Tuesday, May 24, 2022

A Little Tour - My Town

 It is the time of the year that the city I live in, is in the news a lot.  I am sure everyone has heard of the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race.  It is a huge deal, worldwide.  Yep, basically that is my city.
The month of May is a big deal around here.
I know we have folks from all over the country and from several different countries - but I imagine most have heard of the 500 mile race.
We have a lot of other neat things to see in the city.  I know people that live here, take things for granted.  I think it is how most cities are.  We don't always appreciate what we have.

This is my state - Indiana.  If you notice the green square directly in the middle of the state - that is the county I live in.  Many people call this the mid-west, as it really used to be.  When things were still all east of the Mississippi River - well I guess we were kind of west!  
This is the absolute center to our city.  The Soldier and Sailor's Monument.  Kind of the first round-about ever in our city!!!  Way back in the day this area was an Indian settlement.  Then the first Govenor's home was built there.  The cities first lady at the time - refused to move in, as she said there was no way she would hang her dainties out on the clothesline for all the public to see!!! LOL
This is about 15-20 minutes from my house.

The track is actually in the burg of Speedway - but still considered Indianapolis.  We have a lot of suburbs around the area.
For someone who has never been to the track - this might show you how large it is.  Click on the picture to see all that is listed.   8 of the world's great places could fit inside the track!  It is huge.  I have gone to a couple of races back in my younger days and to the qualifications.  TONS of people.  No way would I want to do that again.


These pictures are of Garfield Park - the conservatory.  Looking at the bottom picture - if you go further to the right - there are beautiful lighted fountains that run all summer.  The park was formed in 1881 and is the city's oldest park.   It is 128 acres.  This is about 6 blocks from my home!!   I have so many pictures of the exotic flowers growing in the conservatory.  Every Saturday during the summer, there is a farm market at the park.  There are many free concerts during the summer, and there is a swimming pool and even a small art facility.  It is a very lovely area.  My local library sits in the outer edges of the park as well.  This is a go to area for me.

There is the world class Children's Museum.  Dinosaurs breaking out of the building and others are trying to get in!!!  The museum is massive and it is phenomenal!  It surely isn't just for children.  About 25 minutes from my house.
There is the Eiteljorg Museum.  It is a showcase for American Indiana and Western art.  This place is really something to see.  This is about 15-20 minute drive from my home.
Directly west of the museum is the zoo!  It is really a neat place to go.  It has changed a lot - I need to go again.  The last time I went was about 10 years ago with my gr.gr. niece and nephew.  Nature abounds.  Such a fun place.  15-20 minute drive.

In this same area is the fieldhouse, which is used for Colt's football games and concerts of all sort.  There is also the baseball park.  All of this is right together at a central location.  Along with tons of hotels, restaurants and bars.

There is much in this city to see and do.  We have so many world class facilities.
Directly north of me is what is called Fountain Square.  That area was a shopping hub when I was a kid - the it really fell to the wayside and fissiled out of fashion.  Now it is really coming back to a popular place to be.  Many restaurants, antiques, art, bars, events, etc.  That whole area has really become developed again.  The HGTV show Good Bones, actually got it's start in this area.  They started renovating the houses of the area - and now the homes are almost unaffordable for the average person.  (would be nice if that moved south into my area)!!
It has been good for that area.

There is a lot around me and just a small glimpse into what my city has to offer.  You can get an idea of  where I live.  It is a major city - although I live outside the heart of the city.
I just enjoy my little world with my babies out back!
Hope you enjoyed your mini tour!





41 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tour, it looks like a great place to live. The monument is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It has plenty of amenities - although not the greatest crime rate! Guess you can't have it all.

      Delete
  2. Another thing we have noticed is the abundance of large trees, which helps with purifying the air. We are not big city people but live in a nice suburb close to the amenities that we need. I'm with you regarding going to the track. Too many people! We can hear the cars from our house which is on the west side of the interstate. My daughter lives at Rockville Road and Gasoline Alley so she really can hear them. Fountain Square is making a comeback. Lockerbie Square and Fletcher Place are also being dandied up.
    We saw a video on YouTube about a fellow who bought Lafayette Square and is refurbishing it. That used to be the place to shop. Eastgate used to be a big deal but no longer. We still miss Roslyn Bakery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here - lot of nice mature trees. Especially with the park close by. I love watching the fly over on race day - it goes right over my house. I wouldn't want all that noise. Although on a clear day I can hear the car at Kitley!
      I used to drive Lockerbie all the time and WISH! I love that area.
      I worked at Eastgate part time right when I met G. 2nd job. It is a shame all those places went away. Hopefully Laf. Sq. will live again!

      Delete
  3. Hello my fellow Hoosier. I live north of you in the NW part of the state but two of my grown sons live down your way. I love going visit them and sightseeing. We will be heading that way this summer most likely in August to do it again. My area is surrounded by corn fields and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne - I think we have a few Hoosiers here. I would love to be surrounded by corn fields! Hope you find all kinds of fun things to do while visiting. It will be here before you know it!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the tour! A very dear old friend of ours lives in your city! I didn't know that you were in Indianapolis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Born and raised here. I have only left state for 1 year and lived in TN then. (I have vacationed out of state - I meant to live) Otherwise, pretty darn close to the same area my whole life!

      Delete
  5. Wow, that is so neat that there are so many attractions there. I think that would be a great place to visit with kids. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. There are so many more things to do. Kids can have a blast here.

      Delete
  6. Another Hoosier, tho I moved to Wisconsin over 20 years ago. I'm in Indy right now, at my sister's house. Home to me will always be Bloomington.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoosier hysteria! Welcome back for a while. I have family that lives in Bloomfield - not far from Bloomington. Nice area.

