Hello to all and welcome here and to August! I hope you are all doing well.
We had some really nice weather last week, and then things turned around yesterday. Rain and more rain. I wish I could have sent it to some of you that are so dry and having fires.
We woke with pouring rain, then on and off all day light rain, then another downpour late afternoon/early evening. It just poured. I still have water out back as of this morning. I went out AGAIN, and cleaned the storm drain - it was clogged with debris that flowed from down the street. Seems no one else can figured out why the street floods!!!!! Geesh. It looked like a river flowing into the drain after I got the debris out.
We even had tornado sirens around 5PM. The weather says we had about 2" yesterday, but I know we had more here - the rain gage shows it.
We are supposed to have sporadic showers today. It is cloudy, cooler but still humid.
My frugal week:- Found some wings while digging in freezer - thawed to use
- Porch sitting and walking a lot and talking with several neighbors
- Put together new bottles of dish soap and shampoo
- HARVESTING garden - toms, cuke, peppers, cherry toms, zuke (enough to keep me in fresh)
- Stripped the bedding top to bottom and washed all and throw rugs as well
- Had tons of limbs and sticks down from storm #1 early in the week - got them all picked up
- Made hummingbird feed
- Neighbor brought me homemade zucchini bread
- Went out to renew my library card (every 3 years) and get a couple books
- Stopped and got gas fill-up for the month, paid 2.67/gal. after discounts (our state gas tax has been suspended for a while - it comes back 8/6)
- Refilled all the feed bins with things I had on hand and scrubbed all the water holes
- Mowed and trimmed the front only - edged all the front walks
- FULL rain barrels
- Paid everything I had on hand
- The rain 'washed' my car! It looks so much better!! It gets a lot of dust around here
- Made a big bowl of veg/pasta/faux crab salad
- Got to have windows open a lot this week and AC off
- Just doing all the normal stuff and cooking at home
Meals this past week:
Boneless chicken wings, rice/broc/cheese, cukes
Fried zucchini, corn on cob, l/o rice
Flat bread pizza (in air fryer)
Stuffed peppers and sliced cukes/toms
Cheesy/bacon fries and salad
Tenderloin, corn on cob, salad
Pasta salad and fried ham slices
There you have it. Just a bit of this and that.
I did hear from Cookie and she is OK. She said she had sent me a couple earlier e-mails which I didn't receive. So glad to know she is OK - just trying to get through the trials of a different life now.
What have you all been up to this week? Any deals or harvests to brag about?
I hope you all have a very lovely week ahead and that you and yours are all safe and doing well.
Blessings to you and yours from me at my humble little home.
**************************
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth should change, though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea; though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble with tumult.
Psalms 46:1-3
Dear Lord, we say thanks for all the many wonders in our life - from small things to big. Help us each to know that You are with us every day and no matter what goes on, on earth or in our lives, You will remain with us. You will comfort us and send us blessings in many forms. May we always turn our faith and trust to You. Things happen beyond our control each day, and we know that it is all part of Your plan. Thank You for loving us. AMEN

Sounds like you had a good week. We had rain all day yesterday too. This week we had several meals from our garden; Snake Bites (jalapeno peppers), cucumber salad, tomato sandwiches, and Zuppa Toscana soup using our kale. I also froze some more tomatoes. I love the bounty of this time of year. I regularly go to the library. To save time, I usually have them hold books for me at the Circulation Desk so that I'm in and out in 5 minutes. Blessings to you, too! Darcy
ReplyDeleteIt was a pretty good week. Got to love those garden dinners! It is a wonderful time of the year - nothing like have our 'grow'ceries right outside in the yard!!!!
DeleteI hadn't been to the library in a while, just too busy. I got a reminder that the card needed renewing, so ran up there. It is just blocks away.
Have a lovely week.
You are a busy woman. I worked on starting the legal papers for Billys death. I scrubbed our bathroom. I am going through and donating what was left of his medical supplies. I did take my granddaughter out for pizza and yesterday I did a grocery pickup and stopped to shop for new sandals. Someone has been mowing my yard, but I want to take that job over soon.
ReplyDeleteJust sounds busy - not so bad.
