Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Don't Fall For It!

 Hello and happy Tuesday to all.  I surely hope this finds you all well and safe.
It is a chilly morning here - at 48*F at 6AM.  Looks to get into the 70's again today and be another lovely day.  Yesterday was another perfection day - 70's, and a sky of pure blue - not a single whisp of a cloud.  I did get to spend a lot of time outdoors.
Still no heat or AC being used here.  It was 72* in the house this morning when I got up.  All good.

I believe the hummingbirds have gone to the south this season.  It has been a couple days since I have seen one.  The feeders are still out.  There are lots of stink bugs and box elder bugs around - a sure sign of fall.  And I keep seeing grasshoppers - that is unusual.
Trees are still green for the most part.  That will probably change over the next couple weeks.


Commercials. Ads.  It is on TV, radio, on YouTube, on FB, in magazines - we are surrounded by the distracting noise.  It wants you!!!!!!  They want you to think you NEED to have what they are selling.  They try the best they can to make it oh so attractive.  They want you to think you can't live without it. They try to convince us that what we have and how we live, isn't enough.
NOISE - all of it.
I really despise commercials, for the most part.  I will go out of my way to NOT buy things I have seen on TV or in ads over and over.  Their crazy advertising dollars are not working on me.

I don't fall for it.  I can make about anything I want or find something I have that will work as well.  Truth be known, none of us need that much!!!!!
Sales, clearance, weekly deals, odd stores, using what we have, second hand, and just saying NO to all the noise SAVES MONEY - YOUR MONEY!

Society may call us cheap - I call it smart to know how to live better and well on less.  We can have great meals for ourselves and our families, we can have a lovely and neat home, we can have an emergency fund for whatever may come up, we can beat the system!!!!!
It is a game - THEIR game - and we can play too!!

We all see and watch people buy and buy and have to have the newest and the biggest and shiniest.  They go into debt to get it!  They go to the after holiday "sales" and buy and buy - charging all along the way on the "sales" for stuff no one really needs.  Then they pay and pay with interest on all those "sales" they got!  Make sense?  NOPE!  That stuff cost them far more than it was ever worth.
It pays to stop and think how many hours one has to work - to purchase THE thing!

I know most of us here know these things.  There is always someone new coming on board, and the goal here is to teach a better way.  Life can be soooooo good with less - it really can.  
It becomes your new normal and you will find the noise gets quiet and life gets a bit slower and you enjoy a lot more.
So slow down, turn down the noise and have that life that the spenders can't imagine.

Have a beautiful day my friends.


24 comments:

  1. My dad used to say that if everyone lived the way we lived (buying very little) the U.S. economy would collapse. I don’t care.

    How about the political ads? Obnoxious and misleading. They are almost totally one-sided in my area. I don’t have “regular TV” so I only see them on YouTube but that is more than enough. I’m not “buying” but I’m sure some people are or they would not be putting the millions of $$ in them.

    I’m off on a sentimental journey for a few days so I will likely have regular TV in the hotel. At least I’ll get to watch the MLB playoffs! Barbara M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - well, that could still be said about a lot of us I bet! I don't care either - my money is mine, and I will decide how I wish to spend it.
      I record everything I want to watch - just so I can fly through ALL ads. I would never vote because of an ad either.
      Have a lovely sentimental journey - enjoy yourself.

      Delete
  2. Pinned both the posters to my Quotes board on Pinterest. I have been finding some good quotes lately. One is "You're seeking validation from a world that crucified a perfect man." Another is "When life isn't a bed or roses, remember Who wore the thorns." This is my favorite "No person or job is worth your mental health."

    It is definitely cool this morning, but that is just fine! Another day coming up that will be 80 or so. I'm going out to set up the table and chairs in the sukkah. Got some piddly stuff to do in the house. Meatloaf with fresh green beans and potatoes for lunch, enough left for tomorrow. Think I'll make another beet salad, since they are already cooked.

    My neighbor, Karen is not doing real well. Turns out she needs a pacemaker, which will be installed today, unless there is another wrinkle to prevent it. They have a temporary one on her now, which keeps her flat on her back for several days. I think it would be difficult to take care of certain bodily functions flat on your back. We are still storming the throne for her deliverance from this.

    Enjoy this beautiful fall day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are all good quotes and oh, so true.
      It will be another lovely day. Yep, chilly out this morning - but the sun is shining and we have the opportunity of another day!
      Oh, that is so sad for your neighbor. I sure hope they can install a permanent one and that it will help. That would be so hard to be flat on your back all the time. Prayers for her.
      You enjoy as well.

