Sunday, July 19, 2026

Weekly Wrap Up 7/19

 Hello to all this Sunday.  It is hard to believe we are over halfway through the month of July.  I hope you are all safe and healthy.
It feels lovely out this morning.  The temp is around 70* and the humidity has dropped dramatically overnight.  Now it stinks like crazy!!  Outside smells like a ginormous campfire and it is so smokey/hazy out (from the northern fires).  We are in the unhealthy range here in the city.  It is supposed to last another day.  I know you gals all over are having it much worse.  By Wednesday we are going to have highs right at 80* - that will feel so good, compared to the temps we have been having.

It was an emotional week for sure.  I thank you all for your kind words and your prayers - they were all felt.  Now it is time to get back to life.  Between the extreme temps and the sadness, I just have left a lot go.  It seems like life was put on hold - so it is time to get back to normal.

My frugal week:
  • Cut my hair
  • Not frugal - but went to florist.  Then on to grocery to check things out.  Got the great deal on tenderloins and mushrooms I mentioned Thursday
  • I picked a lot of banana peppers, cherry toms and my first cucumber (so good)
  • I 'pickled' several peppers in a jar of jalapeno brine - no processing used.  They stay fresh and crisp and last forever that way (I cut into rings)
  • I got out and cleaned up the front flower bed of weeds
  • Discovered a dress I forgot about when deciding what to wear to funeral.  It has only been worn once, and I forgot all about it.  I wore it - and got a lot of compliments on it
  • Repaired the hummingbird feeder with new feeding flowers I got last time I was at the feed store.  They were tough to get in, but now it will last many more years
  • Mowed and trimmed my little front yard - and boom!  I was done.  Oh, it was so stinking hot, and I was drenched just doing that
  • Cleaned out the crispers and washed them down - then scrubbed the kitchen floor
Meals this past week:
Tuna/egg salad sandwich and fruit
Tenderloin and salad
Pork/cheese stuffed mushrooms
l/o mushrooms and air fried potatoes
Church dinner after funeral
Chicken, corn casserole and cheesy potatoes (sent home from church)
Chopped steak w/sauteed onions & peppers, steamed broccoli, tom/cuke/onion salad

I did manage to accomplish some things, just didn't have the mindset to do a lot.  I already have a list for outside work, for when the temps drop!
I got to see a ton of family I haven't seen in many years (live out of state) and some that I have never met.  Sis's family has been scattered all over the country for years.  I was a nice time of laughter, stories and love with tears thrown in.  I am sure she was smiling down!

How has your week been?  How are the gardens doing?  Any good deals on anything?
I love hearing from you all.  We heard from some this week, that we haven't heard from in a while.  Still some MIA - wish our missing would check in.  We care.

I hope you all have a great week ahead and stay healthy and happy and safe.
Blessings to you and yours from me at my humble little home.
***************************** 

Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself.  Let the days own trouble be sufficient for the day.  Judge not, that you be not judged.
Matthew 6:34, 7:1

Dear Lord, we thank You for all the blessings we received this week.  Help us to understand that our time is not always Your time, and that You have us each in your loving hands.  Protect and assure those having health and/or family issues that You are there every step.  May they see that and give themselves grace in all that they do.  Help us all be kind to others and bite our tongues of nastiness and harsh words.  May our words be loving and heal.  AMEN

20 comments:

  1. An emotional week of heartbreak. Be kind and gentle with yourself. Selfcare is not slacking. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I have really taken it easy the past couple days. Just resting and being kind to myself.
      Have a lovely week.

      Delete
  2. The temperature sounds lovely, the smoke from the fires definitely not. I've read multiple accounts from other bloggers about the smoke in their areas this week too, sadly. I too was a hot mess after week eating some this week.

    You've had such an emotional week, it's understandable that your mindset was different than usual. Take good care of yourself. Sending you good thoughts of peace and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The temps will get even better by the middles of the week. Supposed to get hot for next couple days, although this morning was lovely. I feel with those really dealing with a lot of smoke - this is nothing compared to them.
      I am trying. I just kind of hung out and rested this weekend.
      Thank you.
      Have a super week.

      Delete
  3. With nicer weather coming to your area, Cheryl, you will stay busy and I think that will help your emotions settle down. At least that is the way for me.

    After months of drought, we are getting tremendous rains. Thursday night we had torrential downpours and there was 5” in the rain gauge the next day. It has rained off and on since then and we have a tropical disturbance or depression just offshore in the Gulf of Mexico. Nothing dangerous but good to stay home until Tuesday. I have a friend who lives in Thunder Bay, Ont., the epicenter of the Canadian fires and smoke, and I know the smoke is dangerous as well as uncomfortable. I hope all those affected stay indoors as much as possible. Weather is crazy this summer everywhere.

    For frugal things, I found out I can get Hulu free for a year through my credit card. I activated it yesterday and will sign up today.

