Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Summer Squash Part 3

Today I will give you recipes for a couple more family favorites for our summer squash.  I hope you all have been enjoying them and maybe get some recipes for your files.

SUMMER SQUASH SOUP
5 yellow or small zucchini squash (I use the larger ones for this dish - minus seeds)
2 green onions  (I use a small onion chopped)
2 Tbsp. butter
1 can chicken broth (or equivalent water/bouillon)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 C whipping cream

Sautee squash and onion in butter until tender.  Stir in broth and spices.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes.  Cool slightly.  Put in blender (or use immersion blender).  Return to pan and add cream.  Heat.

OK you know I try a recipe once the way it is written - then I PLAY!!!!  My favorite way to make is follow all up through adding broth and heating. I then remove a few drained spoonful's of squash (hubs doesn't like plain creamy soup).  I set those aside and blend up the rest.  I THEN use a small package of peppered gravy mix with 1 1/2 c of milk - blend and add to soup.  Add chunks of squash back in and heat.  It thickens and has so much flavor.
**Sometimes I add cooked chopped carrots or rice to the soup.  It is fixed different every time at our house!  LOL
Top with a dollop of sour cream when serving.  YUMMO!
We are having this tonight!

*You can remove or leave the skin - leaving it adds some color and it doesn't change the flavor.  Probably adds more vitamins!



MOCK APPLE PIE
1 C sugar
1/4 C brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
pinch of salt
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
4 C zucchini (peeled, de-seeded, and cut into apple slice looking pieces)
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
Cover your cut zucchini with water and boil 2 minutes.  Drain and let it cool.  Mix all ingredients together.  Gently ad the zucchini and mix.  Pour into an unbaked pie shell and top with Dutch Apple Topping (below).  Bake at 400 for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350 for 20-30 minutes until golden.

DUTCH APPLE TOPPING
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C butter
1/2 C chopped nuts
3/4 C flour
Mix together till crumbly.

This is so good and really does taste like apple pie.  My late FIL came by one day after I had made this, and I asked if he wanted pie - of course!  He loved it and had no idea it wasn't apple.  My brother was the same way - no idea.

*************************
Don't forget you can  dehydrate any squash for use in  the winter.  I keep track of how many racks in dehydrator each squash takes up - 1 rack, or 1 1/2 racks, etc.  I then package them - as 1  squash per bag.  That helps me decide how much to use in soups and such. 
I vacuum seal or make sure all air is out of the bags and then I put all the bags into a large glass jar.

You can also dehydrate and powder for use as flavoring in soups and stews. **(You can do that with just about any veggie or fruit).

*********************
Last night I tried something new as well.  I cooked squash in chicken broth and seasonings until very soft.  I then drained and MASHED the squash and added a bit of PARMESAN and SHREDDED CHEDDAR.
It was so good as a side.  After G's bowl was empty he asked for seconds - OOPS! 
I had used one yellow and one zucchini and it really cooked down.  Next time I will make more.
It was definitely a "do again" dish!
*********************

DONT'T FORGET about making zucchini bread and muffins as well!  Mmmmm chocolate zucchini bread is so rich and yummy.

HAVE A BALL EXPERIMENTING WITH YOUR GARDENS
ENJOY YOUR HARVEST

8 comments:

  1. With cancer in the gastric area, my husband is having trouble eating at times. That soup recipe will be much appreciated by both of us. Thank you so much for sharing these recipes. I'm on my way to the store to get an immersion tool to make the soup today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am so glad that you found a recipe that he might be able to eat. I sure hope you both enjoy it.
      Prayers for you both.

      Delete
  2. Those recipes all sound delicious! Thanks so much for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a big crop of zucchini and yellow squash to start cooking. Plan on trying your ideas. Have never heard of the mock apple pie using zucchini. That will be a fun one to bake. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. Once the crop starts producing it really takes off!
      I hope you try some of the recipes and enjoy!!!!!!

      Delete
  4. I love those recipes. I too, never met a recipe that I didn't tweak in some form or fashion. The mock apple pie is truly better than the one using ritz crackers from years ago, it is also healthier too! I only leave the skins on if I grew them myself - can't risk eating someone else's pesticide application even if I wash the skin. Have you ever had yellow squash chunked and cooked in milk with some onion? Really tasty too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - I always peel if I haven't grown. I do that with cucumbers as well if store bought.
      I think we tweak a recipe to improve the taste and to let out creative juices flow!!!!

      I have never had squash fixed that way. May have to give that a try. Thanks

      Delete