Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Using What You Have - NO SPENDING


How long could you go without spending money?  Yes, we all have monthly bills that need to be paid.  Mortgage, rent, utilities, insurance, medical, some groceries, etc..  These are things we just can't always get away from.
I have read many articles about  couples who have gone  months and even a year without any unnecessary spending.  It is possible.  It is an important lesson we can all learn, and it can be a huge money saver and builder of savings and investments.

I have done a few months each year for several years, doing this.  I usually start the year out this way.  The weather is nasty out, so I have no real  urgent need to leave the house.  I have usually added to my stocks watching sales in the fall/winter.  My canning has been done.  Holidays have come and gone, and I have lots of new things I received as gifts.
Summers seem to be easy as there are fresh crops coming on.
Truthfully I think I could do this most any time.


We all need to realize that odds are pretty darn good that we do not NEED new clothes.  We do not NEED to eat out.  We do no NEED to buy new household gadgets.  We do not NEED to go to the movies.  We do not NEED to shop online.  We no not NEED to stop and get an expensive coffee or pop.  We do not NEED most anything that stores sell.  Most of us DO NOT NEED at all!

I would love to see everyone try going a month (or more) without spending!  That means no yard sales, no craft shows, no fabric stores, no binge buying, no books or magazines, nothing extra!!!!!
Use what you have!!!!!!

I find it quite easy most of the time, as there just isn't much at all that I need.  We have to remember WANTS and NEEDS are so very different.

When it comes to your meals, try going to a place like my fridge food.  There are many sites that give you ideas and recipes using ONLY what you have.  You may find some new family favorites.  Use your fresh produce.  Stay home and save money.

Read and discover new worlds.  Watch You-tube and find new tricks and ways of doing things and fixings things.  Make entertainment at home for the kids.  Work on de-cluttering your home and sell or donate (you will discover forgotten items as well).  Cook from scratch.  Barter with neighbors and friends.  Rearrange things in the house to jazz it up a bit (makes it easier to not buy).  Mend your clothing.  No gifts - make something.  Sew and craft.
Just DO IT!  Get creative and save your hard earned money.

I challenge you!  Stop spending and see how freeing it really is.
It may seem difficult at first - but it actually becomes a way of life.  Once you begin this journey - you will realize that much of your spending is unnecessary and it is just habit (bad habit).

That money saved will help with those unexpected bills as well.  Car breaks down.  AC/furnace breaks down.  Help pay down mortgage or pay off medical bills.  Emergency fund.
You can do it.

YOU HAVE BEEN CHALLENGED!
Have you done this regularly or are you willing to try?  Let us know!
Good luck and happy saving.


26 comments:

  1. I'm willing to try in August. Seems like what can go wrong has lately. Well pump went out last month. Transmission going out in car now. Son starts college next month.
    Glad I don't really like shopping. ;) I haven't even looked at the amazon prime deals.
    I am having an abundance of cukes and zucchini, so I went back through your zucchini recipes. We really enjoyed the zucchini pie yesterday, and I'm going to see what else I can fix. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY for giving it a try. It does seem like when it rains it pours. I totally understand. I had brake problems in vehicle, medical bills, new glasses(a must). It seems those big things all hit at once.
      You can do this!!!!!!!

      I will try to post a few new zucchini recipes I have found as well.
      Zucchini is so flexible. If you have zucchini and tomatoes you can make most anything!!!!
      GOOD LUCK!

      Delete
    2. Oh I made your Mom's zucchini skillet, and it was so good! I should have doubled it since the family gobbled it down. Thank you!

      Delete
    3. YAY! Glad you liked it. It has always been a family favorite here!

      Delete
  2. Just the reminder and incentive I needed! I think spending becomes a habit and a "comfort activity". I have to remind myself that creating something from what I already have is just as comforting, if not more so. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good - glad to hear it.
      I agree. Spending is comfort, emotional and habit sometimes.
      Getting creative (no matter on what) is so rewarding.
      GOOD LUCK!

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a really good idea. I will try to have a no spend August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me - you will be amazed at how much random spending you do!
      Let's get creative!!!!!

      Delete
  4. Since I have been on this repay my debt journey, I have become much more aware of what I need. Which is nothing. I feel sometimes like I have a new life. I was always frugal because I had to be, but now I want to be. I can't wait to see what I can do with my life when I am finally debt free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You need nothing, then had to be frugal - and now want to be. You just said it all.
      It is amazing what a little determination and creativity can do.
      Good job!

      Delete
  5. Well said! I hate shopping and only spend what I have to. I don't get retail therapy at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      I love to grocery shop - but don't need to much. Other shopping just isn't my thing either.

      Delete
  6. I have certainly reduced spending since I retired but I'd find it tough to do a no-spend month. Just today I picked up some groceries including fruit, veg, eggs, yogurt, and 3 lbs. of lean ground beef. These items let me make hot weather meals.

    I have been spending more on meals and entertainment due in large part to a friend who is going through a nasty separation, likely divorce. She needs to be out of the house while he is packing so we've gone to the movies a couple of times, out for coffee several times and for meals too. Hopefully things settle down soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh heck we all have to shop some. Good old summer time meals are great.
      Sorry for your friend. It is understandable that you want to stand by them and comfort them. That situation won't last forever.
      Take care - you are a good friend to her.

      Delete
  7. It started with one 4 year old grandson saying "Gramma, you don't need that, you just want it" .. now all seven grandbabies tell me this on a regular basis. They are totally right .. I have absolutely no needs. A no spend month sounds like a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goodness those babies have learned early! Good job on someone's part! That is a lesson they will hopefully carry all their lives.
      Glad you are on board.

      Delete
  8. I have done this a few times. Stocks are low right now, but once we get into the city for a stock up shop (just before winter) I will be prepared to have another go for a month or two. Right now I shop once a week and for the most part stick to what we really need, dairy, fresh produce (our garden is not producing quite yet), and fruit.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good deal. Seems that fall is a great time to stock up. So many holiday sales and many fall fruits and veggies that last.
      My garden (as it is) is barely starting to produce a thing or two.
      Good luck!

      Delete
  9. I do this all the time. When we were getting out of debt we lived like this for almost 3 years. It had to be a need. My kids are fully grown. I don't need to buy them new clothes every season. They fit into last years shorts still. We have done a few clothing swaps over the years and everyone feels like they get a new wardrobe.

    I have done no spend grocery months to use up older food. It is great.People would be surprised at how little they really need to be happy. As long as I have my library card I would be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes mam. I like the clothes swap idea - that would be perfect for school age kids.
      Love no spend months. We NEED so little to be happy. People just need to realize that.
      Libraries give you the world!!!!!

      Delete
  10. What a handy helper/tool that "my fridge food" website is! Ty for sharing it, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that site. It is fun even when you have plenty just to get new ideas!
      You are welcome!!!

      Delete
  11. I'm definitely on board for a no-spend August (starting now lol). I have a tiny freezer full and I'm excavating my way through the fridge. I've been so blessed with fresh fruit and vegetables gifted from a friend and a niece. Any tips on drying fruit in the oven? I don't have a dehydrator. Friends are either using theirs or given them away. Thanks for the post, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY. Yes you can dehydrate in the oven on low temp. I used to use 225* and leave the door cracked open an inch or so (lets humidity out).
      If yours goes lower than that you may start lower and experiment. It works - did it for years before getting a dehydrator.
      You have been blessed. So happy for you.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Cheryl! You've saved me dollars by saving my bounty! I am so excited to do this!

      Delete