It is mind boggling that tomorrow is October!
We have had quite a chilly week (I love it) compared to past weeks. It has been in the 60's and 70's during the day and upper 40's and 50's at night. It is quite refreshing to sleep with the window open a bit and snuggle under the covers!
This next week it is going to warm up again with highs in low and mid 80's.
My hummingbirds have left for warmer places. They were here last Sunday and I saw them first thing Monday morning. They fluttered directly in front of the kitchen window as if they were saying "thank you and see you next spring". I will miss my little flying jewels.
My frugal week:
- Produce has drastically dropped off. I harvested around 6 1/2 lbs. and most of it was peppers - a few tomatoes.
- Hosed down the front of the house, the porch, and the furniture on the porch. Looks so fresh!
- Mowed and did some yard work
- Washed windows, mirrors and glass on pictures
- G had a birthday this week and I made him a German chocolate cake - his absolute favorite. I had a mix I got on clearance , but of course it didn't make up like the picture. It had no ICING - just stuff you mix in the cake. So I made the topping from scratch. Dang was that cake rich and yummy - we even shared with neighbor - too much for us to eat here (sugar wise).
- No AC at all this week - windows open and house aired out
- Cut some herbs for drying
- Saved old bread - drying. Starting to make dressing bread for the holidays
- Received more individual pop bottles to use for water storage
- I did run to Kroger for milk and eggs this week. I found 3 Mrs. Wages pickles mixes and 2 - Mrs. Wages hot salsa mixes on clearance and got them for my brother's Christmas basket.
- Went to Big Lots 20% off sale yesterday and found 2 nice duffle bags. They were already on clearance 75% off (school supplies were all marked down) and I got another 20% off - I paid $2 each for them!!!!!!! They will be the 'goody bags' for 2 of the teenage kids this Christmas. (They are both into sports - so should come in handy)
- Got a ton of small maintenance projects done on Friday. Little things that needed to be done before winter. Feels good to have them done
- Neighbors had a yard sale Saturday. I bought myself ANOTHER sewing machine! I have 2 - one that gives me headaches (I need it serviced) and one that I inherited (haven't even tried it). This one was too good of a deal to pass on. It was marked $25 I offered $20 - she said yes. The original tag on the box says $97. E-Bay $75 and up. If nothing else I can gift it to a niece OR keep myself! We will see.
Meals this past week:
Remade balance of broc./cheddar soup into a chowder & had sandwiches with it
B-day dinner - G wanted food from 50's Diner (HUGE breaded tenderloins/fries/onion rings)
Open face cheeseburgers and slaw, tomatoes
Chef salad - beef stick/cheese/crackers
Taco/Mexican type soup - 2X
Smoked sausage, 4 cheese mac n cheese and tomatoes
That pretty well sums up my week. Just doing all the normal stuff.
How was your week? Any great deals? Gardens still producing? Preserving goodies?
Let us know.
Prayers for a healthy and happy week for each of you. Good forward and do or say something nice to/for someone this week - it will help counter balance all the negative out there. If we all do good - it could change everything. It's 'catching' you know!!!!!
Blessings to you ALL from our humble home to yours!