      Delete
  7. Very nice tour! I'd stay away from the raceway too but the zoo. Along with the park near your home would both be highlights for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The park is fantastic - so much wildlife and nature. It is one of my favorite places. Thanks

      Delete
  8. Debby in Kansas USAMay 24, 2022 at 4:45 PM

    I had no idea the speedway was that big! In fact, I don't think I ever considered it's size! It's enormous!!! I could only relate the Rose Bowl, but that stadium is just a toilet bowl in comparison!! Size, I mean. The Rose Bowl was my fave place in Southern Cali to see a football game. Nice place and I went to a lot of great UCLA tailgates there!

    Thanks for the tour! I've never been east of the Mississippi, to speak of. Going from Minneapolis to St. Paul felt like going north! My wait...we must've crossed it when we went to River Falls, WI. I don't remember!! I only remember crossing the St. Croix. Now I have to go look!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby in Kansas USAMay 24, 2022 at 4:54 PM

      Boy, was I all turned around!! We did go east to both St. Paul and WI. That part of the Mississippi is pretty narrow compared to the pics I've seen. The St. Croix looked much bigger. That's probably why I remembered that one.
      Alright, I've bored you all enough with my bad memory!!

      Delete
    2. The track is enormous! There is a museum there and a golf course and parking and garages - you name it.
      I have only been west of the Mississippi once - flew to Vegas. That was neat flying over the Grand Canyon. It was right at sunset - so it was gorgeous!

      Delete
    3. This is a big old country - easy to get turned around!!!!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for the tour around your city. You sure do have some interesting attractions close to your home. My eldest grandson has said several times he would like to watch the Indy 500, but it's a long trip from the UK. He is 19 and a car freak. His Dad has taken him to France to watch the Le Mans 24 hour race twice, but that's just a 'hop' across the channel. Was showing the picture of the racetrack to my husband, it looks massive. I can understand why you would not want to go now with all the crowds. Did the large attractions suffer financially during the Covid pandemic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many who do come to the 500 mile race from all over the world! Maybe some day he will get here!
      The track is huge. The crowds are just massive!!
      I am sure the attractions did suffer some. They were very limited on hours and of course restrictions. The race had no in person viewing in 2020. Limited last year. That was a first ever - they did televise - which was also a first for my area. We have never been able to see it as it happens on TV.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the tour. I’d love to see it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for the tour of your city.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Indianapolis is a lovely place! The first time I spent any time in Indy was at the drag strip west of town for a Pinks All Out race, probably 2009ish??? We were quickly shuttled under the grandstands, as a tornado passed overhead. And then it poured buckets and there was about 3" of standing water in the parking lot. We were soaked by the time we got back to the race trailer. They called the race and they held the finals the next morning. Let's just say the hotel was "interesting." We hadn't planned on staying overnight and didn't have reservations. Accommodations were slim to none, as there was also a big motorcycle event in town that weekend.

    I was in Indy a couple of weeks ago and was reminded what a great town it really is. I stayed in Carmel to attend a wedding reception in Zionsville and on Sunday went down to the fairgrounds to watch my grand niece in a volleyball tournament (her team won 1st place). Although I know it's a major metropolitan area, it still seems to hold its small town charm -- or at least to me. Thanks for sharing with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to go to the drags someday. That is one I have never experienced. I do like them.
      We can for sure get some weather in a hurry! LOL
      Carmel and Zionsville are nice - but I stay away from there. Don't like the drive to get there. Too expensive too, in my opinion.
      It is a pretty cool place to live.

      Delete
    2. Ha! I stayed at the HI Express and was only there because of the proximity to the reception venue (at Alchemy), and other hotel options were either booked or more expensive. Somewhere along the way, I lost my glasses case with my prescription sunglasses and spare regular glasses, so it quickly became a costly weekend.

      Delete
    3. Oh man, that is a big loss. You could make a commercial - "I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express"!!!!

      Delete
  13. What a neat city! Thanks for the birdseye view.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. Well come on and visit. We would love to have you!

      Delete
  15. I was unsuccessful commenting last night for some reason. One of my sons lives in Indianapolis and another in Fishers! (one in St. Paul MN as well.) Love your beautiful town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well how cool is that? Our world is so much smaller than any of us imagine!

      Delete
  16. Thank you for the tour, Cheryl. I have some relatives there that we visited while living in Ohio. And a 2nd cousin's wedding there at that time, too. Lovely city. --Elise

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a Hoosier too and enjoy all your comments. We live about 35 miles from Chicago just a few miles from Lake Michigan & the parks here. But 2 of our children live in Indy and 4 grandchildren. One is going to IUPUI. I haven't done any of the races, but my husband and kids have. Garfield Park is very nice and have been there several times. The zoo & museums are good, but if you want to go look into their annual family membership. Most of the time they are a better deal especially with children and you can go many times. Same with the ones in Chicago. If you could pinpoint the Amish market you went to, I think I'd like to drive down that way too. Thanks for all you do to help others live a frugal life. Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, Hello to another fellow Hoosier. I went to IUPUI back in the day as well! You are really north - I have never been to that area. Many family members with children have memberships at both!
      Garfield Park is my neighborhood!! The Amish market is down on 67 right before Worthington, IN. That would be a long drive for you!
      Thank you for your kind comments!

      Delete
  18. Amazing how much you have so close! And, you're so right about taking all that for granted when you live near-by. We lived in San Diego and after a while, you just stay close to home ;)
    Cute story about the First Lady not wanting to hang out her dainties :)
    I love that they're using the older buildings there...recycling them.
    Mary in OK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing - and I stay most often!
      I wish they would keep more older buildings. So many wonderful places have been demolished for 'progress'. It is a real shame.

      Delete
  19. This post made me smile. I work for Firestone.

    ReplyDelete