Thursday, March 18, 2021

Tins and Trays - So Many Uses

 We all have ice cube trays and muffin tins - you know they aren't just for ice cubes and muffins right??
I have extra ice cube trays that I use for a variety of things.  Muffin pans can be recycled into all kinds of storage and used to make all kinds of goodies!

ICE CUBE TRAYS
  • Freeze leftover coffee - great for cooling that super hot cup of Joe or to add to ice coffee.  I have frozen strong coffee in cubes - to use in chocolate recipes (it really enhances the chocolate taste)
  • Freeze leftover wine - good to use in a glass of wine and doesn't water it down
  • I make mint and lemon balm simple syrups and freeze in cubes.  Great addition to a glass of tea
  • Pizza sauce, tomato sauce/paste, etc.  Great to pop a cube into something you are cooking for just a little tomato taste
  • Freeze fresh herbs/edible flowers in trays with water.  Fun addition to any dish you are making
  • This s a fun thing to do with fruit - like berries as well - super neat addition to a drink
  • Freeze OJ or lemon-aide to add to drinks
  • You can freeze cubes of stock or broth to add to future meals.  Even gravy - great way to thicken up a soup or stew
  • Kool-Aid frozen in cubes are fun for the kids (and adults) for a fun & cool treat
  • Freeze tea in cubes.  Use in your iced tea and it doesn't get diluted.
  • You can freeze bits of leftovers to add to soup or to make baby food
Each regular size cube is approximately 2 Tbsp.  I freeze my items - then pop them out and place into marked zip lock baggies for future use.  You can freeze just about anything  this way.  No waste of bits and pieces and dribs and drabs.
**Trays can also be used for earring holders in drawers or for anything that is small and easily misplaced!

MUFFIN TINS
Not just for muffins and cupcakes any more!
I love to freeze things in them and I bake other yummies in them as well.
  • Freeze leftover mashed potatoes in tins - perfect for thawing and having another serving later
  • Freeze any kind of veggie that is left (perfect serving size) or throw into a pot of soup
  • I freeze leftover stuffing - it is the perfect size for a side to a meal
  • Bake mini meatloaves - these are perfect serving sizes and easy to freeze for later.  They are also fun to slice in half and make a meatloaf sandwich!
  • Quiche is perfect for muffin tins - bake up several servings for later
       Corndog muffins.  Corn bread mix in muffin tin - add chuck of hotdog and bake.  YUM
    Pizza cups - use crescent rolls, pizza dough, biscuits, etc. and add toppings and bake

                                                          Dinner bites - mini pot pies.
  • Use to make larger ice cubes or frozen juice for punch bowls or pitchers of drink
  • Bake cookies in muffin tins - for perfectly round and uniform size cookies!
  • Old tins are great for holding finger paints for the kids - each spot a different color paint
  • Great for storing craft supplies or odds and ends on the work bench
  • You could also freeze soup in regular size tins - then when ready for a cup of soup, you can decide just how much you want!
  • Use for condiment trays at buffets
  • Use older trays for soap making or making 'new' crayons for the kids from old broken ones
  • Great for making suet for birds
My goodness there is just no end to uses.  You can often find inexpensive trays and tins at dollar stores and discount stores to use for all the 'odd' things!  Look at thrift stores and yard sales - that is where I get most extras that I use.
I store my extra downstairs on top of the freezer - so I always know where to find them.

I love using things in new ways.  Making perfectly portioned leftovers for another meal and having flavored cubes on hand is always nice.  Great storage for odd sized items.
Get creative and think outside the box!


18 comments:

  1. Great ideas!! For cooking or freezing serving sized amounts and all the frozen drink additions you mentioned. I love the ones about mashed taters and dressing and the corn bread around a bite of hot dog. You surely can pick them up for cheap at thrift stores. I still have a muffin tin I bought at a yard sale over 35 years ago! Goin' strong ;).
    Btw, I made your Tot-chos today and they were a hit! Actually, we had diced potatoes in the freezer, but they worked just fine :)
    Take good care~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. So many things we can do that save a little, that are just a little different.
      YAY - glad you all like them. I think they were yummy. So many possibilities!

      Delete
  2. Lots of great ideas. I may have to pick up more ice cube trays and muffin tins to give some of these a try.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used muffin tins and buttons to help teach my young grandkids how to sort colors, sizes and shapes. I bought vintage buttons at the time so always had new ones to look at and sort through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a lovely idea. I bet you could use them in many learning situations.
      THANKS!

      Delete
  4. I freeze tomato paste like this and then just use a cube when I need it. Such good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super good idea. A little paste goes a ways. No waste

      Delete
  5. I am going to use Stove Top Stuffing to make these for us. We like different ways, so I can make them to suit our tastes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you go. Great idea. Make them the way you want, freeze and bag up and label and you are ready for dinner!

      Delete
  6. All great tips. Every summer I make a huge batch of Pesto and freeze in ice cube trays. Once frozen I transfer to a freezer bag. I also use egg roll wrappers in muffin tins. Just oil the sides a little, place a wrapper in one of the cups, bake for about 3-4 minutes until crispy and then add chili and cheese and bake for another 3-4 minutes. So good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool on the Pesto! I have been wanting to try that with egg roll wrappers -my goodness you could fill with anything. May do that this next week. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
  7. Love that you think outside the box, or container as it were! Using muffin tins to make individual size servings is perfect for those of us who certainly don't need to eat a huge amount of anything. The possibilities are endless.

    The sun is shining...woohoo! Supposed to be collllddd tonight. Have to cover what we have planted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - it is just my way of not wasting.
      I covered daffodils last night and will again tonight. They are covered in buds - and I don't want a repeat of last year with stuff freezing before blooming.

      Delete
    2. Just had to tell you that we were headed to Menard's and I happened to see a billboard that said the Rural King in Avon was open. It is a super nice store. The Urban Farmer spotted a galvanized fire pit ring. We decided it would make a nice bed for planting. In the past we have made raised beds but lumber has gotten so expensive and it certainly doesn't last, even the better quality stuff. Blueberries will go in it and I will design a PVC framed cover to keep the squirrels and birds out until we are ready to harvest. It was a fun outing!

      Delete
    3. Glad you now have one closer to you. I saw the add for it and all the specials they were having. Some great deals. I don't go often - but I do enjoy my visits when there. So much to choose from.
      Good idea on using the fire ring for a plant box!

      Delete
  8. I need to start freezing my leftover coffee into cubes for summertime iced coffee. Thanks for the reminder!!!!

    ReplyDelete