Sunday, March 18, 2018

Frugal Happenings 3/18

Good morning.  Here we are starting another week, and the month is over half over.  Calendar spring hits this week - but it won't feel much like it here.
We have had really chilly weather.  Today will be the best of the past 7 days and the upcoming 7 days!
I am so ready to work outside.  I think that is why I feel so lazy and just have no energy for much.  I haven't yet adjusted to daylight savings time - my clock is still wonky.  Isn't that crazy?  One hour shouldn't make a difference - but it does (at least for me).

I ran out on Friday, and while on my journey, I drove past a house I have always LOVED!  It is a log home, and that is just not common here.  We are city outer limits/suburbs, so you don't see log homes any where.  Behold they were having a moving sale!  I stopped.  Talking with an elderly lady who was working sale (she wasn't homeowner).  It was very windy and cold and she said she needed to go warm up - "would I like to see the inside?"  YEEEEESSSSSSS! Oh my - never did I imagine that!
It was sooooooo cool.  She had some of the neatest items in there.  I just stood there in awe.  It is already sold, or I would have inquired.
It wasn't huge, just 2 bedrooms, open floor plan, attached garage in back, a barn and lots of land.  It is right across from the orchard I go as well (that wouldn't hurt - LOL)  A front porch all the way across the front with rocking chairs.    Siiiiigggghhhhh!  Oh well.
It sure made my week!  It doesn't take much to make me happy!!!!!!

My allergies have already started acting up - UGH!  It's getting to be that time of the year.

My frugal week:
  • Made coco-wheats for G for a couple breakfast meals.  I added chocolate/peanut butter powder and he loved them
  • Found a .39 pack of clearance buns in the freezer and thawed.  Used part for sandwiches and the rest for garlic toast
  • Kept another peanut butter jar lid for dry storage
  • I am actually starting to get some room in the freezers again!  This not buying anything is really helping me motivate on that count.  I am using more of what we have - I really needed to start rotating stock.
  • Made dip again
  • Got a corned beef brisket out of freezer for St. Patrick's day.  Cooked in crockpot over night
  • Only left the house 1 day - really saving on gas.
  • I went to feed store on Friday to get corn AGAIN for squirrels
  • Stopped at Kroger on the way to feed store.  Only go to that Kroger when heading to feed store - as it's further away.
  • I got 4 packages of ground pork (each package around 1 lb. each) for less than a $1 each!  We love making 'burgers' out of it - tastes like pork chops! 
  • I also got 3 more 6 oz. packages of kitty treats (like I got last week), only these were cheaper at $1.22 each.  Then there was Kroger brand canned cat food (one type) for .10 can!  My kitties don't like it, but the odd strays that show up do (as does the possum).  I bought 20 cans - all they had.
  • Still working on spring cleaning - but as we know, cleaning never ends!
  • I did get 3 dozen canning jars (24quart & 12 pints) at the moving sale for a total of $5!  I bought 2 dozen and they threw in the 3rd dozen.  WOOHOO
  • All the normal things we do each day that are frugal!

Meals this past week:
Smoked jalapeno sausage sandwiches & chips and dip
Chicken strips and cheesy/broccoli rice
Spaghetti & meatballs and garlic toast
Super cheesy baked spaghetti & salad (used leftover over spaghetti for this)
Beef & rice and side salad
Pork burgers and leftovers
Homemade Reuben sandwiches & pickles (home canned - as was kraut)

                                                        Yummy Reuben sandwiches


G has decided it is time to lose weight again.  He lost so much a few years back, and slowly we have gotten back into our old ways.  This week I will be working on portion control again, and doing a lot more veggies.  We don't DIET here - we just change up our eating habits!

I also plan on dehydrating the green beans that are in the freezer.  It will clean out that portion of the freezer and I will have room for new summer veggies/goodies when the time gets here.

That's about all that has been on my plate this week.  How was your week?
Any good finds?  Any frugal ideas to share?

I hope you all have a safe , healthy and frugal week!  May God bless each of you.
Good wishes from our humble home to yours!

16 comments:

  1. Daylight Savings Time is hard for me to adjust to as well and takes me more than a few weeks to make the adjustment. How neat that the lady let you see the inside of her log cabin. My daughter bought me corn and a corn feeder for the squirrels for Christmas and I put it out this week, but so far no takers. There are plenty of squirrels here though, so I'm sure it is just a matter of time. What a great deal you were able to get on the pork! Your Reuben sandwiches look delicious. I hope you have a good and blessed week, Cheryl. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda once those little furry critters find you - there will be no going back! They come from all around here. It is funny to watch - coming in the morning and leaving in the evening.

      Glad to know it is not just me on the time issue. I just feel tired and out of sorts!
      Have a fantastic week

      Delete
  2. We are going to have Rueben sandwiches tomorrow. Yours just look delicious. The log home just sounds so pretty. We have a couple around here too. They kind of out of place but they are beautiful none the less. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - they were so yummy. I can't fix corned beef without fixing Rueben's. That was my purpose this time!
      ENJOY yours!!!!!
      Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  3. Oh I love logm cabins! I would love to have one someday. Glad you were able to go inside.
    Your meals sound and look delicious. I wanted to get a corned beef brisket, but they were $3.99/lb on sale which still seemed expensive to me. I'm sure that I bought one for $2 pound last year. Maybe I will find one marked down a bit.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy a log home has always been a dream of mine. At this point 'dream' is it!
      I got several last fall marked down on clearance. YAY for me.
      Hopefully you will find one or two marked down. Jump on them if you do!
      Have a great one.

      Delete
  4. I love log cabins. My husband and I love to visit them. You did great on the pork and cat food. I don't have a cat but I would have gotten it for the animal shelter at that price. I did find some good deals on the reduced produce rack. I got 6 yellow peppers for $1.99 and 6 cucumbers for $1.59.
    I started a blog. I hope you will stop by to see what else I did this week.
    -Marybeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marybeth. Yu did get some good deals. Produce is so expensive, especially during the winter months.
      I will have to stop by and read your blog.
      Thanks for visiting and have a good week.

      Delete
  5. My late in laws had a beautiful log cabin in the NC mountains. There was a long porch all the way across the back overlooking a huge waterfall and there were rockers and porch swings to enjoy the view. I would love to go back there for an afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lana how lovely. I can close my yes and almost see it. That would be heaven to me.
      There are just some places that an extra afternoon would be glorious at.

      Delete
  6. Nothing better than a porch with room for lots of rockers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a treat to be able to see the inside of that log cabin! I would love to live in one. :) You got a screaming great deal on the pork and the canning jars. Yay!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My neighbors are building one this spring on their 'camp' land, the supplier/builder is Cozy Cabins, New HOlland, PA. (mycozycabins.com)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A front porch with rocking chairs is such a promise. It's kind of like hope that someday I'll have time to rock on a porch! Shelling peas. Which magically grew by themselves, or with a minimum of effort from me, who was gardening in the perfect spring weather with lovely gloves and a cute trowel! I love dreaming.

    I'm trying to think of some dreams that I can accomplish for myself, right here. They won't be a porch and rocking chairs, but hopefully will be good! In fact, my husband and I plan to talk a few things over this weekend and make some plans. It's been a while since we were able to do that!

    ReplyDelete