    I paid my credit card in full for my Scotland hotels and a few other things, $4,100. The crazy and shocking thing is that the minimum payment was $41, so 1% of the total. No wonder why some people get in trouble with credit cards. Barbara M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right - getting out and moving will help a lot.
      I am so glad you are getting rain, but dang that is a lot at one time. I sure hope the rains help end the drought season.
      Oh those poor people right close to the fires - that has to be awful. They need that rain as well, to help end the fires.
      How cool on the free HULU
      Nice to be back, get to normal, and have the trip all paid for. That wasn't too bad, for all the wonderful memories you have forever!
      Isn't that something - and many, many do pay just minimum payments. One would never get something paid off that way and think how much it would end up costing. Smart chicky!
      Have a special week.

      Delete
    2. That $4,100 does not include the airfare (paid several months ago) or $721 on food/transportation/attractions charged on a separate cc (also already paid). Plus I got 1 1/2% back in cc rewards on most everything. Still not bad for 3 weeks. If someone paid the cc minimum it would take them a decade or more to pay it off.

      Delete
    3. yep, it still sounds like a decent deal for 3 weeks of lovely times. Great on rewards too!

      Delete
  4. Excellent devotional! We are not to worry, our Father has our back!

    It is good to connect with family, although many times it is like your situation this past week, a funeral. The family honored your sister by gathering and sharing stories.

    This morning isn't too bad and I need to go out to tackle weeds before it is unbearable. I bet you were soaked after mowing. We skin out of our clothes, hang them on the line instead of putting wet garments in the hamper.

    Be kind to yourself...grieving is a process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes our Father is good indeed.
      It was good to reconnect, and we all told some great stories. Sis's youngest daughter gave a great eulogy, not sure how she got through it, but she did. It had everyone chuckling a bit, even the preacher (some stories were about him). She was honored by many.
      It is so nice this morning, weatherwise. It will get hot again today and the next couple - then relief!!!!!
      Thanks.
      Have a beautiful week.

      Delete
  5. So happy to read that everything went well at the funeral, Cheryl. Nobody had a meltdown or a hissyfit - always a risk with funeral tension and sadness.

    Sympathy for those in the smoke. We've had smoke here in other years and it is not only nasty and unhealthy, but it make my heart race - "fire fire fire!". Even if I know it is Far Away.

    Yesterday was a wonderful hymn singing in an outdoor pavilion, and this year they had installed a great huge ceiling fan - it made all the difference. I didn't feel faint from heat by the end of the afternoon!

    MaryB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No all went well and everyone got along and hugged and said their "I love you" and told stories. It sure would have made sis happy.
      Smoke is nasty stuff - but those up north - oh my heart is so sad for them.
      What a grand idea to install the fan! I bet that did help. Glad you had such a nice time.
      Have a lovely week.

      Delete
  6. I've no doubt that you will be working through your sister's death, funeral as you go about your week. All good. Sometimes in grief, it's helpful to do what you would do anyway. It was an unsettled night as a storm blew through after a few days of 30+C temps. Tree branches are down in the driveway. I've spent a lot of time the past few days trying to keep cool under the fans. There were impromptu drop-in visits with neighbors, a coffee visit with my young cousin, a bbq & cards with friends. The ramp at the back door was cleaned with the pressure washer. For the first time in 25 yrs, swallows have built "condominiums" in the peak of the roof on both sides of the house. What a mess! I'll have to wait for the roofers to come to remove them. The tractor lawn mower is still not repaired so I've been cutting with the push mower; it's time again. Only 20mm of rain this past week. In the kitchen: brisket sandwiches; bbq elk burgers w/ potato salad; pasta salad; naan pizza with l/o sauteed mushrooms, onions, chicken topped w/ feta cheese. Take care, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree - I think getting out and working and being physical will help a lot.
      I hate those storms that leave damage behind. Hope it wasn't anything too bad for you. Power washing is on my list too - it sure makes things look different. Oh goodness, on the birds!
      If used to a tractor, pushing is a lot of work. Take care to not overdo it.
      Your meals sound great. Glad you got to have such a lively week with others.
      Have a great week.

      Delete
  7. I am glad you got to see family from all over the country although my deepest condolences on the sad occasion. It is still miserably hot here. I assume it will be that way until at least late September but I hope I am wrong. Take it easy on yourself as you deal with your loss. Virtual hugs. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy - it was nice to see them all. I feel the hugs.
      Heat is miserable isn't it? Especially when coupled with humidity.
      Have a lovely week.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I do hope these fires are out soon, and folks can get fresh air again. I hope that your coming week is pleasant and productive. Hugs, Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so as well Laura. They are just awful.
      Thank you and you have a special week.

      Delete
  9. A week of emotion usually causes me to do a bit less. As I have been told numerous times, things will be there to finish next week.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There was a wildfire near us last year and the constant smell and taste of smoke was horrible. I hope things are soon back to normal for everyone in the affected area. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete