Hello to all this fine day. I hope you are all good and well. It is a beautiful morning here and sunny and in the mid 60's. Windows are open and all is good. I spent a very leisurely morning outside with the kitties. They are so funny. Boy oh boy, do they love me when they see me with food!!! LOL
I have had the local news on all morning, and there is a lot of coverage today about Dolly Parton. Yes, she had fame and she had a fortune, but bless her, she put her money to use for so much good. She sure did a lot of wonderful things to help others. Things she didn't have to do, no one would have noticed, but she did them just because it was in her heart. I hope we can all take lessons (on a smaller scale) and do good every day!
Today, just a few more ideas from back in the day and some I have done myself to just stretch resources, help my life and save a little along the wayI know I have mentioned this before, but I bought a pack of black washcloths that I use only in the kitchen. They show no stains and work wonderfully for dish washing or cleaning up.
I often want a tad bit of soap in something that I want to soak. I don't ever need to squirt dish soap in the item, just run water over the spout of soap. Gives you enough to help with the soak!
I almost ALWAYS toast my bread or buns for any sandwich. It keeps the bread from falling apart easily and it keeps it from getting soggy!
I have old fruit baskets I used to get at the orchard (closed now). I kept them all over the years. I use for all sorts of things.
This one gets used daily. I use for my harvests, and I also use it to take the dishes and canned cat food out in the evening to feed everyone. Makes it easier to carry.I have used them for gifts many times.
Place a cloth napkin in one (gingham is cute) or a kitchen towel and then add your goodies. Maybe fresh bread and homemade jam, sauces and pasta, fancy glasses and sparking fruit juice, etc. Just makes a cute gift.I make regular iced tea but sometimes want it flavored. I am not buying those expensive bottles of tea. I can add fruit juice, or a bit of Kool-Ade. You can throw in a flavored tea bag (in your glass) and it will gently flavor tea and keep it from tasting watered down as ice melts. A lemon or orange wedge is always good too.
Those plastic bread bags - can be used for lots of things.
Can use for homemade bread. I keep to store homemade biscuits in. You can use as a secondary wrap for items placed in the freezer - pack several in the bag. I use to store homemade ice when having company. I don't pay for ice, just not in me (!!), so I make it and have my own bags of ice.I have a glass of water on the bed table at night, and in the morning, it is still cool, but not cold, so I just use it on a houseplant. It keeps my plants watered and no waste.
I run my ceiling fans 365 days a year. They help keep the house cool in the summer and help distribute the heat in the winter. Just change direction. Costs pennies to use.
Never throw away potato skins. Use them. A little oil, some cheese and bake those puppies for a fun treat or a great side. We used to pay big bucks for those at restaurants back in the day!
Organize your pantry and your freezer - knowing what you have saves money. May keep you from shopping a week or two.
Here is a simple and easy recipe for using what you have for a great bite.
They call it a breakfast cookie - which would be a treat but could be for any time!!!! Doesn't get much easier.Now I am going to show you a "fix" I came up with for my mower. It seems no matter what time of the day I mow, the front grass is still wet from dew. They can humidity is down and dew levels are down - not at my house! When it is wet, it clogs up the blow shoot and bogs the mower down. My mower has the shield over the shoot (for safety) - but it just clogs rapidly. Sooooooo, I added a stick under the spring area for the shield, raising it a little. OSHA approved - NOPE!!!!!!
Can you see the stick in above pic? It fit perfectly in the little space and raised the shield. Helps to keep the grass from getting stuck in the shoot with better flow.
This shows how it lifted it (looks higher than it is at this angle). I had just got done mowing, so the mower is still grass covered. I clean it off and clean under each time.Again, NOT OSHA approved, and maybe not the smartest idea, but it sure has helped me. Now the grass is not clogging up the mower and it runs well. Use your own digression!!! Do as you feel safe, not as I say!
That is it today. Maybe someone will get a useful idea to use. What great tip do you have that just seems to help you out?
Have a beautiful and blessed day and bless someone else today - even it is with just a smile!


Great fix on the lawnmower! I love stuff like that. Barbara M.
ReplyDeleteI figured there had to be a way without totally removing the shield. I have lots of sticks - so it worked out perfectly. Just doing what I need to make life a little easier.
DeleteLots of good ideas! I remember those baskets. I remember berry baskets that we made out of a light-weight wood. everything now is plastic, throwaway. I have a couple of crates of reusable jars in the garage. They always come in handy. Brilliant idea on using black washcloths. No visible stains! Clever idea for the lawnmower. MacGyver has nothing on us! ha!
ReplyDeleteThe morning is beautiful but later on it will be warmer. It is August, after all.
Kitties can be highly entertaining! I love to watch them go sideways and then pounce.
Enjoy your day.
Adrian Orchards always had them with peaches, or smaller amounts of apples. I always kept them. So many uses. Now they may be a real artifact since Adrians isn't around anymore.
DeleteDaddy had those wooden berry baskets too. Used them for his raspberries. You are tight, now things are plastic.
Good jars are always useful for all kinds of things. I keep instant coffee jars for making dry soup mixes. I use the instant just for a mocha flavoring in my morning drink.
It is so pretty out.
Rocky racoon was out there this morning, and Bootsy did that, arched his back and jumping sideways - like "I'm bad!" The racoon ignores them and they leave it alone for the most part - Momma doesn't want it to close to her kiddos.
Enjoy the pretty day.
I had a wooden mushroom basket but it finally just gave up, came to pieces. It was a great shape, kinda like a shoebox shape, but not so wide. I still have several wooden fruit baskets, but the new ones are plastic. Funny, "they" are always talking about renewable stuff, well, wooden baskets are exactly that... grow new trees. But nope, we're gonna use plastic for berries, peaches, everything. Odd. Kinda makes me think about "the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing" or "get your act together".
ReplyDeleteGood mower repair! Thanks for the breakfast cookie recipie, I've not seen that one before. Looks like a meal in itself. :)
Love ceiling fans. They are a great invention!
MaryB
I just love the wooden or cardboard containers. You are so right - they are reusable and renewable. Plastic takes so many processes and so much energy to make. They just aren't real smart - are they? Let's buy our natural goods in a chemical plastic basket!!!
DeleteI thought that cookie sounded wonderful too - great meal for breakfast and pretty darn healthy.
I really love my fans too.
I am often glad OSHA never has to inspect some of the rigging jobs I have done around my house.
ReplyDeleteWe use our fans regularly and even installed them in the bedrooms upstairs. Those rooms are only used if we have guests, but our overnighters use them too.
Exactly - glad our homes are off limits!
DeleteI have one in the bedroom, living room and kitchen - no vent in there. I love them. It probably helps your visitors sleep better.