Thursday, January 28, 2021

EASY YUM from the pantry!

 We all like easy!  We all like yummy!  We all like using the pantry and freezer and using what we have!  
Here are a couple recipes that just brighten a day and can be made pretty much from things many of us keep on hand.


CARAMEL SAUCE
1 - 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
THAT'S IT!!!
Remove the label from the can.  Place unopened can in a pan of hot water - making sure the can stays covered with water!!!!!  This is important**.  Bring to a soft boil for about 3 hours (keep adding water as needed - important**).  The longer it goes, the darker the caramel.
You can also do this in the slow cooker - but it takes about 8 hours.
Safely remove can from water (it is HOT) - I use my canning tongs.  Let it cool for about 30 minutes.  Pour out of can and stir until smooth.  Pour into a canning jar and refrigerate leftovers.
Use this as you would any caramel sauce.  Over ice cream, over desserts or in baking.  YUMMO and EASY
This is basically dulce de leche.  You can purchased that in the grocery - but it costs a lot more than sweetened condensed milk.  PLUS odds are you have the sweetened milk already in your pantry!!!!



EASY BEER BREAD
I made mine the other day from a mix - but it is very easy to do from scratch.

3 C self rising flour
1/4 C sugar
1 12 oz. beer
Mix this all together (don't over mix) and bake in a greased 9 x 5 bread pan at 350* for about 45 minutes.
*If you don't have self rising flour - make your own by adding a  little baking powder
*You can use any type beer - dark or stouts will deepen flavor of bread
This bread has a sweet yet yeasty taste.  NO beer taste at all.  It isn't the consistency of white bread - it is a bit coarser.
I have even used it for cinnamon/sugar toast!


NO BAKE CHEESECAKE
1 - 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese (softened)
1/3 C sugar
1 small container Cool Whip (thawed)
Mix all these together until smooth.  Pour into a graham cracker crust or whatever crust you have and chill.
You can add any toppings desired.  (HMMMM - maybe caramel from above, a little chocolate syrup and nuts!)
So creamy and tasty.

**I have also mixed cream cheese with a package of instant pudding.  I will make the pudding as directed (maybe a little less milk) and then whip in the softened cream cheese.  This makes for a fluffy and flavored cheesecake 'tasting' pudding!  Super tasty.  I often serve this with a side of vanilla cookies or graham crackers.  Dip and eat!!  No need for a crust.


Hope this gives you an idea or two for a treat over the weekend.  Use what you have in new ways and ENJOY!
We can have fun, eat well, and have a varied menu using just what we have at home.

Live like a queen on pennies utilizing your own resources and skills.

12 comments:

  1. I forgot about the Eagle Brand Caramel sauce. I have an old EB cook booklet from the thirties or so that gives that and several other recipes.
    Thanks for the reminder. My family loves beer bread. I like to sub seltzer water, but they prefer the beer taste. I just never buy beer!
    Blessings!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that some sub clear soda pop as well. I don't notice any beer taste at all. Not something I drink - have had since before hubby passed.
      Blessings

      Delete
  2. Mmmm, beer bread - I can imagine the aroma. Gonna give this a try. I'll bet that no-bake cheesecake filling would be a yummy dip for fruit, too! kinda like the sugar cookie "pizza" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly on the no bake. I have used on the fruit pizza before and yes it makes a wonderful fruit dip. I usually don't add the cool whip when making dip.

      Delete
  3. Oh my I could eat all three of these by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These do look tasty! Sadly my A1C is up so I will have to forgo any treats for a while. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it really interesting to see what people across the world are cooking and baking which is similar to us and yet so different too! What is Cool Whip - it is obviously something kept in the freezer rather than a store cupboard but not something I've ever heard of in UK. Vicki in Yorkshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool Whip is a creamy frozen concoction that is a substitute for whipped cream. It really isn't cream like - more like ice cream - but used in a similar fashion to whipped cream. It is an inexpensive substitute.
      I like finding out new ways and new names for things as well. It makes life interesting

      Delete