I hope you are all well and doing good. We are great and have had an especially quiet week on the home front.
The weather has been all over the place this week. We went from frigid temps to almost 70*. We had rain, 50 mph wind, hail, thunder storms, ice and light snow, all in the past 7 days. It sure has been a roller coaster!! Temps this coming week are to go back up to the 40's and 50's with rain. Our winter sure has been mild to say the least.
I know many of you have had to deal with unusual weather events this week as well - some not being as lucky as we were!
I sure have been enjoying watching the squirrels and birds. This morning there were 14 squirrels in the backyard at one time. I walk out to the back walk and about half of them come running up to me, looking for a treat! They are just too cute.
We had a ROBIN at the bird bath this week!!!! What a shock to see - as they stay gone all winter around here. I am not sure if the poor baby was lost, or if it knows something we don't about Spring!
My uneventful frugal week:
- Got a .20/gallon discount on gas
- Bought 2 gallons of milk for a total of $3.18 (1.59/gal)
- Got an email from the orchard about their pre-season closing. B1G1 offer on apples - no matter what size you buy - 5 lb., 10lb., bushel, etc. I don't need to can any more this year - but I did go buy 2 - 10 lb. bags for eating. Price $14.75 for 20 lbs. of apples!
- Been snacking on fruit and cheese/beef sticks/crackers that we have
- Made an apple/peach crisp - YUM
- Made a big pot of vegetable beef soup
- Watching shows and documentaries on Netflix and You Tube
- Doing all the normal stuff - making tea, filtering water, fixing meals from scratch with what we have, air drying laundry, etc.
- Eating all leftovers for either lunch or breakfast (we aren't real picky)
- Stayed home a lot - which saves money!!!! NO TEMPTATIONS!
Homemade individual flat bread chicken pizzas with all kinds of extra goodies on top
Kraut (leftover from Rueban day) with hotdogs and mashed potatoes
Homemade vegetable beef soup with bread/butter (2X)
Home fried fish sandwiches and baked beans
Homemade red beans/rice, chicken strips and biscuits
Leftover biscuits with sausage gravy and scrambled eggs
So far this month I have spent ONLY $17.93 on groceries! I think I am doing pretty darn good on my no spend month! (Sure beats spending $40-50 per week). How have you been doing on your grocery budget for the month?
How has your week been? Were you prepared for the nasty weather that many of you got? I hope no one had to do the "milk/bread" fight at the groceries this past week!
Isn't it crazy how panicky people get? It's like they think they will be trapped for weeks on end! No matter how much they bought this past week - they would do it again this week if the weatherman gave the same predictions!!!!
It is so nice being prepared for whatever comes our way. I LOVE THE PANTRY!!!!!
Had I not bought fresh milk on Monday - I would have just used my shelf stable milk from the pantry.
Check in and let us know what is going on! Love hearing from you all.
God bless and have a wonderful week ahead.