Sunday, August 9, 2026

Weekly Wrap Up 8/9

 Hello and happy Sunday to all.  Hope this finds you all well and safe,
It is a muggy morning here today and it will get to about 90*F.  We have a day or two more of this heat then we are supposed to get back to the low 80's and less humidity.  That I like.
I have been out to feed, and they kitties didn't eat as much this morning.  Pip is starting to get them more independent.  They aren't quite 3 mos. yet and still nurse a little - but she is taking them out on walk abouts (across alley) and they are getting a lot more active and exploring.  Hunting as well.  Momma cat and Pip sure are cicada hunters!

My frugal week:
  • Used rainwater as a final rinse for my hair - made it so soft
  • Used dehumidifier water in laundry
  • HARVESTING the garden - tomatoes are really picking up, cukes, lots of peppers and zuke
  • Went through some sealed totes I had and found a lot of long-term food items I had forgotten.  They are now in sight and ready for use
  • I did a HUGE clean and organization of the deep pantry and the regular pantry.  I am so very blessed with goods.  Some non-food items, that I will probably never have to buy again.
  • Vacuum sealed a lot of jars of dried goods. (that gift got a lot of use!)
  • I straightened and organized the frig freezer - have the big freezer yet to do
  • Made some stuffed banana peppers with cream and cheddar cheese seasoned with onion soup mix.  Froze to have later in air fryer
  • Mowed and trimmed the entire yard.  First time in ages that I got the yard all mowed and trimmed in one day!  I am having so much more energy.  Did a good trim and clean behind the shed, and worked in the front flower bed some
  • Did get some days of windows open and no AC earlier in week
  • Met a new neighbor.  They have only lived on the other side of alley for 20 years - about time we meet!!!!
  • Picked rhubarb
  • Picked a couple handfuls of grapes to eat - a real treat.  They are starting to ripen!!
  • Got some blackberries out of the big freezer and mixed with the rhubarb.  Used some on ice cream, and made a little cobbler and still have syrup left
  • NO grocery or spending.  Did not leave the property this week
  • All the regular stuff - lots of dusting, dust mopping and vacuuming.  I sure get a lot of dust 'kitties'.  Cleaned nose prints from windows, using what I have and cooking from scratch
  • Made zucchini boats and made extra to freeze.  Used corn instead of rice in filling this time.  Used the oven but also made the cobbler at same time.

So good
Meals this past week:
Fried egg sandwich and pasta salad
Grilled burritos (homemade/freezer) and salad
Fried okra, corn cob and toms and cukes
Egg roll bowl
Potato bites and chicken fingers (air fryer) and toms
Stuffed zucchini boats and sliced toms
Fried green tomatoes and fried breaded banana peppers (new try and good), sliced toms

I managed to keep busy this week and did get a lot done.  As we pointed out this week, it is all about just getting started.  I am good about finding excuses to not start, but I just made myself get up and do it.  So much more to accomplish!
I ended up with a big old bruise on my arm - no idea how - about gone now.  I also got blisters and lucky me, more poison.  But I survived it all - life is good.

How was your week.  How are the gardens doing?  Anyone doing any canning or freezing yet?  Probably won't be long here.  Did you find any good deals or markdowns?
Give us a shout out - love knowing how everyone is doing.

I wish you all a super week ahead and many smiles.
Blessings to you and yours from me at my humble little home.
**************

Teach me to do thy will, for thou art my God!  Let thy good spirit lead me on a level path!
Psalms 143:10

Dear Lord, we come with thanks for all the blessings and gifts that we received in some form this week.  Help all that are having struggles with various things and let them know they are loved and being held up my Your hand.  Forgive us when we stray from the good thoughts and deeds, we know we should be doing.  May we all open our hearts so You can teach us Your will.  Thank You for loving us.  AMEN

16 comments:

