Sunday, September 27, 2026

Weekly Wrap Up 9/27

 Happy Sunday to all.  Hope you are all well and safe.
We finally had a sunny day on Saturday and actually got into the 70's.  Windows have been open for several days.  All next week looks to be in the mid 70's - darn near perfect in my opinion.
It is 50* and downright chilly out the door this morning.  The huge old moon was big and bright earlier, and now the sun is shining.
                                          Still picking lovely blossoms - these smelled so good

Have seen Chuck the groundhog all week across the alley.  That bugger is huge and all it does is eat.  Must be getting ready for winter.
Still have a hummingbird now and then, but they have sure slowed.  Guess they are going home for the winter.  

I have talked many times about my 'kids' - my sis's children, a niece and 2 nephews.  When she passed at 48, Glen & I just kind of wrapped them in our arms, and they became our children.  Last evening the eldest nephew, Fred, (age 61), lost his battle with congestive heart disease.  I feel so much loss.  If you are so persuaded, please keep his brother and sister in your thoughts, also his children and grandchildren.  Everyone sure is in shock and disbelief.  All our hearts are sad this morning.💔


My frugal week:
  • Throws, throw rugs and table dressings all got laundered and some changed out for fall
  • I had a super craving for something sweet (I have not had sweets for a long while) and made a butter cake - no topping
  • Cleaned out my closet
  • Harvest - lots of peppers, a cuke and a couple toms
  • Tried my slippers from last year (that hurt my feet) and they are fine this year!!
  • Did some mending
  • Went out to use my gas points for the month - paid 3.09 gal. after discount
  • Stopped at thrift store and got free bread - I think I will use to make dressing bread or croutons
  • I did go and get MORE cat food - trying to get some every week to build stock up.  I found OJ on clearance and peroxide as well.
OJ has been so expensive - I won't pay $7 a gallon for it and I just love it.  I jumped on this
I use this for bleach - still haven't figured out why it was on clearance
  • I finished up the last of the 2 huge (75 oz.) bottles of Dawn I bought at a yard sale for $3 each 5 years ago!  That lasted and lasted
  • I also used the end of the milk I had open dated 9/1 - and last glass was as fresh tasting as the first
  • I sliced and fried up a can of Spam (YES I DID) and froze several slices for later
  • No AC or heat
  • Started using fall scent melts I had on hand
  • Cut back a lot of plants and bushes out back and did some raking
  • Made up several odd pieces of pork (from freezer) in the crockpot & shredded and ended up freezing 2 bags of pulled pork for later
  • Made a batch of hummer feed and cleaned and refilled probably the last time this year
  • Shopped the upright freezer and brought several items up to the frig freezer
  • Refilled baskets and jars from stock
  • Still working on fall cleaning
Weekly meals on a dime:
Green beans/potatoes, pulled pork, tomatoes
Pozole soup (pork & hominy & veggies)
Day 2 of Pozole & crackers
Taco 'stoup' from freezer over rotini pasta
Baby lima beans (from dry), Spam slices, cukes & tomatoes
Smoked sausage on bun, slaw (home canned) and tomatoes
Sliced potatoes, carrots, peppers, onions and sausage all sauteed together and tomatoes

How was your week?  Did you find any deals?  Are your gardens put to bed yet, or are your still harvesting?

I wish each of you a beautiful week ahead.  Health and safety to you all and your families.  Hold them close.
Blessings to you and yours from me at my humble little home.
***************************

Dear Lord, thank You for all our mercies, and for Your loving and kindness to each of us.  We ask that help heal hearts that are sad and fill each person with grace and hope.  May we all trust deeply, that Your will is done, and that we will one day understand.  Fill the hearts of each person with love and kindness towards others.  Thank You for walking with us each day.  AMEN

12 comments:

  1. Cheryl, I’m sorry for your loss of your dear nephew Fred. Age 61 is so young.

    Last night I spoke with my cousin in RI. They are being hammered with rain and wind from the nor’easter. Coincidentally yesterday was the 2-year anniversary of Hurricane Helene which flooded so much of my area (but not me, thankfully.) I’m sure that MaryB remembers.

    We are having a few days of lower humidity and a bit lower temperatures (mid-80s) and it feels wonderful. I’ve done so much in the yard. In the back corner there was a jumble of ferns, vines and an oak tree sapling and I got everything cleared out, including the oak using my Japanese hand saw. I was afraid that the remaining azalea was dead but there is new growth and now it has space and air and I hope it will grow. (This is the other side of the yard from the other azalea where I’ve been working.) Also I trimmed a lot on the bougainvillea and continued to work on the vines etc. growing up against the utility building on the other side of the yard. There I hope I’ve saved the yellow allamanda.

    I like jigsaw puzzles. I finished the one my friend gave me for my birthday. Only 700 pieces but challenging. She told me she bought it at a thrift store and I love that.

    I’m buying a gallon jug of extra water every time I go to the store.

    My Medicare Part D is increasing from $0 to $5.30 a month so not bad. (Still that is $63.60 a year.) But, there are many changes in co-pays and a higher deductible, $700. I’ll use the Medicare tool to compare. I buy my most expensive Rx eye drop with GoodRx/HippoRx instead of Part D.

