Thursday, July 9, 2020

Just a Low Maintenance Simple Gal

Yep, I am very low maintenance.  I love a simple life.  The older I get the more I enjoy both of these things.
I am jeans and t-shirt kind of gal.  That is basically all I wear.  In the winter just change out t-shirt for sweatshirt.  I don't wear shorts any more.  I could - the legs still look pretty good - but I just don't.  Once in a while I will wear a pair of capris but not often.
I do have a couple nice dresses for those special events and a couple to just feel free in!  I have blazers to add to jeans or dress pants and also sweaters.

I go barefoot MOST of the time.  Yes, I wear flip-flops outside when I have to  in the summer and I have slippers and a pair of comfy slides for outdoors in the winter (for around the house).  I do have dress shoes - they just aren't worn often.
Flip-flop feet!!!!!  Honest they aren't dirty - just tanned over from wearing flip-flops!

I love simple foods.  I can be happy eating just about anything.  I can eat a salad and be happy, I can eat a plate of veggies and be happy, I can have a bologna sandwich and be happy and I can eat biscuits and jelly and be happy.  It really doesn't matter to me.  I don't have to cook if I don't want to any more.  Just me and I have no rules.  YES, I wish I still had someone to cook for.  I miss hearing "what's for dinner tomorrow?" right after dinner tonight!!!!!  That was a comical moment each evening.
But now there are no rules - so if I want chips and salsa I will have that.

I hardly ever wear make-up any more.  I always used to put on some make-up each day.  Now not so much.  Shoot, even when I go out now - no one can see the bottom of my face!!!  I will do my eyes up - but that is about it.
I have NEVER had a professional mani or pedi.  If I get polish - I do it myself.
I haven't used a blow dryer or a curling iron in years and years.  My hair is short and I let it dry naturally.  I run a brush through it as it dries and that is all it takes.  I think I still have both of those things around here - but not sure where.

When I work in the yard - I wear a head band to keep sweat from my eyes.  It helps a lot.  I also have my homemade hankies with me - just to wipe sweat and I am one of those people who gets a runny nose when I sweat!
Headbands (sweatbands) always at the ready

I need to wear sunglasses on bright days.  I chose not to get script sunglasses again last summer when I went to the eye doctor, until I saw if my script was right.  Glad I didn't, as I really don't like this script.  I had clip-ons, but lost them someplace!!!!
So I have a cheap pair of total covering glasses that go over glasses - kind of like people wear when having eye surgery.  I think I paid a $1 at a yard sale. 
Most of the time, I now wear a $13 pair of Foster Grant's right OVER my glasses.  They fit perfectly and unless you are close you'd never know.  If someone thinks they look goofy (over others) - I don't care.  They work for me!

I haven't bought much new for my house or changed much in years.  I have thought about it - was actually in the mood for some new furniture and then everything closed.  Kind of lost my oomph for it now!  I will change things eventually - until then I am totally cool with what I have.

I listen to the oldie goldie's ONLY!  That is my favorite music - the stuff I listened too as a youngster.  I can't tell you the last time I listened to a new or modern group (unless maybe as background on a TV show).  Most stuff I have heard is awful, repeating the same thing over and over, can't be understood and they all sound the same! 
Just give me that old time rock n roll!!!!

Give me my fur babies, my flowers, my nature, my garden and my little house and I am quite content. 
There is much to be said for contentment!!!!
I haven't changed much about my life at all through all the stuff going on in the world.  No, I don't see family like I would like, and I do wear a mask when out (still mandatory in my county) - but that is about it. 
I basically live a quiet and simple life.  Nothing has changed.

So there you have ME!  Low maintenance and simple.  I like it that way.  I am pretty happy -  considering being alone.  I am content.
If you like what you see - great.  If you don't - I don't give a bahooey!!!!!!
 
I am me.  I think I am still a gal of the 50's and 60's.  That will never change.
Be happy with who you are!  Do what makes YOU happy!
Live your best life!

Plant the flowers and ENJOY the flowers - nature is beautiful and so are YOU!

35 comments:

  1. I think this is the best way to be..yourself. It makes us happy.
    My feet look just like yours! I thought they were dirty myself the other day. Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is! Keeps things simple too.
      Glad to know others have flip-flop feet!

      Delete
    2. I decided to go bare footed to get the clothes off the line just now. I was stung by a ground bee..back to flip flops.



      Delete
    3. Oh crap! That hurts. Been there and done that. I tend to wear them outside when the clover is blooming - just in case!

      Delete
  2. Cheryl, Just reading your post made me happy. :) Yes, be you. Simplicity is wonderful. The older I get , the less I care about fluff. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good word - "fluff". I am not a fluff person at all!!!
      I guess I used to be - but not any more!

      Delete
  3. I'm much the same, simple outfits (though I do wear Capris most of the summer), no make-up, no fancy hair-do, and I like routine. I haven't worn shoes with heels in years, and much prefer my sandals and flip-flops.
    It may just my opinion, but I think that people that find contentment in the simple things in life, who see joy in the everyday (like flowers, small animals) are the most content. Of course it's become much easier since I retired. The last year or so of my work-life was incredibly stressful...so glad to be done with that.
    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree wholeheartedly! Work was stressful back in the day. Had to be dressed up and all proper. I did it for years. So happy to be done with all that!
      A simple life is contentment and is freeing. Life gives us many wonders and we need should enjoy them all.

      Delete
  4. I'm low maintenance too! I wear jeans and t-shirts, not much makeup. I don't even like getting my hair cut, and I haven't had a haircut since the virus started. I've never had a manicure or pedicure, nor do I want one.
    I enjoy the simple things, camping, hiking,cookouts with family.
    I've been watching Little House on the prairie which I hadn't seen in years. There isn't much I want to watch on network tv anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to go camping and spend weekends with family and friends. It was so relaxing and we enjoyed each other and nature.
      I love those old shows. I like the Walton's too. Just a different time - hard work - but love always endured! At least that is how they were portrayed!!!

      Delete
  5. I am low maintenance too. I am happy to sit outside on the hammock looking at the birds and my garden. Throw in chocolate I am in heaven. I rarely wear makeup. I have never had a professional manicure. My daughter has been cutting my hair the last few years. I am happy staying home watching a movie with Hubby with some home cooked food. Going on walks with Oreo and my daughter are a favorite activity. Playing games as a family and making cookies are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a lovely life to me. Heavenly and blissful.
      Simple is beautiful!

      Delete
  6. Cheryl, I'm with you on the oldies music. Have made my own playlists from them on my phone. Life is simpler as one. I'm starting to get use to not being the caretaker. Funny how we become something by chance and can't shake it, right? I becoming me again, but after reading your post I see I have a ways to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweety it sure takes time. I was a caregiver for years as well. I loved it - but I miss it too. Never thought that would be me when I was younger.
      We just slowly change as life throws new things our direction. I am not anywhere that is familiar yet!!!! I am slowly getting there.
      We belong to a club no one wants to be in. You will slowly become a DIFFERENT YOU and that is OK - I am finally seeing that!
      Blessings

      Delete
  7. Like you I love the old music but our neighbours play loud noise stuff which I don't name as music more like a tribal beat. I wear trousers and tops, don't wear make-up and normally have my hair cut every 6 weeks but it has now been four months when I have it done again on 21 July. I love sitting in the garden preferably in the morning when there is no loud music and no screaming children. It is so lovely and peaceful and watching birds coming to the feeder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure appreciate the quiet when it comes! I have noticed now that all the fireworks have stopped, just how peaceful it is. Birds, kitties and nature is what I hear. It is lovely.
      I kept my hair cut - as I do it myself. But I do understand that so many have waited for ages. What a treat that will be for you!
      Enjoy your solitude as you get it!

      Delete
  8. I love your simple life and strive to be there someday, although I don't think I should go without a little makeup, I am so pale I look like a ghost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh kiddo I know I look best with it - but there is something freeing about not wearing it. Summer I get color.
      I hope you get there - it really is contentment.

      Delete
  9. I think you must be my older sister! I've never been "fluffy". I don't own a dress, have one pair of low heel pumps I wore for job interviews, and threw out all of my makeup when we decided I was staying home for good after losing my job. Never had a mani or pedi. I wear men's t-shirts and capri leggings in the summer and sweat pants in the winter with a favorite flannel shirt as a house jacket. I also don't wear a bra unless I absolutely have to. That means the neighbors have seen my old lady ti#ies flopping around when I do yard work or walk to the mailbox, and I don't care! When Husband retired, he threw out his ties and watch. He wears t-shirts and nice sweat pants year 'round with an ancient fleece jacket (a freebie from Ducks Unlimited) in the winter. I never go barefooted due to pins, needles and kitty litter in the house and bees outside. If I can't wear my (leather) tennis shoes somewhere, I'm not going! My hair is long (and currently up in a bun), hasn't been cut in over a year and probably won't be cut until next year. Don't color it, either. Husband got his first haircut in 6 months yesterday. Left more on the floor than on his head! I paid careful attention to the stylist so I can do it if we go into lockdown again. We haven't watched TV in 10 years and read and talk to each other. We like silence, especially in the evening. I listen to even older "oldies" than you do: classical music. Found a great free (and no advertising!) station on the computer. Our house is decorated in Early American Garage Sale and put-together furniture. We eat simple food, too. If I can't get it at Aldi or the local grocery, we're not going to eat it. It all works for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me chuckle!!! I love that you are both so comfortable and cozy in your lifestyle.
      I forgot to mention - I do have many no bra days when staying home. Luckily 'my girls' aren't flopping yet! They aren't that big though. LOL

      I have tennis shoes - but rarely wear them - I just hate having my feet stuffed into something. I like the freedom.
      You can do the haircuts - it isn't that hard for guys.

