Sunday, February 28, 2021

Weekly Wrap-Up 2/28

 Well, here we are at the end of another month.  Goodness.
It is 50* this morning and raining.  What a difference a couple weeks makes!!!!  The piles of snow are now gone from my yard - it really is hard to believe.
It looks as if March will come in like a lamb - sunny and 40's.  Weather should be more normal this week for this time of the year.  YAY.
Now we just get through muddy season!

Birds and squirrels are not eating as much this week.  Guess they like the warm weather as well.  It seems to be mating season!!  Kitties are loving the warmer days and sunshine.

My week:
  • I refilled all the feed bins with supplies on hand
  • Swept out the greenhouse, swept the front porch (a couple times), shook out door throw rugs. mopped kitchen
  • Got to air out the house on 3 days this week (above 50*)
  • Made new weather strip flaps on the greenhouse door.  The others were brittle and broke after so many years of weather.  I used Gorilla tape and made very sturdy strips myself - worked great
  • I ate my LAST garden tomato!!!  Yep - had one left from picking green in fall.
  • I had cabin fever and got out one day.  I ran to Fresh Thyme and got my supplements I wanted and got a few fresh veggies
  • Made a stop at Kroger as well just to look and got a couple good deals.  That was all I got
                     2 bags of mini cookies - lasagna noodles and Worcestershire sauce
      Manager's special markdown - .79 a jar.  Got the last 3 on the shelf.  I love Polish pickles
The container of dip veggies on markdown for 1.29.  Pretty darn cheap for an assortment
  • I then stopped at Big Lots to look for some flat cushions for a couple lawn chairs - they had nothing I could use.  Found chips on clearance!!!
                                       .48 a bag!!  I got 4 bags.  WOOHOO
  • Just doing all the normal stuff - vacuuming, laundry, dusting, cooking from scratch, watching You Tube videos, etc.
  • Found a partial jar of home canned kraut in the frig.  Don't know how that happened!!  Usually if some is left I eat it straight from the jar within a day or two!!  LOL  I used it up
  • Washed out a few baggies and a juice bottle to reuse
  • Found a bag of faux crab in freezer that I used this week for 2 different meals
Meals this past week:
Veggie soup (from freezer) and garlic toast
Faux crab salad sandwich and pickles
Crab/mac/pea/cheese casserole  - think upscale tuna mac!  It was tasty
Mushroom/Swiss burger and salad
Soft fish tacos and corn chips
Tuna patty and salad
Smoked sausage with kraut and mashed potatoes

Just using what I have and trying to get a little creative with it.  I have enjoyed the warmer temps and some sunshine this week.  Got to actually 'fence' chat with a neighbor a couple times.
How was your week?  What has everyone been up to?

Blessings from my humble home to yours.

Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.
Proverbs 27:17
Dear Lord, may we continue to bless each other with ideas and love to help each and every one we come in contact with.  Help us to lift one another up with joy!  Amen


26 comments:

  1. The gorilla tape works so good, Cheryl. I can see it making a very good weather stripping.

    It's been a long time since I had any kraut. I need to have some soon.

    I hope you are having a good Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That tape is so strong - it is fantastic - a tiny expensive - but worth it in the long run.
      I love kraut - and it is so good for your tummy!
      Have a good one.

      Delete
  2. It's been kind of a quiet week here, as well. I've tried to catch up on some inside deep cleaning, but have enjoyed getting out and walking in our neighborhood and adjoining park. With the warmer temps, our snow mounds are quickly disappearing and the sidewalks are again passable and ice-free -- except in one spot that had a "snow plow avalanche" over the parkway, took down a small tree, and completely blocked a sidewalk. That one will be there for a little while longer, I'm afraid.

    I did a grocery run for a few perishables that will be necessary to complete items on my menu this week. I added some pudding that was on clearance for 0.89/box + I had a coupon. I also got a mailer from the store with coupons and I was able to get a green pepper for $0.29 (were on sale @ 0.79 each and I had a 0.50 off in the mailer) and I got a free lemon. I also ran to our local Menards, since I had rebate cash. They typically carry a flavored coffee I like to have during the St. Patrick's Day season. Looks like they quit carrying it in the bags and have eliminated most of their "scoop" coffee in favor of pods. But, I was able to get some other grocery items from my list at a good price. AND they had wide-mouth canning lids (regular-mouth lids were already sold out) -- first time I've seen lids in any store in over a year! I grabbed 3 boxes, since I don't use a lot of wide-mouth jars. Thanks to my rebate cash, two full bags ran me $3.29 out-of-pocket.