    I have my eye appointment tomorrow, 40+ miles round trip so a lot of gas. Here it is about $4.29 a gallon. Barbara M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you
      Hope your cousins are safe from harms way!
      There are always those spots in the yard, where things go amuck! Hope your plants make it.
      I see so many brand new puzzles at the thrift store. She is a bargain shopper!
      It pays to buy extra on those things we will need, every week. It will get used.
      Good luck with your apptmnt. Sorry it is so far away.
      Have a good week.

      Delete
  2. Cheryl, kind regards at Fred's death. Trust that your sad heart will heal. Life is good, then it's bad, then it's good again. It's a frosty morning here in NE Alberta. The veg garden is cleaned out & tilled. There was a great crop of carrots. Petunia, marigold & geranium blossoms are hanging on in spite of the frosts. I'm always reluctant to pull them out even tho' I know their days are numbered. 9.5 qts of tomatoes were canned yesterday; more to go. Spent a night in the "big smoke" to have a block heater installed in the car & track down an oven element. However, there is now no power to the oven so I'll need to call in an electrician. I so miss the oven. These jobs are never as simple as one would hope. Just ask my neighbor who installed the trickle charger in the car. In the kitchen: corn chowder. Today I'll make a meat sauce to serve with spaghetti squash. Take care, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, our hearts heal, but he sure will be missed by many.
      Glad you got the garden plot all cleaned and tilled. You are on the ball.
      Yay, on the carrots.
      I bet you miss the oven - that would be upsetting. Of course, I don't use mine that often, but if it went out, I would have lots of plans!!!!
      Corn chowder sounds good.
      Thanks, you have a lovely week.

      Delete
  3. Happy Sunday Cheryl!
    I’m so sorry about your nephew Fred. I’ll be keeping his brother and sister in my prayers.
    That’s a great price on gas, considering the times.
    I’ve got our ac off too. At 53 degrees this morning it feels great!

    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I thought it was pretty decent on the gas too. I drive so little, that it doesn't take a lot to fill it up, but still!
      Enjoy the weather.
      Have a great week.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear of the loss of your nephew Fred. Prayers for all of the family. XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Condolences on your loss. I prayed.

    It was was 47⁰ yesterday morning! But it was so nice midday. Fall isn't my husband's favorite but he enjoys sitting in the backyard in the fall- no bees, no mosquitoes, not too hot!

    Good deal on the OJ. My husband drinks OJ and for the past 18 months I've managed to keep him stocked in OJ strictly on the clearance OJ I get at Kroger. If there's several available I buy a few & keep in my extra freezer (pouring off a little into a jar so the jugs don't explode). I don't think he really knows how much things cost because all he sees are those Kroger clearance stickers!! I have to say I forget, too, until I have to buy something at full price. Then I wonder how I'd do it if I couldn't shop clearances & Aldi's.

    Friday I went through my fridge and chopped/grated or cooked up lingering food. Made 2 grain bowls with some of that so far. Could do a soup or big salad today. So handy when I take the time to do that. It's almost like the meals make themselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      Yes, these mornings are cool again - but so right - no buggers out there!
      I love OJ, and just won't pay the full price. So I eat produce. I wish I found it on clearance more often at Kroger - I always look.
      Exactly those regular prices are why we hunt down the bargains!
      Preparing the goodies, does make meal prep so much easier. Good job.
      Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  6. Cheryl, I'm so sorry about the loss of your dear nephew. I will be keeping your family in my prayers.
    Your flowers are beautiful.
    I'm enjoying the great weather, too. 70's is perfect to me.
    Yesterday I made some chocolate chip cookies. I also made some pinto beans in the instant pot that we ate with Mexican rice and pico de gallo. This morning I got up early and made fried apples, taco soup, rosemary-parmesan no knead bread and banana bread. Most of it will go in the freezer for future meals and snacks. I haven't done a marathon cook-up for a while. It feels good to have things ready to go when I'm tired after work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent devotional! His mercies are new each day, and He never leaves our side. He sends His messengers to care for us.

    My sympathies on your loss. That seems so young to leave this earth. Same with his wife. Prayers for the family as they adjust to life without him. It is a cliche but he is in a much better place. I thought of that when I lost each of my very ill brothers. Not one more day of suffering for them.

    You always find the best deals! Free deals, especially. Your parents would have been proud of you.

    The picture of your flowers is beautiful. My roses are still blooming and I even saw a daylily blooming last week. We are beginning to harvest figs. Nothing like figs straight from the tree. Going to roast the beets we have pulled and add them to carrots from the garden for a side dish recipe I found. Putting green beans and potatoes on to cook in a little bit. Found two brisket burgers in the freezer and I'll cook those on the Foreman grill. Less messy than a skillet on the stove.

    My neighbor has her open heart surgery tomorrow. She indicated that she would probably go into a rehab place for a while. Two of my nephews had open heart surgery a few years ago, and got along fine, but they were younger than Karen. The Farmer and I have been storming the throne with prayers for her surgery and recovery, so she can finally get her painful hip replaced.

    Give Bits a snuggle for me! See you on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete