walking and picking up trash (it has been windy)
  • Picked a bouquet of NE asters
  • Washed windows and doors, and sills and jambs, and frames and mirrors (I get on a roll!)  Then went on to stove and frig and kitchen floor!
  • Made a small batch of biscuits
  • Meals from home and using what I have
  • Laundry in cold and hung it to dry
  • Working of all the normal stuff
Budget meals this past week:
Cheesy broc./potato soup
Chicken Lo Mein (made w/spaghetti) and salad
Broccoli soup
Fish and fries (air fryer) and tomatoes
Cheese/sausage stuffed banana peppers (air fryer) and salad
Sausage gravy and biscuits, toms & cukes
Dbl. jalapeno/cheeseburger and steamed broccoli
SNACKS - milkshake, popcorn and fruit
Cream cheese, cheddar and sausage stuffed banana peppers topped with more cheddar cheese.  10 minutes at 360* in air fryer.  They were so yummy.

I think I am starting to get back on track.  The week before this, I just didn't feel like doing much.  I am regaining my energy and my oomph!  I am so grateful I can still do so many things.  This week will probably be picking most of the garden, as next weekend gets much cooler, after a couple days in the 80's.  I guess we will see what the week brings forth.

How was your week?  I sure do hope everyone is safe - so many things going on weatherwise.  Did you get any good deals?  Any gardening still being done?  
Wishing you all a splendid week ahead, stay healthy, and wishing all well.  So glad we had so many new folks stop by and post this week - I am so grateful for you all.
Blessings to you and yours from me at my humble little home.
**********************

"Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself.  Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day."
Matthew 6:34

Dear Lord, we give thanks for all our many blessings.  Thank you for the opportunity to be here this fine day.  Yes, please help us each to know that Your will be done, and all the worry, stress and anxiety that we feel, does nothing to help us.  May we lift all our worries and troubles to You and may we always praise the way You handle them in our lives.  I know I am guilty and I do try to release worry and fear and ask for help as I struggle with this.    Please continue to be with all and lay Your healing and calming hands on all.  AMEN



20 comments:

  1. We have another sunshiny day this morning. Yesterday we got into the low 80's and today the 70's. We are praying for those that have been affected by the storms, too. We found some great deals this week. I found $2 off of a big tub of Greek yogurt at Aldi. At a local grocery store, my husband found whole chickens for 60 cents per pound and ground beef for $3.49 per pound. We bought many more than one of each. Those prices are rare these days. I didn't do much cooking this week, mostly we pulled things from the freezer and heated up. I made some hard-boiled eggs for the week this morning. We have a birthday party to go to later today. I've been walking the park at lunchtime each day since the weather has been so nice. The verse and prayer are so helpful today. Have a great week, everyone! Darcy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are having sunshine and warm days. What great deals - and yes, when you find those kinds of deals, it is wise to snap up as many as possible for the future. Good going eating freezer meals. I need to make some hard boiled eggs this week - thanks for the reminder.
      Enjoy your party and the weather. Gad to the scripture spoke to you.
      Have a lovely week.

      Delete
  2. Good morning, all. Some parts of the province received snow this w/e. This area was spared but there was a steady rainfall. The yard has been "put to bed for the most part" - stock waterer drained; septic tank cleaned out; rain barrels, outdoor decor & hoses put away; perennials cut back & frozen annuals removed. Firewood delivery is a week away. Few leaves are left on the trees. Farmers are still trying to get the harvest finished. There was a 7hr scheduled power outage on Monday; that's when some of the above got done. Another 9pts of salsa was made. A friend came for lunch & cards yesterday. An electrician came by to assess the oven problem; still no fix. In the kitchen: scalloped potatoes; roast beef; philly cheese steak sandwiches; marinated veg salad; roasted tomato soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuck the nasty S word! Boy, it sounds like you have it under control with the outside things. I always hate seeing it all put away, winter is usually so bleak. We still have green trees for the most part here. Why did you have a scheduled power outage? Is that a normal thing?
      Sorry the oven still isn't fixed. Bummer.
      Oh gosh, scalloped potatoes sound good as does roast beef, of heck it all sounds yummy.
      Have a great week - stay warm.

      Delete
  3. Good morning, Cheryl
    It was a beautiful sunshiny week here in south central Pa. and then the rains came this morning. We're getting the tail end of the hurricane and several inches are expected here. Your meals look really yummy as usual and have given me lots of ideas for mine.
    All my meals were eaten at home, except for one when I went out with friends for lunch at a favorite diner. I sent you an email this past week . I hope you received it. Blessings, Cookie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you don't get too much rain from the storms. Thanks, I just like using up what I have and make simple dishes.
      Glad you had a nice lunch out. Oh shoot, I thought I answered you, I will have to check it.
      Have a beautiful week.

      Delete
  4. I bought those 3 lb. chubs of ground beef from Kroger on discount for $8.08 each (they're usually $18). I bought four. I unwrapped each log and sliced it into 12 rounds. Wrapped in waxed paper & into the freezer. I now have 48 hamburgers for my husband. Almost enough for him to have one hamburger a week for the next year. I'll have to remember to make buns every few weeks.

    Yesterday I made his favorite cheese danish strip. I'd never made it before but cream cheese was 99c so I decided to try it. I ended up making him 2 for a total of $4. Two from the store would be over $14. I used a recipe from Sally's Baking Addition website. I've had great success with her recipes.

    I think my husband's eyes were opened on Labor Day when he saw a 2-scoop ice cream cone was $10 at the little town we were visiting. Everyone seemed to have one. But he thankfully didn't think it was worth it.

    Yesterday he even expressed his appreciation for my saving efforts (even though he said it annoys him when he wants something & I say I'll look for it on sale or clearance!! Lol) He mentioned the coffee at home was good. He doesn't even want to buy it out and I told him I buy premium coffee on clearance. He takes his lunch to his part time job and all the guys are jealous of his lunch. They usually buy a burger at the cafe.

    I made myself 3 veggie burgers last week out of odds & ends in fridge. I usually follow some sort of recipe for proportions or ideas but this time I just used what I had and my imagination. They were very good. But of course I'll never have them again. Lol.

    I feel pretty blessed we can have satisfyingly good food and not break the bank. I feel like it's one way for me to contribute to a happy home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great deal on the hamburger. Nice to be prepared ahead and save as well. I bet the cheese danish was good.
      $10 for a cone is not worth it to me either. That would buy a lot of ice cream at the store.
      Seems it takes some a while to catch on - but he is enjoying the fruits of your labors it sounds like!!!!
      Imagination is my recipe most of the time! I look at recipes and then kind of wing it. Learned that from Mom.
      You are very blessed and it so nice to have found that way. It is so much more healthy and saving and just less stress overall.
      Have a great week.

      Delete
  5. I have pulled my back (nothing serious) so have been doing quite a few 'sit down' jobs this week. I repaired a summer skirt which had a torn panel and, after buying a new dressing gown to replace my old worn-out one, I cut the old one up to make it into face cloths. I also decided to polish my antique silver dressing-table set and a set of small copper pans that I keep above my stove, to add a bit of sparkle to dull Autumn days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you back is feeling better. There are things we can do, even when we have physical limitations. Great examples listed.
      Nice way to save and stretch things and just feel happy.
      Take care and have a lovely week.

      Delete
  6. I had to drive home from work late Friday in the outer bands of wind and rain and it was not fun! We got lots of much needed rain where I live and some wind. 30 miles from me suffered a good bit of damage. It is so strange how hurricanes unfold. Some of my friends still didn’t have power last night. I never lost power. It is supposed to be 89 to 90 degrees most of next week but shifts to the 70’s ( I hope for a good while) next weekend! Yay! Hope you have a lovely and splendid week! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad all you got was rain and no damage. They sure are persnickety storms -- with a mind all their own. I feel for those who have lost power. That is still pretty darn hot. Stay cool and don't over do it. Be careful what you wish for!!!! LOL
      Thanks and you have a special week.

      Delete
  7. It is gray and cloudy here today after a perfect day yesterday but to be expected.
    The scripture today really hit me where I live ....we just heard this week that our propane heating cost could be 50% higher this year and it made me spiral into worrywart territory. We all use propane as that is what is available around here. I worry not only for family but for others, it is just not sustainable for everyone to pay those prices.
    We still have some outdoor jobs to finish, still getting some tomatoes and peppers, sweet potatoes plants are still so green.
    Last week coming home from our trip to the deep south we saw several semi-trucks loaded down with crates of sweet potatoes and they were huge. One sweet potato looked big enough for at least 2 people. Seeing them loaded on semi-trucks really made me realize just how far our food has to travel. We were in Mississippi last week and live in upper Indiana. I know our fruit/veg market gets them in about this time of year. We may have passed them enroute home.
    JC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a huge increase. I bet you figure something else out. Maybe wood, cob, something. Electric heaters? Just trust in the Lord and make plans and share ideas with others - and it will eventually come back down.
      Glad you still have garden - me too.
      Isn't it something? Our food does travel a good distance. We just take so much for granted and it really should help us understand the pricing. It sure does pay to garden. You left the south in the knick of time.
      Glad you have safe journeys.
      Have a good week and pray on the heating situation - God will help.

      Delete
  8. I saw the news this morning that four people were killed as a result of the storms hitting Florida and Alabama. With the storms in the Pacific as well, it is as if Mother Nature is sending a very strong warning. We need to pay attention.
    We had another freeze last night, and there is rain and snow heading our way from Montana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that as well. So much damage as well. I guess all regions have their weather matters, here it is tornadoes. Weather sure can take a toll. Sadly it happens every year.
      Sorry you have had a freeze. I hope we put that off for a while.
      Stay safe. Have a special week.

      Delete
    2. I have not read in detail about the storm yet but was surprised that 3 of the 4 people killed were because of trees falling. That wind must have been really powerful. Fourth person to die used a generator in his garage which happens almost every storm around here even though people are warned over and over to only use a generator outside. Barbara M.

      Delete
  9. Excellent devotional! It sure is hard to let go and let the Master handle things for us! His wisdom is ever so much better than ours. It does no good to worry about things.

    The stuffed banana peppers look so good! We still have lots of peppers so I plan on making these.

    We were at Costco and they had the turkey bacon (3 one pound packs bundled) for under $6.00. We bought several and will cook them up, freeze them, and they will be ready when we need them.

    My neighbor Karen stayed one night at Brickyard Rehab and her family came and checked her out after her roommate, who was certifiable, made her night long and sleepless. I can't understand why a person in that woman's condition would be in rehab. Central State would have been a better choice. I stayed with Karen while her husband went to have his hearing aids checked on Thursday. We had a nice visit but she is so short of breath. Still praying for her life to get back to normal.


    My 91 year old sister-in-law is going to assisted living in Lebanon. She asked us to come up as she has some pictures and things for us. I'm always happy to get old pictures.

    I made a veg lentil soup on Friday. On the second day, we added chopped chicken and frozen lima beans. Soup is so easy! This is the weather (except for the two upcoming days in the 80's) is perfect for soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very hard. I try, I really do, but worry still happens.
      Oh goodness, they were wonderful. Super easy to use and using up that produce which is free.
      Good deal on the bacon.
      There are some people that should definitely be in different facilities. Poor gal - nice of you to help. Sure hope she gets the help she needs.
      How nice to get the family pictures. Hope she enjoys the facility, my sis sure hit the lottery with her place she had.
      You soup sounds good - yes, soup is easy, frugal and oh so forgiving to whatever we add. Enjoy
      Have a great week.

      Delete
  10. You certainly got a lot done this week, Cheryl - even windows! I hope that your nice weather continues.

    My flight was delayed 4 hours (mechanical issues) and I got home a little after midnight last night. I was happy the flight was not cancelled. The airline sent an email with a $50 credit towards the next flight within a year. Not a lot but I wasn’t expecting anything so I’ll take it.

    The expensive parts of my short trip were the downtown city hotel (shockingly high $) and Uber (to and from airport here and from the airport to the hotel). Yesterday I took the city bus ($2) to the airport. My Uber last night was $70 plus a good tip (happy that I got a good woman driver so late at night).

    I spent very little on food. The hotel had a good breakfast. I put fruit (oranges, apples) in my room for later in the day. There were no grocery stores nearby but I bought a few food items at an overpriced CVS. My last day I had a 6” Subway (only fast food in the area) plus a small bag of chips for $12 which to me was expensive since last time I bought a 6” Subway pre-Covid it was $3.99.

    My best bargain was using the bus. I bought a card for $16 and used all but $2. The fare is only $2 even for distances of 15-30 miles. (Cost is only $1/trip for senior residents and free for low-income and students).

    It was all worth it to me to know I can visit my mom at the cemetery without a car. Walk was not the best (no sidewalks) but doable. Barbara M.

    ReplyDelete