Sunday, August 30, 2015

Frugal Happenings 8/30

Hello there to everyone.  Hope you have all had a good week.
Can you believe that August is virtually over?  This summer has just flown by.  The holidays will be here before we know it.

Has anyone done anything extra frugal this week?  I pretty much do all the same things each and every week, which to some may seem weird, but my lifestyle is just normal to me.  Frugal is just a state of mind and a way of life.

  • I did thoroughly clean out the frig and the frig's freezer.  I found several items in the freezer that I had forgotten about
  • Not necessarily frugal - but I gave the stove a tremendously good cleaning.  Getting ready for the fall and winter
  • I did a major stock up at Aldi this week.  Used a $5 off coupon for entire purchase, and probably spent half of what I would have at another store
  • I made an apple/zucchini crisp.  I only had 2 apples, so I added sliced zucchini to the mix.  It was so yummy.  Couldn't tell the difference between the apples and the zucchini
  • Cut G's and my hair
  • Colored my hair with supplies from home
  • Cleaned out and re-organized the pantry.  Things are much easier to find and use.
  • Still doing some garden picking and still picking grapes.
  • No AC for 5 1/2 days!  The heat is back, so it looks like AC will be in use for at least the next week.
  • I bought gas for the Blazer this week at a good price.  First gas purchase in 7 weeks
  • Still using gasoline I bought last fall for mowing.  I will have enough to finish up this year
I sure did love the fall temperatures we had most of the week.  It made for some good sleeping weather.  It could have stayed that way till Spring as far as I am concerned!

I have heard from some sources that this winter is going to be bad, when others say not so much.  I have always heard that white wooly worms are a sign of a mild winter - well I have seen a ton of them around here.  Here's hoping!!
We have tons of spiders and spider webs every where - does that mean something? (other than we have tons of spiders.) Haha

Well kiddos, I hope you all have a wonderful and blessed week.
Let us know what you are up to.

4 comments:

  1. I really like how you use zucchini in so many things. While we were gone on vacation we did not get much rain and so I fear my volunteer zucchini plant which was blossoming is now gone, sad face! I will remember for next summer though, all the ways you have mentioned to use this versatile vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cool thing about zucchini, is that it takes on he taste of whatever you put it with. Really it by itself is rather tasteless.

      Delete
    2. So true, and I am glad to hear you say it, I always felt so bad that I didn't really like the taste of zucchini by itself.

      Delete
  2. The Good Man rescued our refrigerator from the goldie moldies and I was able to leave on vacation and return to a cleaner kitchen. He has the strength to get rid of things that I don’t have.

    We have an Aldi’s trip planned for today, I need to get the list to him before he leaves!
    I taught my daughter how to do a layered hair cut. She was so pleased, she will likely never use a hairdresser again. We learned it from you tube.

    Still picking tomatoes and grieving over the loss of our zucchini and golden tomatoes that ripened while we were on vacation and then dropped off and split on the ground, ah well.
    Will be putting our A/C up for sale on Craig’s List. And have other items from parents house to do the same.

    Gas points to be used by this Saturday! Used a gift card for the two weekend trips we made. And used my BioLife debit card for restaurants and groceries this week.
    Spiders are a gardener’s friend and a housekeeper’s bonus. They eat all kinds of insect and insect eggs.

    The Farmer’s Almanac says (http://farmersalmanac.com/weather-outlook/2016-winter-forecast/): [T]he winter of 2015–2016 is looking like a repeat of last winter, at least in terms of temperatures with unseasonably cold conditions over the Atlantic Seaboard, eastern portions of the Great Lakes, and the lower peninsula of Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, most of the Tennessee and Mississippi Valley, as well as much of the Gulf Coast. New Englanders will once again experience a very frigid (shivery) winter (Déjà vu).

    ReplyDelete