Good morning all. Hope this finds you all well and rested. Seems I get later each day - the daylight hours are messing with me. I am always up at the same time - but go out and feed later because it stays dark so long. So I get back in later. I guess I need to get things ready with the blog the night before! Now there is a novel idea.
It was already in the mid 70's when I got up, going to be another hot one. I keep reading blogs, where you are talking about frost and freeze already - oh my. That won't be here for quite a while yet - I imagine. Of course, it can change on a dime.
It is all about being a good steward of everything - money, food, resources, etc. Life throws us all a lot of traps, hazards, and misfortune over our lifetimes. Being frugal helps you get through those times with a little grace.
Being frugal is learning and knowing how cook and eat with what you have. Getting creative. It is about mending and fixing, instead of always replacing. It is about making do. It is about knowing how to stretch a dollar until it squeaks.
It is maybe gardening if you can and putting some of that food back for another day. It is about planning and preparing for anything thrown at you.
It truly is about SAVING! Everyone needs to have an emergency fund - for those unexpected things. They happen to everyone. Car repairs, lost job, medical issues, family crisis, utilities go up, home issues, etc.
Saving is a huge part of being frugal. It also enables you to do the things you enjoy. Taking trips or vacations, updating furniture or a vehicle, gathering with friends.
Being frugal doesn't mean you can't do anything or go anywhere - being frugal allows you to do those things. It allows you to enjoy life and not go broke or worry about paying the bills as well.
There is a huge difference in being cheap and being frugal. In my opinion, cheap means cheating and taking when it isn't supposed to happen (unethical). It means going out of your way to never participate. It even means never looking at quality. Or never once trying to help someone else.
I am frugal but I am not cheap. I go out of my way to take care of nature and animals - that isn't cheap at all!!! I donate to places I want to support. I help others when I can. I enjoy buying things for other people. I don't worry about how to pay my bills. It generally isn't about me - it is about others. That is me - not everyone sees things the same, I know.
So remember, being frugal helps you have an enjoyable life and to be a good steward. Being cheap makes you miserly and stingy, perhaps not doing your fair share. Perhaps not being the most upright person.
Be good and be frugal - it truly does make life good!!!!!!!
Stay well and have a wonderful day.
***************************
BLOGGER UPDATE
I have done research and I have filed a complaint. I clipped some of what I found, and much of it is BS!
They claim there isn't a problem, and if there is, it is the individual's problem. Wrong answer - NOT everyone is having the same problem with their computers all over the country/world.
Click on above to easier read.
I did go to the QUESTION MARK on my blog for help. I did post the problem and asked why. I expressed my disappointment. The following is the responce that I have received at this point.
So darn aggravating. Just my two cents worth!



I've been working hard to EMPTY the house of fresh food before CSA pickup Th evening. Fridge: 2dz eggs and 1 cucumber (which will become Greek Salad this morning). Counter: 2 tomatoes destined for that Greek Salad and 6 small potatoes which are enough for 2 meals of air fryer fries. AND the freezer of older foods: last of a vac sealed pork loin will be 2 meals with the above, blueberries-1c will become muffins shortly and the rest are becoming pancake compote on the stove for pancakes. 1 bag of vac sealed/roasted eggplant and 1 of summer squash from 2025 went into a big batch of Ratatouille along with some too soft tomatoes from CSA the last few weeks. And no one in the 'hood wanted 2 ham bones so out they went. I know they could have been soup but it's hubster's least favorite so no go this time.
ReplyDeleteThere's my long frugal story (except the ham bones).
Happy Wednesday ya'll!
Good for you on using things up. Out with the old and in with the new. You do really well, and you do get creative. It all sounds very delish. I hope you get lots of new and yummy goodies on Th.
DeleteHave a yummy day!
What a pity about the hambones. I'd have taken both of them gladly! ;) I'm with you about using things up. I do my best not to toss useable food. Every now and then there is something that was a FAIL and I simply know I will avoid eating it. Usually I bury it in the yard!
DeleteI've found that (since it is just me) I can use up bits and pieces, dips and dabs, making up a plate like from a potluck. Often that is very satisfying.
Also, I've discovered that one person's "frugal" is another person's "cheap". So I try not to be offended by that. There's this one neighbor who is sometimes very judgemental and for a long time it hurt, but then I realized that we had different values so her opinion will often not mesh with mine. Ok. I can deal with that. :)
I hope y'all can work out the Blogger issue, it sounds most annoying.
MaryB
Mary same here. Just me, I can use up most dribs and drabs some way. Like you said just on a plate using leftovers, or making something new.
DeleteI do me - if people don't like it or get it - that is them. I don't care.
I sure hope something gets fixed soon - a royal pain it is!!!!
Am I frugal? Probably not by the definition of many frugal blogs and YouTube channels. I’m lazy. Most of my meals are what I call pick-up meals. (That’s not pick them up at stores. It’s pick this and that from the refrigerator and cupboard and eat them together or one after another.) I don’t darn socks or generally repair clothes.
ReplyDeleteBut for anyone who works full time and has a family and is overwhelmed with all the frugal ways, I want to mention some ways of saving money and becoming financially secure that worked for me. To me that was the goal.
Keep things a long time - clothes, furniture, towels, sheets, electronics, pretty much everything.
Shop used for most things. (I know Cheryl talks about this regularly.)
Track your spending and know your prices. This is KEY. I do this to this day. I enjoy budgeting.
