There has been a lot of very nasty winter weather going on it different parts of the country this week. There have been places that rarely see snow getting lots of it!
We started the week quite warm for January, then the temps went frigid. We only got a couple inches of snow earlier on the week - but the air was feeling quite brutal. We are currently up to 4* and will see the 20's today (that will be a first for a few days). It is supposed to get back into the 40's and 50's this coming week. We have had a relatively mild winter, and we are just getting closer to spring daily! I am not complaining at all!
How has your first week of January gone? Are you starting the year by staying frugal?
Here's a look at my week:
- Changed the furnace filter on the 1st with one I had here
- Marked up and put up my new calendar that I got for a $1. (My free calendars are no more - the place I got them is now gone).
- Started a new notebook/journal for 2017. It was one I had on hand.
- G found a bunch of holiday movies on You Tube that we did not see on TV this year - so we watched those at the first of the week.
- G also found a series that he is now enjoying on Netflix - finally using it more. I found several documentaries that I have been watching and saving for future watching.
- I dehydrated 2 bunches of celery that needed to be used
- No groceries bought at all. No money spent.
- I ran to WM to pick up a new script for G on Jan.7 ($0 co-pay). This was the first time I left the property since 12/29. STAYING HOME SAVES MONEY!!!!!
- Replenished pantry from items stored in basement
- Been drinking lots of water and using the Soda Stream to make carbonated water for fruit juice drinks
- Put away (in the freezer) LOTS of chocolate that we received for future enjoyment
- Gave myself a great spa night at home. Had a lovely soak (used Epsom salts in water), gave myself a much needed foot treatment/pedi and a homemade facial. So relaxing.
- Used some potatoes that were getting older to make potato soup
- Used all leftovers in new ways
- Made leftover black eyed peas into my own version of Hoppin' John (it was great). Added cooked ground sausage, hot peppers, onion and salsa.
- Actually did some reading this week!
- Moved snow off drive once this week for a bit of cadio exercise
Corned beef, cabbage, black eyed peas on NY day
Rueban sandwiches with leftover corned beef and homemade sauerkraut (these were awesome)
Hoppin' John served over rice (balance of mix went in freezer to add to soup later on)
Double stuff tacos (2X)
Potato soup (2X)
Well, that has been my uneventful week! It is pretty quiet around here. I have also been enjoying feeding and watching the birds and squirrels in the back yard. My outdoor kitties come out and sun in the afternoons - but stay in the greenhouse (on their warming bed) a lot in this kind of weather.
The indoor kitties are just being cute lounging around the house. Pooty loves laying by the floor register - I guess ALL us older gals like to stay warm!
Please check in and let us know how your year is starting out. Stay healthy and frugal my friends.
God bless each of you.