DeleteYou are at the awful phase of legal mumbo jumbo - I feel for you. I hope you get through it all easily and have no hang-ups.
Sounds like nice family and shopping time. Glad you have had help when needed, it does give good exercise to mow if you can.
Have a special week.
Cheryl, I hope that your rain stops for awhile. I had a heavy downpour here this morning, too.
ReplyDeleteTwo social events this week. Baseball game (Tampa Bay Rays vs. Chicago White Sox) yesterday with friend and her husband. Our team won 1-0. Early dinner with another friend on Wednesday. That friend, 2 years older than me, has gone back to work 20 hours a week to make money for travel. It’s a good office job with a not-for-profit. She leaves this week for travel with her son to South America. I give her credit!
Cut up all the branches I cut from the Florida gardenia and trimmed both hedges in the front yard plus cleaned up shrub that surrounds the mailbox. It is so hot outside.
Found two appropriate birthday cards in my card box for a friend and my cousin.
Shopped at Aldi after being disgusted at price increases I’m seeing at Publix. Not related to Aldi but looked online at back-to-school items. Shocking to me. I don’t know how parents afford it. I had read that the county next door is giving backpacks of supplies to lower income kids. Only a few years ago I used to love getting the free or very cheap school supply bargains at CVS (free after ECBs) and Walgreens. Thankfully I still have a box of most supplies I need.
“Fixed” my television which is 15+ years old. I use a Roku. Remote stopped working. Tried new batteries. Nope. Ordered a new remote from Walmart. Tried unplugging and replugging the Roku itself. Nope. Then I tried plugging the Roku into a different HTML port. Success! Remote now works. I cancelled the one I ordered from Walmart before it shipped. I am starting to think my TV may need to be replaced at some point soon but I don’t watch a lot of TV. Barbara M.
How fun on the social events with friends. Your friend is a smart lady - earning a little extra for her travel is great. What a trip that will be for her - wow.
DeleteAll that yard work is sure good exercise. Gardenia was my sis's favorite flower.
I have noticed the same thing with school supplies. A lot more expensive than years ago. No more .25 notebooks (I still have some) or crayons or markers or folders. Many places here give backpacks, and some have been having new shoe give aways which I think is wonderful.
Smart fix on the TV!!!!! We are in the same boat - mine are both about that old - yet still have good pics, but I know someday soon!!!!! I had that happen with a battery I was charging in the garage. It was flashing red, as it was not charging - so I changed receptacle and it started charging! Sometimes we just have to mess around with stuff first!
Another 66mm of rain this past wk for a total of 166mm in July. NE Alberta hasn't seen this much rain for years. Good news - the tractor mower was fixed! The fellow came to my place to do the repair saving me the task of loading & hauling it. That doesn't happen very often. 7 pts of beans were canned & cherry tomatoes are ripe. He was tipped with cash & cookies. The weeds were pulled from under the deck & the front flower bed was cleaned. There was a gathering of old work colleagues at a lake midwk & I had friends over for a weiner roast on Fri. In the kitchen: pasta salad, meatball/macaroni casserole; chocolate chip cookies; hot dogs.
ReplyDeleteRain, rain makes the gardens grow - and the weeds and the grass.... LOL! Yay, on the mower. What a nice guy.
DeleteGood going on canning! Weeds sure never seem to end, do they? How nice to get with old workmates and friends.
Sounds like my kind of food!
Have a great week.
Oh goodness, I do hope the rain doesn't cause flooding. It sure would be nice to be able to share the rain and heat. We had a short downpour the other night, and the humidity is still quite high. Definitely not something we are accustomed to, at all.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it wonderful to get fresh veg from the garden? My garden is later than yours but things are coming so nicely. We've been eating lettuce, the one single cucumber and fresh peas. The latter are about finished as they are dying back, and I'll pull the plants in the next week or so.
There are flood warnings for many areas - some got up to 5" of rain yesterday (further south). Humidity is a bugger for sure.
DeleteYes mam, it is so nice to have fresh veggies and goodies from the garden. even if it is only to enough to eat each week, it is a savings.
Have a great week.