      Delete
  3. Yes, it is chilly this morning and maybe will get to 70 during the day, but clear, sunny, lovely! Leaves are falling everywhre and the earth is carpetted. :) I enjoy fall colors so much, the green, gold, and orange.
    It can be hard to keep below my means every month because big bills tend to clump together - like property taxes and car insurance both due now. So I do my best to stay below in other months and squirrel away what I can.
    No TV is a Godsend in a election year - as is a phone screening device. They are *not* getting to talk to me, waste my time, trying to sell me on somebody.
    DD gave me leftovers from a party and I've been working on them. One more day to go - free food! :)
    I still get an occasional hummer, so the food will stay out during the day and in at night - not planning to feed the "humming-bears". :D
    MaryB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall is i the air for sure.
      Same here, November is a big month for me. Homeowners & Umbrella, car insurance - I paid Nov prop. taxes w/ the spring one. Then you have the holidays - yep, it can get spendy! I don't do much most of the year, so that helps.
      You are so right, no ads for politics - I fast forward through them. I don't answer a number I don't know - so they text - I delete.
      YAY on free food. I will be leaving my feeders out for a week or two more. Gladly I have no bears!!!

      Delete
  4. My son has a saying - go to work to make money to buy [crap] you don't need. I'm hoping for a fix on the stove today; an electrician is scheduled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is 100% right. I just quit buying it. Someday we all learn, that we really need nothing else.
      YAY - oh, I hope it gets fixed. I know you miss it.

      Delete
  5. So true. Commercial have always been like this, unfortunately social media especially Instagram, has intensified the brainwashing of consumers. Hence the trillion dollar consumer debt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ads have always been after our dollars. I think back to childhood, with the Sears "Wish Book" and Saturday morning cartoons and the ads. Figured they would go through the kiddos!
      It just seems more and more now with all the Internet garbage. They don't get mine.

      Delete
    2. My goodness, I *loved* the "Wish Book"! Old fashioned me, I prefer paper catalogs. It takes longer to select and order and pay, so I get to think about it first. :D
      MaryB

      Delete
    3. They sure were fun for our little selves and I am like you - I still would have fun looking today. Dreams are free.

      Delete
  6. For the past 25 years or so all adverts on tv for vacuum cleaners have been for bagless ones and that is pretty much all that was available in the shops. Today I saw an advert for a 'new type of vacuum cleaner' which uses disposable bags. I guess we have come full circle and I wonder how many youngsters who buy one won't realise that you have to keep buying the bags too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - "a new type" - that is so funny. I do believe most things go in trends about every 30 years or so. Seems fashion does as well - at least the stuff that someone MIGHT wear!
      Boy, I had my fair share of vacuums with bags.

      Delete
  7. For YouTube we get Premium with no adverts. It's wonderful. That said there are those that still sell in their own videos and I get that. However, I'm with you. Over-consumption is all around. Thankfully, no apps on my phone as it can't get to Internet. And we don't have TV so there's that. I do hear noise when I have the radio on which I turn off or just got listen to my own music.

    No thanks for ads. Not interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just get general You Tube - so I pass on as many ads as possible. Yes indeed, the world of over consumption is all around, and comes with so much entitlement in my opinion.
      I am not interested either!

      Delete
    2. We pay $140 a year and that's our streaming service. Lots of educational videos and free movies. Real movies too. It's lovely. We swap out streaming services. Though YT stays. Right now that's the only one we have though Discovery is on the menu next.

      Though I heard someone say that if we move the video to the end and then restart it no adverts. No idea if that works.

      For me, I'm happy to pay to remove them. I like the service and I use the platform and I don't have to mess with ads.

      It's lovely.

      Delete
    3. We also don't have ANY local TV or cable TV. No TV at all. If it's got adverts, we're not interested.

      Delete
  8. I realized a long time ago that being the caretaker of stuff was a drag. Not that I don't have a lot of stuff particularly for my hobbies (which I actually do) but I am more thoughtful about what I do acquire nowadays.

    I don't touch my husband's stuff.

    I am "curating" the stuff in my house for my grandchildren (I watch them everyday). The junk toys disappear after a while. If they don't ask about them then I donate them. I don't mind all the toys as long as they're quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stuff almost gets to be that - stuff! I do have the things I enjoy and love - and still have much else. It seems I continually work on that.
      I think that happens with a lot of kiddos. My nieces do that with their children. When they don't notice - the stuff is gone. Yes quality and being played with!

      Delete
  9. That is the truth always wanting more just leaves you with less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100%. People run towards spending when they should be running towards saving.

      Delete
  10. Hi Cheryl, good thoughts here, I agree. You've been on my mind. God be with us all... Please pray for me...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I dislike ads too, and advoid them as much as I can. Streaming programs, I can generally fast forward through them. But, ever once in awhile I get caught up in one. Tonight, we had A&W teen burgers for dinner. They were "on sale" and I haven't had one for many, many years. But that seeing that ad over and over again, was too much of a temptation. I will report it was a delicious burger. :p

    ReplyDelete