  1. Good morning, Cheryl. A cool week with 24mm of rain. The season is turning with a later sunrise & maturing crops, the ones that got planted in a timely fashion. This county has been declared an agricultural disaster area. Beans & peas have been picked. Enjoying romaine lettuce from the garden. No end to grass cutting. A turkey that had been languishing in the freezer was roasted & many meals prepared from it. There was a playdate with the neighbor little. We finally finished the scarecrow & put it in her garden. Nothing does my heart more good than when I take her home & she tells her parents that she had the best day ever. Her mom sent some raspberries home with me. Spent an afternoon kayaking with friends at a nearby lake where we ran into other family & friends. Attended a 40th wedding anniversary of another couple. Marc's words inspired me. They're not waiting for their 50th to celebrate; there's no guarantee they'll make it, a sentiment inspired by the death of his younger brother. Yes, engage in life & celebrate it all. Made some phone calls re: senior housing in a small city I think about moving to in the next 5 yrs. Those 5 yrs will pass quickly. Determined that there's no block heater in the car I purchased a few months ago so that will need to be dealt with, adding to the price of the car. In the kitchen: roast turkey; turkey pot pie w/ biscuits; raspberry chocolate cookies; turkey tetrazzini; delicious turkey sandwiches w/ cheese, lettuce, roasted red peppers for the lake picnic. Here's to another good week, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got some rain Friday, a couple nice hard showers. Later sunrise and earlier sunset - fall is coming. My tomatoes are just now taking off - so hopefully we have some good time left.
      Sounds like you are enjoying fresh.
      I bet your little gal is so sweet. She sounds it. I bet your heart is just so happy when she shows love.
      The turkey sounds good and will provide many meals. I love a turkey sandwich! Sounds like you had some lovely days and visits. Marc sounds wise - you just never know. Every day is worth celebrating.
      Sorry about the vehicle problem.
      The meals sound good. Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  2. Excellent devotional! His will be done! When a person gets on a roll, praising Yehovah for all He has done for us, it snowballs into a miracle that He cares for us that He provides for us abundantly.

    I am impressed at your diligence organizing and sorting your pantries and freezers! It's amazing what forgotten things you can find.

    It is a muggy, typical August in Indiana day. I need to pick green beans...good thing it is a small bed. Don't do well with heat.

    The gardens are both accelerating and winding down. Actually we are on the second planting of some veg...cukes, green beans. The Farmer has started more cabbage plants and some other things. I have already selected what I want in the veg garden for next year. Seed catalogs will arrive when the snow is on the ground. The prediction is for a bad winter. Boohoo! Don't want it!

    Will anyone adopt any of the kittens? They probably would be very content to live at Casa Cheryl!

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes ma, His will be done - that is what we all need to realize. Not ours.
      I had to get started and just do it. I still have lots to do - but I got a good start. It is very muggy. This morning, I saw a neighbor sitting out down the street, so I walked down to talk for a minute - but it started getting too hot for both of us. At least I checked in.
      My tomatoes are finally starting to produce well and they are loaded. Hope it lasts for a bit. Good time to get ready for fall plantings.
      Not sure about the kitties. They are just adorable - so I won't complain if they stay.
      Have a grand week.

      Delete
  3. Just got home from two days of singing camp. Wonderful! :)
    Found 1 1/2 inches of rain in the gage, no need to water. Cat is highly offended because I was gone. ;) No garden this year: only 6 beans so far, only boy blooms on the zucchini. There was young buck deer in the driveway this morning and he was not the least afraid of me.

