We woke to a scorcher of a day. It was 80* when I got up and the humidity was about the same! You could cut it with a knife - I do believe. We are supposed to hit a record high today of close to 100* actual temp. UGH! It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the humidity. No cooler temps till mid week.
Making sure to keep plenty of water available for birds, squirrels and cats. The birds sure do enjoy their daily 'swims' or 'baths'. They line up on the handrail waiting their turns! Can't say that I blame them. Kitties spend most of the day under the deck in the shade.
They garden is growing like gang busters! I have a banana pepper about 2" long, little squash starting, tomatoes on vine, and the cabbage is starting to head. Cucumbers are blooming, so hopefully soon we will be picking fresh veggies!
Noticed this week that the lightening bugs are back. I just love seeing them - it reminds me of childhood.
We had a neighbor 2 doors down move this week. He was nice enough, but I sure won't miss his very foul mouth!
We also got a new neighbor next door, on the triple lot. We know him. He and G have been friends since they were kids. He's renting with his adult (autistic) son - and he is making a lot of positive little changes to the property! It will be nice to have someone I trust and who could help (if need be) in an emergency.
My frugal week:
- We had a lot of rain first part of week - so worked indoors a lot. I re-arranged a lot of the extended pantry down stairs. Cleaned and straightened
- Re-arranged and organized the upstairs pantry
- Came across my electric skillet in storage downstairs. I haven't used it in ages. I got it out and brought it upstairs. I forgot how much I do love cooking in that thing!
- Got the 'new' rain barrel raised up so as to be able to access spout with hose connector
- FOUND a small hand gun that had been "lost" for several years!! Oh my - we have looked every where and it was just very well hidden in the basement. G was a happy camper.
- Worked on my sewing/craft area and got a lot straightened - so much more to do.
- Cut G's and my hair and colored mine at home.
- Line dried laundry
- Patched and repaired 3 pairs on my old jeans
- Got lots of yard work done on Thursday - the best day of the week. It was cooler and no humidity or rain that day.
- First of week was wet, but cooler than predicted. I got have AC off for 3 days.
- I fixed our backdoor alarm. We both feel better about that, mainly in case G is alone - he will be for-warned if someone is entering that shouldn't be!
- Ran to Kroger Friday. I got grapes for .99/lb., 2 cantaloupe 2/$5 (they are huge), and milk for 1.69/gal. That is all I got this week.
- I forgot to mention last week - when I went to Office Depot, they had school notebooks for .25/each already. I got several for the kids holiday baskets.
Meals this past week:
Homemade 'sliders' (like White Castles) and fries. Sooooooooooooo good!
Shrimp poppers, spicy mac-n- cheese and garlic bread
Cube steak, leftover mac/cheese and salad
Homemade pizza (supreme-like)
Homemade sub sandwiches and chips (they were way better than Subway!)
Open face Sloppy Joes and salad
I did seem to get a lot accomplished this week - and for the most part, nothing cost a cent! I love weeks like that. It is always nice to get things organized and in order again.
It is truly amazing how quickly it gets messed up. Come home in a hurry to put things away - and poof there goes organization out the window!!!
The work never ends that is for sure.
How was your week? Did you get much accomplished this week? Did you stay frugal?
God bless each of you and get you through your most trying days. Hold tight to one another, love openly and deeply and help another.
Prayers for health and happiness in the coming week.
Blessings from our humble home to yours.