Thursday, June 21, 2018

Faith and Prepping

This has been a topic I have seen a lot lately in various places.  Many people think there is no need to prep for whatever - IF you have a strong faith.
That is fine to believe that way - but I also believe that we have to help ourselves as well.
I have a strong faith in God and I know He always has me wrapped in His loving arms - but He also expects me to put forth some effort.

Think about it:
You have vehicle insurance - because something MAY happen (it also the law here)
You have health insurance - because something MAY happen
You save money - for emergencies and for the your future to take CARE of yourself
You have home insurance - because something MAY happen
You have life insurance - to HELP those left behind
You plan on your retirement accounts being there when the time comes - to HELP with finances
You invest to make your money grow for the FUTURE
You do preventative maintenance on things to keep them in good order - so they last longer
You take medications and/or herbs & supplements to IMPROVE our health
You diet/exercise to STAY healthy and fit
You work to earn a living

Why are these things all OK to do and still profess your faith, but prepping our pantries is not???
I don't get it.

In my humble opinion - I think God directs me to prepare for the future.  He directs me to prepare for my family.  He directs me in all that I do.
I do not feel that there is any conflict in my prepping and my faith.


I feel that we are guided to gain knowledge on gardening, preparing, making do, and sharing with one another.  We are each put into the lives of others for a reason.  We learn, we share, we love, we care, we pray, we play, we laugh, and we believe TOGETHER.  We are our own community!

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON FAITH AND PREPPING?

I thank you all for being a part of my life and community.  I learn from each of you and enjoy the feeling of belonging.
Have a great and blessed day.

21 comments:

  1. I've heard this argument many times. Of how you don't have faith or trust if you prepare. I disagree as I find scripture that talks about being prepared. It's referred to as being wise. There are a few in Proverbs and the story that popped into my head as I was reading this was Matthew 25. Where the ladies were going to meet the bridegroom. There was a delay and when it was time to meet many didn't have extra oil for their lamp and demanded that those who came prepared share. Those who weren't prepared missed out.

    I feel that there needs to be a balance. Preparedness can't become your idol and result in hoarding or selfishness. Within reason, you should be willing to share those in need.

    Recently we have seen several examples of families and communities going with basic needs because the items weren't available. I see putting a little bit back for a trying time as being a good steward of what you've been given.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMEN! I agree, hoarding is bad and will benefit no one in the end. We need to help and take care. I too, believe in being a good steward of what I have.
      We can prepare, help, share and have faith.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I believe that in Proverbs 31 a woman is wise to look after the ways of her household. And I believe that includes stocking our pantries to feed our families well. We can even share our excess with others, which he also commands us to do. I believe he intended for us to prep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it to be so as well.
      We must tend to out familial needs and those of community.
      Thank you.

      Delete
  3. I think of Joseph who saved during times of prosperity so he was able to help during the time of famine. I have been feeling the nudge to stock up more, and I think that if He is telling us something, we better listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMEN
      We all need to listen more. Life has a way of kicking us in the bum if we don't!

      Delete
  4. Cheryl when I see the word 'Prepping' I think of those people who have rooms of food and are waiting for the Apocolypse to happen. I dont see what we do, keeping a well stocked pantry, not only of food but of medicinal products, bathroom products and even craft items as prepping. I see it as common sense for the steward of the home to do.
    By having extra stored we can move through difficult times. I know this from personal experience. Here's to us all having a well stocked pantry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what many people believe prepping is. I use the term because we 'are preparing' for any type difficulty.
      No we probably aren't building bunkers and preparing for the Apocolypse - but we are preparing.
      I find it interesting how we all look at words differently.
      Have a great day!

      Delete
  5. Even the ant prepares for winter and I think we should be prepared for our own personal winters. I'm not worried about an apocolypse, but I do know that hard times can come at any time, without warning. No to hoarding, but yes to being prepared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preparing just makes sense. As you said - there are many seasons of life and we just never know.

      Delete
  6. I wonder if the ones who don't prep ... maybe they are taking the lilies of the field and sparrows too literally ... I believe we need to be prepared, to stay put or to flee, whichever the circumstances dictate...being flexible is key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good comparison! I am sure whatever would happen to our circumstances we would stay put. For us that makes sense.
      Flexibility is key - so true!

      Delete
  7. I think God wants us to do what we can and then trust Him for the rest. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was always taught as a child: "God helps those that help themselves." I never understood that until I got older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always heard that as well. As a matter of fact I have even said it. I do know He helps ALL who believe - but surely we need to take some responsibility for ourselves.

      Delete
  9. My faith, is why I prepare, or am a "prepper" for those who like to label. All of the comments above are incorporated in my stockpiles. I believe in being a good and faithful steward of all that God gives me - my money is being well invested, and I am not hiding it under a bushel, it will see me through when the tough times come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. You sound so much like myself. I will be ready for anything - including the Lord.
      Take care my friend.

      Delete
  10. I believe in always having a well stocked pantry, medicine cabinet, etc because you never know when you or someone you love, or even a complete stranger, may need help. Having been through extremely lean times, I see stocking up as an insurance policy to get us and help those around us get through life's ups and downs. We may not have a lot of money (who are we kidding, we live on a tight fixed income here) but we can still share and give generously because we do prepare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you. Yes our prepping and pantries are just another type of insurance. We think nothing of having insurance - so we should follow along with our pantries.
      Blessings

      Delete
  11. I agree with you. I believe God wants me to be prepared for anything so that I can help others that did not. If I cannot take care of myself and my family, how could I do God's work and help others when they need it most.

    ReplyDelete