Don’t have debt if at all possible. Credit card interest rates are obscene. If you have a car loan, pay it off early. (Can do this through a credit union loan. I’m not sure about a dealer.)
Take advantage of matching 401k funds offered by your employer. Learn at least a bit about investing and savings options. The days of fixed pensions are gone for most people.
Cheryl, although I’m only a modest stockpiler, some of the talk about AI freaks me out. I’m buying some spring water for drinking to keep on hand (usually drink water from the faucet.) And I think your wariness of the Internet may prove correct in the long run. I’m kind of glad that most of my electronics are “dumb” and I have batter-powered radios. Barbara M.
We all do things differently and that is what makes the world go round! You are fugal - you just don't do all the You Tubers or others say - and that is ok. You do you.
DeleteYou make excellent points and each one is so true. I have done them all.
That is why I just don't read a lot of naysayers or news anymore. They can get you all in a panic - and that isn't good for anyone. We just need to slowly look at what we have and how long will it last IF SHTF. You may want to extend the time you are prepared for - it is however you want to do it.
I love we all are different yet the same as we talked about last week.
What a lovely message about frugality, I completely agree with the distinction you make between being frugal and being cheap! It really is about being a good steward of what you have while still making room to help others and enjoy life. Good luck with the Blogger issue, how frustrating that you still aren't getting a clear answer!
ReplyDeleteThanks. I think we all need reminders from time to time. Like Barbara said - if you watch the news, it will get you all in a tizzy. We just need to be practical and know how to best use what we have to take care of our families. We have to take care of ourselves! Period.
DeleteIt is so frustrating for lots of bloggers, I know.
Pinned the frugal poster! Watch...prices, your bank balance, desires for something new, how long it takes to earn the $$$ for what you want, (is it necessary?). Can you buy it preloved?
ReplyDeleteSorry about the blogger problems. Sounds like someone either doesn't know what to do or is shifting blame elsewhere.
It is getting dark earlier each day. I'm like a chicken...if it is dark, I go to bed...ha! The Farmer looked at the weather and it looks like the rain is going north again. Those folks don't need any more rain. We could use some here.
The brussels sprouts weren't quite big enough to pick yesterday. I cut a few of the larger ones and finished out with some frozen brussels sprouts we were gifted. I'm hoping we will have enough asparagus next spring to freeze some for later. It will be the third year and the plants are huge. This hot weather is wreaking havoc with our fall crops. Too hot...
Wants and needs - knowing the difference! Exactly, you if are going to buy something, how many hours did you work to pay for it????
DeleteIt is so aggravating.
I really don't like the darkness at all - that is my least favorite part of fall and winter.
At is partly cloudy today - hoping that keeps the temps down a little. Oh those poor folks up north and the rain. We sure could use some here.
I think one's self image and how they want others to see them also affects a person's frugality and also how easy they want things. My mother had and my husband has what I think is an unbalanced view of finances and savings. It's nothing I can change so I learned to work around it. I do think retirement has given my husband pause though. He said he wanted roast beef sandwiches and I said when I see it on sale or as clearance meat ends I'll get it. But I'm not paying 15.99 at the deli! He wanted wings. Well, they're 14.99 for 2 pounds at Kroger. I picked up a package yesterday marked down to 4.50. He'd heard coffee was high so he asked how much I was paying. I told him the average regular price and that I only buy on clearance usually 5.00 or less for a 12 - 16 oz bag.
ReplyDeleteOne last story that I think shows he's starting to get it. On Labor Day we visited a somewhat touristy area that we ususlly visit one a year on a non-holiday. He wanted to get an ice cream cone. The lines were a mile long at 3 different shops and it seemed everyone was eating ice cream. He saw the price and said forget it. Over $6 for one scoop and over $9 for 2. He said just a few years ago we brought the whole family & he bought everyone a cone. He said no way I paid $6 each! I pointed out he probably paid $3 and at the time I probably thought that was too much!
Once I realized years ago how creative saving money and being fugal is I came to love it! My grandson & I made homemade noodles on Sunday completely by hand. Of course, it was about being together but those noodles only cost 50 cents for 3 servings and he said they were the best noodles he'd ever had!
It sounds like you are wearing on him now!!!! That is good. It is amazing how expensive eating out is, and certain things just cost crazy. Remember when they could hardly give wings away??
DeleteYou can buy an awful lot of ice cream and a box of cones for $9 per cone. I mean for 2 people that is $18 for 2 - 2 dippers.
I am with you - I find it fun and a challenge. I can spend on other things, when I can find much on sale or deals.
I just love finding deals, and buy very little at regular prices.
You are teaching another generation as well!!!! That is cool - I bet they tasted great.
First thank you for the reminder. I am frugal but never cheap. IT is how I am getting through these times.
ReplyDeleteI bookmark the blogs I like to read. So I didn't notice the lack of post notifications. Just looking at your side bar. Kim hasn't posted in 6 days. Um yes she has! Sam hasn't in over a week. I read something from her yesterday. This must be frustrating.
You are welcome. I do believe we all need a reminder now and then.
DeleteThank you for bookmarking my blog - that is a great way to always see a new one. Just check and there it is.
It is very aggravating for all that blog. I don't understand why there are so many problem lately.
Thanks for being here and finding a way to always be up to date. Just click on those on the blogroll (by blog name) and their new post will show.