    Yes, I hope the Good Spirit will guide me.
    MaryB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you had a lovely time. Nice on the rain. Kitties get pretty set in their ways and don't like to be ignored!!!
      So sorry you haven't had a good garden year. What a bummer. That is amazing on the buck. What a sight that had to be.
      Have a blessed week

      Delete
  4. I'm looking forward to less humidity here too. Sounds like a good, busy, frugal week for you. I love weeks when I get to stay home and don't have to leave for anything. You must be enjoying your kitties so much, I love watching them play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can do heat , but hate humidity. It was a great week - I feel like I really did something. I love being home, and thoroughly enjoy those weeks I don't leave.
      Oh, they are so funny to watch. They sure love to play!
      Have a special week

      Delete
  5. We are also in the Indiana heat and humidity, keeping curtains closed for awhile. Helps with AC costs but I do love the natural light.
    I have dill pickles going and have picked another zucchini. I will sauté it
    with other veggies in a bit of bacon grease.
    Gardens are winding down, potatoes ready for digging and beet pickling coming up this week.
    I did have to grocery shop this week, I have been trying to only shop once a month so far it is working for me. Mainly because of not buying fresh salad greens. I am getting a bit of salad greens from the garden but have also not eaten as much salad as I usually do because of the cyclospora. I do miss my big salads.
    Hoping to make a bit of pico de gallo, I like to add kernel corn to it.
    I eat it like a meal.
    Outside things are looking what I call "August raggedy" you can tell the season is winding down from the looks of the plants.
    JC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep my blinds closed a lot, but I too love the sunshine. It does help a lot though.
      Good for you on the pickles. Zucchini in bacon grease - yum.
      You must be way ahead of me, as my stuff is just really going good.
      I love lettuce too, I need to replant mine. It seeded and got bitter, so time to start fall lettuce. Have fun canning.
      You are so right, plants start looking ragged - you can tell fall is close by. No matter how much you water, they still get THAT look.
      Have a special week.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on all of your pantry organizing, Cheryl! Wonderful that you have more energy for yard work, too.
    It is very hot here and does not cool down overnight. (Not unusual) I seem to get more tired from the heat than in my younger years. Still, I’m doing as much as I can in the yard. I’m thankful to have someone doing the grass cutting, edging and weed whacking. I have a fairly large yard. Well worth it to me. I’m happy there have been no hurricanes so far. Barbara M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I was proud of myself this week. We'll see if I can keep it up!
      Heat is exhausting. I came in from mowing and had a blood red face - I was beat. We have to keep going, don't we? I am glad you have some help with the yard. It has been a good year for no hurricanes so far.
      Have a lovely week.

      Delete
  7. Hello, I am Liuba and found your blog through another comment. What a full and productive week! I loved reading about the kittens becoming little explorers and all those tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, grapes and rhubarb from the garden sound wonderful. There’s something so satisfying about using what we already have and appreciating the little blessings around us. And meeting your neighbour after 20 years made me smile! Wishing you a beautiful week ahead too. With Love, Liuba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome. I love that people find so many different ways to get here.
      Thank you - I feel like I accomplished a lot. I love fresh produce and any that I can get from my yard is wonderful. Oh, the kittens are just a joy.
      We all have so many blessings that we often don't think about. Old friends, a home, running water, good neighbors, and enough! We are truly blessed.
      Please come again, and comment. Have a special week.

      Delete
  8. I had a miraculous start to the week!
    I had a baby sister born with severe disabilities who died at just 3 days old. As was the way in those days the hospital whisked her away and said that she would be buried in a communal unmarked grave in a cemetery several miles away from where my parents lived. My sister was looking at an ancestry website and up popped a recently uploaded document showing that she was actually buried in the cemetery closest to my parents home, where my great-grandparents, grandparents etc are buried. We assume that this was due to an intervention by our family doctor. I contacted the local council and they replied the same day giving me a plan of the cemetery and directions as to where her grave is! I spent several days close to tears and am planning to make a visit in October, close to her 61st birthday. I can't stop thinking of the line from Amazing Grace "I was lost, but now I'm found" and grieving for the fact that neither of my parents are still here to accompany me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness. I am so happy for you that you now have a location for your sister. Isn't that amazing. Also, how nice that the council sent you all the information. Sometimes we have to wait a long time for answers. I am glad you are planning a trip. In my faith, I believe your folks are with her now, and they will all 'be there' when you visit.
      Have a wonderful week.

      Delete