      I couldn't do without TV (well I could but don't want to). I like having something to see at night. I go to sleep when I read often - so that doesn't always work. I can only do so much music then I get nervous. So TV it is.

      Love your attitude and your lifestyle. Be true to you!

      Delete
  10. I can eat biscuits and jelly and be VERY happy, LOL. I am also a low maintenance woman. Just gimme my old time rock'n'roll!
    --Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we would get along well! Nothing like hot biscuits and jelly!

      Delete
  11. I'm an 80s music girl, a little of everything. The GoGos, Billy Joel, etc. I can just as easily do the 50s or Tchaikovsky! Never a Beatles fan or much from the 70s.

    I do my own hair dye, toes and nails. I'm a redhead and my grey hair is a horrific Brillo pad color and texture. I can't bear it! I look sickly. My grandma had soft white hair when she went grey and it was so beautiful. I missed that gene entirely!

    I'm a barefoot girl too. I put on shoes only when I leave the house. How Tightwad of me huh?! I love dresses and I have both summer and winter frocks. I do garden in them unless I'm crawling around.

    I'm definitely not a fancy foody. I'm the one who used to get taken to fancy places and ordered chicken! Plain. My idea of fancy is Red Robin these days!

    I love to craft and especially using old things to make yard art.

    My dream car is a Ford F150 😆. I love nature and my wild friends living in the backyard. For my next vacation, I really want to see MT. Rushmore and the Black Hills. Our vacations have always been cabins in the woods somewhere... We never leave our doggies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry the gene missed you! I know my hair is really getting gray, which I am not ready for. I keep coloring. My sister had beautiful hair that was so salt and pepper - like frosted. If I thought mine would be like that I would let it go. I just don't think I have a lot of pepper!! LOL
      Dad got white hair early on - but Mom did well until she got sick.

      I like dresses for hanging out - just don't have many. I like simple foods too. I keep thinking I might get a truck whenever I replace mine. I like a hauling machine!

      I love hearing so many of us are just simple gals.

      Delete
  12. My daughter at heart! Love a low maintenance life. Guess what? The beauty queens with all the clothes and make-up get old to. Save my make-up for dressing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good point. We are all going to get old (God willing) and age. I pretty much save mine for just such occasions any more.
      Low maintenance is just easy!

      Delete
  13. I'm pretty much a simple girl at heart too. I do my own mani/pedis never had it done and my hair hasn't been cut for a year now. It's pretty salt and peppery. I love wearing dresses. And I'm always barefoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another one of my hippy chicks!!!!!! I love it. I guess we just grew up at the right time.
      I am glad we did.

      Delete
  14. Few folks seem to be content with what they have. Ecclesiastes 1:4-11 says it very well; "there is nothing new under the sun". I read this during my devotional time this morning: 1 Timothy 6:6-12 "But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that". Some people are always chasing after the newest, latest and what they think is better. Here is a quote from Ray Charles: “I'm not into the money thing. You can only sleep in one bed at a time. You can only eat one meal at a time, or be in one car at a time. So I don't have to have millions of dollars to be happy. All I need are clothes on my back, a decent meal, and a little loving when I feel like it. That's the bottom line.” Most of the new "music" is garbage. Give me a little jazz, classical or southern gospel and I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen - preach it sister! I agree with everyone of those.
      Ray Charles is so right - we all basically end up with a 6' pc. of real estate. We aint getting out of here alive for sure. And NO you can't take it with you.
      Too many prioritize the wrong things.

      Delete
  15. I sure miss the '50's and '60's also. Completely different world from what we have now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You betcha. So laid back, happy, and crazy in a good way!

      Delete
  16. I like my clothing but mainly becaause im a bright girl. but I'm from the south and I wear maxi dresses instead of shorts or capris all sumer-casual maxi but maxe (so much cooler than shorts, so much) seriously though, I just cut my own covid hair with clippers, so im no maintenance with the exception of pedicure (cant reach my own feet), earrings and perfume. My children have joked that I could be scrubbing the floor and be wearing rags and have on perfume and earrings.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, my, do I love flip flops. For years, I could not wear them because of something wrong with my foot. BUT, since I broke my foot, I can wear them again. Can't stand to wear shoes...they absolutely wear me out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cheryl I wish you were my neighbor! It doesn't take a lot to make me happy and I am blessed with all I need and most of what I want.
    I was widowed 16 months ago and still working on my new "normal".
    Love your energy and knowledge.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete