Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Expensive Groceries? Meals & Treats for Cheap

 Good day to all. Hoping this finds you well.
It is a very refreshing morning here.  Looks to be pretty nice out today.  AC off again, and the windows open this morning.  My 'surprise' lilies have popped up, waiting for them to open.  I always think of mom and dad when I see them.  They had hundreds of them at the old home sight, and this is some I brought home over 20 years ago.  Still going strong.

I know many places are paying a lot more for groceries.  Yes, I have seen increased prices, but I generally don't buy full price items.  I deal with clearance and manager's mark downs.  Saying that, I know not all have that option, as they have smaller stores and live more rural where there aren't a lot of options.
We can adjust our eating by WHAT we make.  Meat doesn't have to be a daily option (I know!!)
It is also very hot many places, and people just don't like the idea of heating up the kitchen making food.
I suggest using toaster ovens, air fryers or crocks or fast cooking pots along with the stove top.

SNACKS - popcorn is very inexpensive and easy to make.  It makes for a great and filling snack.  Fresh fruit or veggies are also good for snacks.  Veggies and some dip.  PBJ, a small salad, maybe make some no bake goodies.  Pudding, Jello, no bake cookies, Krispie bars, etc.  You can make a simple crisp and not use the oven, but one of the other options of baking.
Maybe a tomato sandwich or a cucumber sandwich.

When it comes to bread - use what you have.  A hamburger or hotdog don't have to have buns - use bread (that is all we had growing up).  You can sub a bun in almost all sandwiches if that is all you have - maybe toast them to be different.  Turn a bun into a sub sandwich, or use for tuna /egg salad, even a bologna sandwich!  They are interchangeable.

I know many of you like cottage cheese and I thought this chart was interesting.  You can add anything to it and jazz it up.  Or it can be as simple as a tomato or peach added.  It is good for you (not me!) and you can really add any type of items.

Fresh produce cut up and added to pasta and dressing for a quick and simple pasta salad.
Have some older fruit that needs used?  Peel and cut up and make a little fruit salad.
Drink water or homemade iced tea.
Sandwiches - can be hot or cold.  Hot ham or beef or pork with leftovers would be great.  Make cold meat spreads or egg salad.  PBJ or pimento cheese sandwiches are great.  Fried egg sandwiches are always a quick and healthy go to.  The use of bread with sandwiches also helps fill one up.  Throw in some veggies or fruit and you have a nice little meal for easy.
Even add a bowl of soup if desired.  A can of soup can be all jazzed up by adding some rice, pasta, leftover veggies or meat.

Make a quick and easy cabbage/sausage and potato skillet. Can be done in one pan and the flavors all work together.  Taco skillet - use either rice or pasta/taco meat - maybe some corn or beans.  I am a huge fan of skillet meals.  I do a couple with zucchini, bell peppers, cabbage, pasta.................
Individual pizzas are cheap and easy - you can use tortillas, bread, Ital. bread, Naan, whatever you have as a crust.  Top with bits and pieces just hanging out in the frig or crisper. Add some cheese - don't need an oven.
Roll-ups or wraps - super easy.  Can be hot or cold.  Breakfast/lunch/dinner.  Also easy is quesadillas, taco or burritos (burritos can be turned into enchiladas).

Some items are just super filling.  Great to add to meals, when trying to keep costs down.  Potatoes are such a versatile veggie and can be fixed a hundred ways!!!!!

Add those bits leftover or hanging out in the crisper together to make a stir fry and serve over rice.
Fried rice - doesn't get much cheaper or easy than this.  Rice - whatever odds and ends you have - throw in an egg and some seasoning and BOOM you have dinner.

Good food, inexpensive cooking, fast cooking, little effort and FILL the BELLIES!!!!!!
It can be done.  You have to be willing to use everything ALL up and maybe in a new way, look for all the bargains you can find, maybe throw in some home-grown goodies and get CREATIVE!
Also if it is just you - you can do whatever your little heart desires!!!!  Eat a meal, snack on items, whatever floats your boat.  I have times I just have meat/cheese and crackers and maybe a salad or piece of fruit.  There really are NO rules.

Do you have a special easy, yummy and affordable dish you make?  Share your ideas!
Have a beautiful day!
  




10 comments:

  1. Soup is a go-to dish, using up whatever needs to be used up. If there's l/o beans, it's bean & bacon soup. Bits & bobs in the pickle jars? - pickle soup (basically potato soup w/ pickles jce & chopped pickle). Just roasted a chicken? - chicken noodle soup. Another go-to is a stir-fry which can be extended w/ noodles or rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soup - good old soup - no wrong way to make it!! Someone asked me once for a recipe for some soup I made - and I laughed. My answer was "what is this recipe thing you speak of?"
      After you describing what is in pickle soup - I have got to try it now.
      I love stir fry over noodles or rice - basically how I serve it. Stretches it a little further for a family as well.

      Delete
  2. "There really are NO rules." I love that. No one says that you have to eat a big breakfast, lunch at noon and a four course meal for supper. The older the Farmer and I get, the less we are concerned about the quantity or frequency of meals, just light and nutritional. I did pin your cottage cheese board to my Ensalada board on Pinterest. The Farmer is more of a cottage cheese eater than I am. Skillet meals and soups are favorites.

    This is a lovely day. Going out to pick green beans and see if I have enough to can. One day closer to autumn...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean we should eat what we like and what we can afford - be gone with rules!!!! As long as the nutrition is there and you get full - it is all good.
      Skillets and soups are favorites for me as well. Anything I can do in one pan is great!!!!
      Enjoy picking. It is just glorious out.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy working with those little packs of Ramen. Add all sorts of veggie bits or dabs of leftover meat. Don't have to use that whole seasoning packet, too much salt for me, but it does boost flavor. Onion, mushroom, any leftover green vegs. A fried egg goes well in it too in place of meat. I'm sure that regular pasta is even cheaper than Ramen.

    That cottage cheese chart is good. Thank you! :)
    MaryB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea. Lots of things can be added for kind of a Chinese soup. Good idea to only use half of the packet - that is a lot of salt. Yes indeed, you could do the same thing with thin spaghetti and maybe some broth.
      You are welcome.

      Delete
    2. It doesn't have to be a soup, it can be drained and used as pasta. The curly noodles are tasty and fun, and it's served in a bowl but not much liquid. I like it as a standby to have on hand because of the seasoning pack, and it is very cheap. Today I bought 10 packs chicken flavor ramen for $3.50 which for me will make 20 servings! If I've no idea what to do with these leftover bits, it works for me. :)
      MaryB

      Delete
    3. I do always have some on hand here as well. Beef is my favorite flavor. They have a lot of fun flavors now too.
      Smart thinking!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE that cottage cheese salad chart! I am just bewildered I didn't manage to think of any of them myself. Can't see the forest for the trees, I guess. I can't wait to make a Greek bowl for dinner.

    ALL of the ideas you presented today are great ones, and it is so helpful and good to be reminded, so thank you! Brilliant ideas bear repeating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a fan of cottage cheese - but I know others that love it. I thought the chart would give someone some good ideas. Glad it helped you.
      Yes, today with things being expensive, we all need reminders for things that will help save $.

      Delete