Excellent devotional! "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." Such blessed assurance!
ReplyDeleteWe had a gully washer this weekend! You do know that weed seeds fall from the sky...ha! I follow an English fellow on Instagram who lives in Indiana and he said he had not seen rain like that in England. America doesn't do things by halves.
You are always busy and productive! Do you have days that you just want to veg? I bet if any of us kept track of what we accomplish on any given day, we would be surprised.
Rain barrels are definitely full. Won't need to water for a while. I have green beans to pick if it stops raining. Corn also. Will blanch the corn, cut it off and freeze it. We had some yesterday and it was so good. Will also skin and freeze tomatoes. I made spaghetti sauce on Friday. Enjoy these grow-ceries while we can.
Enjoy your day! Hope the outdoor kitty family survived the storm.
Yes mam, blessed assurance.
DeleteIndeed a gully washer! I almost believe that about weeds! When we do something here, we go big. The downpours were really something.
That is just it, you need to keep track - you would see you accomplish a lot. I do veg on some days or at partial days. Today is one!
The kitties were all curled up together yesterday morning in the doghouse, and yesterday afternoon they all stayed in the greenhouse. They know where to go and be dry.
Watering won't be needed here either for a bit. Been drizzling all morning here - such a damp, gloomy day.
Those garden goodies are sure a blessing. Fresh corn is so good. Happy picking!
Have a fantastic week.
So happy to have rain. Prayers for the people of Spokane... the father of a friend has lost his house, burned to the foundation.
ReplyDeleteThis week I learned that there was a way to lock my retirement account so that strangers could not fake a "new account" in my name and move everything to that new fake account. Y'all may want to look into that, see if it's available to you. After all, most of our "secret stuff" is online already from various hacks, so it's only a matter of time... How depressing.
But the good guys have tools we can use. :) So my big job this week was setting that up. Not very computer savvy, so it's a bit intimidating, but it can be done!
Very glad you heard from Cookie.
MaryB
Rain can be a blessing and a curse to others (as you know). How sad to have lost his house to the fires.
DeleteThat is great news on your retirement account. There are so many scammers and people stealing. I have my credit locked, have had for years, so no one can open any new accounts or get credit under my name. Hopefully the good guys always win.
Thanks, so happy to hear she was ok.
Have a special week.
Cheryl, you are such a good neighbor to clean out th storm drain for you and all your neighbors. We used to have a neighbor that would use his leaf blower to blow the pine needles off the walking track in town, which was such a great thing to do for the community.
ReplyDeleteThanks - but it really just needs to be done. I am the eldest one around the drain area, yet no one else will walk out there a take care of it! It sure helps keep the roads and basements from flooding. It is just a good thing to help us all.
DeleteHave a super week.
It is 89 today and that is sooo nice compared to July!!!!! Had been interviewing and received new job offer. Supposed to start tomorrow so I will shut my business down. Free health, dental, lots of vacation days etc. I am excited! Went to Aldi and bought chips, gala apples, deli roast beef and sourdough bread for work lunches I am still eating canned greens mixed with rice bc of the parasite scare involving fresh greens. I know I could buy local but I have plenty of canned greens and I also needed to use up some of my supplies.I feel I have too many canned greens on hand and need to eat them down a bit. Hope you have a splendid week! Cindy in the South
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the new job! Barbara M.
DeleteI hear you about fresh greens, that is really scary! I'm cooking all greens and using canned or frozen now for a while.
DeleteBest wishes with the new job, that sounds wonderful..
MaryB
Wow Cindy that is fantastic on the new job. Very happy for you and great benefits. Seems life has a way of directing us where we should be.
DeleteYes, fresh lettuce is kind of scary right now - getting it local when I want. Sounds like you have a good plan for the week. Have a wonderful experience at the new job.
Have an awesome week.
Thank y’all so much!! Cindy in the South
DeleteWe finally got a bit of rain Friday and Saturday. We really needed it. Glad you didn't have any issues from the storms. I hope you have a great week ahead.
ReplyDeleteSo happy you got some rain. I was thinking about you yesterday and hoping!!!
DeleteThanks and you have a great one as well.