    Need to get a move on! Make it a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the warmer temps sure are appreciated every where! Love seeing the snow and ice go bye-bye.
      You did well - I never get coupons for produce. I haven't been to Menard's since before all the Covid stuff started. I love that store. May need to make a run there soon. They always have some good grocery deals.
      YAY on the lids!!!!!! Get them while you can - you never know!
      What a deal for 3.29 for all!!!!!
      Enjoy your day.

      Delete
  3. I shop Meijer and have an mPerks account, and have been getting a monthly packet of coupons in the mail. They say they are "hand picked just for you" and seem to be based on your previous purchases or as an enticement to try an alternate brand. My packet for March just arrived and includes bananas (50% off), 0.25 off my pup's favorite treats; Pills. Grands biscuits (0.30 off), green pepper (0.25 off); quart Meijer milk (0.25 off -- since it's just me, this is the size I buy); store brand black olives (0.35 off), and 0.25-0.75 or more off Meijer green beans, Meijer butter quarters, Kraft Miracle Whip, Kraft mac & cheese; Maybelline mascara, Suave shampoo or conditioner, Enfamil liquid supplements (???? not me; maybe my mom??? 3.75 off); dental floss, Hudsonville ice cream (1.50 off), and 0.75 off a a brand of wet dog food I don't use. I got a good-sized Menards rebate when I bought my floor tile for my foyer back in Jan., and over the holidays, I bought my a lot of my baking supplies and nuts there. It certainly came in handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to Meijer in ages and had forgotten about getting those coupons. They do send out pretty darn good ones.
      Kind of neat and kind of scary. Neat that you get things you can use and scary that every place tracks everything we do!!!
      Need to get back there too. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
  4. I love kraut. My uncle used to make whole heads, not shredded or sliced, in to kraut. You could peel off a leaf and stuff,roll it like a wrap.I usually used ham salad as the stuffing. He passed away over ten years ago,and I keep thinking I should try to make it but still haven't tried! I've never seen kraut like that to buy. Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of doing that. That is quite interesting and sure would make great roll-ups. What a novel idea.

      Delete
  5. I have just popped by to say Hello Hippy Chick.Still loving your blogs and get loads of useful tips from you.Wishing you all the best!!,Love from the Hippy Chick in Leicester,UK.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was thinking about you the other day and wondering how you were!
      Glad you popped in and keep on checking in with me.
      Enjoy your week!

      Delete
  6. You did very well this week. Good save on making your own straps for the greenhouse.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I haven't bought any groceries for a while and basically just got deals this week. Staying home sure does save money!
      Blessings

      Delete
  7. I’m impressed that you still had a home grown tomato. The first and last ones are always the most delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I held on as long as possible - but it sure did taste good.

      Delete
  8. Wow you made those tomatoes last my friend. I wish I had a green house. We have room for one and could easily attach one to the side of our shed. Thoughts....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had picked the tomatoes at the end of season green - and this was the last I wrapped in the basement.
      It was tasty. Can't wait for fresh!

      Delete
  9. I'm really impressed by the last tomato! I tried that one year when we lived out at Lizton and had a pretty good size garden. Wasn't quite as successful as you have been. We shop at Meijer mostly as it is close (3 miles down the road) and they have a good produce section. Nothing is private any more. I looked at something on Amazon and now it is showing up as ads on the blogs I read. Found a really good book resale site and those ads are showing up as well, even on Instagram.

    The lettuce that the Urban Farmer planted in his garage garden is almost ready to cut. We wish now that we had electricity run to our greenhouse when we put it up. It gets almost too cold out there to plant anything in winter.

    Excellent Scripture choice today! The Urban Farmer and I finished a 17 episode study on Revelation. Scrolling through YouTube we found a group of Indiana boys called the Redeemed Quartet. It's good see hear young people sing decent music, not screeching and swearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No NOTHING is private. Look at anything and start seeing ads. I have even thought about things and then they show up in ads (that is scary).
      Meijer does have nice selections - just a bit of a drive for me.
      Yay, on the lettuce - that will be yummy!
      Have a wonderful and blessed week.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for being here to brighten my day. Been in a crabby mood for a few days...but it will pass. I am 73, so it's not hormonal. ha-ha. Frustrated that we cannot get vaccines (DH is 77). Appointments fill up in 20 minutes for our county and the 2 closest.

    I love reading all the comments and usually learn a tip or two!

    Sorry for the rant...have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get one soon! Maybe with that new vaccine their will be more available soon.

      Delete
  11. What a deal for on the pickles..We go through a lot here. Our granddaughter eats them like candy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to hear your weather is improving. It is starting to get a little warmer here too though nowhere near 50F. I'll take what I can get. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - beggars can't be choosers!!! Today is much cooler, breezy and the sun is shining. That is OK. One day soon!!!!!

      Delete
  13. Wow!!!!! I am all tired out, just reading your post! -smile-

    🌸 🌷 🌺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - all just simple little things. Nothing major here!

      Delete