Hello to each of you. Thank you for stopping by for a visit. Hope this finds you all well.
Kind of a cloudy morn here - we did have a pretty sunrise however. We are supposed to have some rain yet again later on. UGH.
Right now, the windows are open, and I have just come in from feeding everyone, and trying to keep Rocky racoon away from the kitty food. I do love animals, but I am not paying to feed the racoon. I know, I feed squirrels and birds - but they don't mess with my kitty's food.
Some of you will be happy to know, that I am finally seeing mosquitos! Just in the last week, after all the rains.
I am really tired this morning, so I am keeping the post easy. I worked my bum off yesterday outside, and I am hoping to get back out and finish up a couple jobs before rain hits. The heat and rains really put us all behind and things have become so overgown. I sure am happy that my body can still move and take care of things - even though it gets tired a lot easier and quicker.(click on image to enlarge to read easier)
Absolutely! Every one of these are $$$$ wasters. I try very hard to do all these things. I run errands at one time and stay home much of the week. I try not to waste anything. I am very mindful of my utilities. We can do with higher and lower temps than we think and still be comfortable. Don't use lighting a lot. When making a purchase, buy something that is good quality and not a cheap knock off, it will save money in the long run.
We just need to use things up, make things do, and repair and think creatively. These things aren't for everyone - but you know, if money is really tight, they sure will help out. They also help just to be a good steward of what you and the earth has.
Do you do any of these or think that you could if needed?
Have a wonderful day and make it the best no matter the situation.
I'm off to work!




Good morning Cheryl! I still do some of those things. Great post!
ReplyDeleteThanks - I do a lot of them. I guess I am just an old fashioned girl!
DeleteI still use incandescent bulbs - still have a whole bin of 100 watt bulbs in my garage. I don’t care if I’m wasting money. I like good, warm light. With my eyesight, I turn lights on whenever I feel the need. My mom often said, “turn on a light.” (When people say they are cutting their electric bill by turning off lights, I shake my head. A/C, oven and dryer are the big users of power.) I drive short distances, too, but my gas usage has dropped dramatically since I sold my old house.
ReplyDeleteI still have several battery-powered radios, mostly for listening to ballgames. I still have several paper road atlas. I’m behind the times when it comes to using my phone for directions. And have you ever looked at the built-in gps on new cars? I looked at one recently (friend’s son’s car) and it seems overwhelming but I DO want to become more familiar with using my phone for directions. I practiced last week going to the bank and grocery store.
We heated with coal when we lived with my grandfather in Massachusetts. I was embarrassed at school when they asked if anyone still heated with coal and I stayed silent. Coal is very dirty. Barbara M.
I like the older lights too. I have a few left. I just don't leave lights on when I am not in the room. I want to see, but with daylight hours now, don't need them much. I still have an atlas too, no GPS stuff here. I always figure my way to a new place the old way.
DeleteOur coal stove was so big, and yes, it was messy. Mom was always washing curtains and scrubbing walls it seemed.
I never feel I need GPS either but it is hard to avoid the technology. I’ve been planning to go to New England and reserved a rental car. Then after seeing my friend’s son’s new car I’m kind of afraid of driving a rental. My car is so old and doesn’t have the tech that cars have today. Now I’m now thinking of driving to New England. I used to drive to DC years ago but I’m kind of scared now but still think I might do it.
DeleteI still do 13 of 20 activities in the chart of <modern technology - and proud of it. Maybe 14 if you count handwashing clothing vs drycleaning. There's a lot to keep up with given modern technology but I still need to be convinced that it's for the better.
ReplyDeleteI am with you - still not convinced it is all good. Yes, I am sure some of it is, but I just as soon to do the work. I am not very trusting at all of tech stuff - not at all.
DeleteBe proud gal!!!!
You find the best charts! I always pin them to my boards on Pinterest. Raising your own grow-ceries goes a long way to reduce the food bill. There are a few things I will buy new, but most of what I wear is from Goodwill or another charity shop. I have the transistor radio from my early teen years and it still works.
ReplyDeleteRain is predicted for late this afternoon, but we shall see.
My radios are not as old but they are the size of transistor radios. Sony, bought at Walgreens 15-20 years ago. I have two. Love them! Great for hurricane prep but I also use them for our home baseball team. I take the batteries out when I’m not using it. Barbara M.
DeleteMiss Barbara, things do not need to be the latest, most up-to-date to work. That's a good thing! My radio is from the early '60's. I am still using my daughter's clock radio which is probably 50 years old.
DeleteI have my old boom box (not huge) and it plays cassettes, which can be battery operated. I have a hand crank weather radio as well.
DeleteOne of the FB pages I frequent always has the charts - I love them. Sure worth sharing. I am finding that summer is definitely my lowest groceries months. I eat so much fresh stuff I have grown, and I love every bite!!
I hardly ever buy new clothing - once in a while, usually undies. Reminds me, I need to find something for a Sept. high school party - 250th birthday - red, white, and blue theme!
My clock on the wall in the l.r. is battery - but it is probably 50 years old - it is made from a slice of wood (G made it).