Sunday, August 12, 2018

Frugal Happenings 8/12

Happy Sunday everyone.  Here we are at the beginning of another week that God has graced us with.
We had another good week here on our little homestead.

We had a lot of rain at the first of week, then it dried out, and I got to mow.
Today the humidity is down some and it's in the 80's.  Supposed to have 80's for highs this week and evening in the 60's.  Rain off and on this week.  Not too bad for August.
The grass has taken off again in growing.  I mowed on Thursday and it needs it again already!  I went almost 4 weeks without mowing - now..........

The garden is still producing.  I only have one zucchini plant left that is producing.  The others have all succumbed to something (probably darn bugs).  I have dusted, but between bugs and heat, they gave up the fight.
The tomatoes are going crazy!
I have shared many tomatoes with our friend next door.  He is a happy camper.

My frugal week:
  • Line dried laundry
  • Froze more okra
  • Canned 10 pints of coleslaw
  • Canned 7 pints of pizza sauce
  • Canned 7 pints of pasta and 3 - 1/2 pints (for dishes that need a zip) of pasta sauce
                                                  Big pot of spaghetti sauce simmering!
  • Picked grapes - only one section had ripe ones.  After I de-stemmed them, I had 3 pounds.  I put into the freezer till I have time to make jelly
  • Mowed and worked on flower beds
  • Used the scalding canning water along the edge of porch and in fence row to kill grass and weeds
  • Dehydrated tomato skins to make powder
  • Cut G's and my hair
  • Picked approximately 42 pounds of produce this week!!!!!!!!  Okra, peppers, grapes, zucchini, cukes, LOTS of tomatoes and another HUGE cabbage   WOOHOO!!!!!
  • Used all leftovers for dinners or lunches
  • Ran to Kroger on Friday - 1/2 gallon milk, loaf of bread, found bulk chopped hazelnuts in clearance, and got 4 packs of Hillshire Farms smoke ham and turkey for 1.99/pkg. (special) - dated October.  I also got a pork loin on special for 1.69/lb. and I will be cutting it into chops today.  It cost a total of $7.50. (I'll let you know how many chops I get).  I only got one - as they will go even cheaper at some point.
These came to 2 lbs. total for $6.  Hazelnuts are very expensive here.  They usually run about 7.99 lb.

MEALS THIS PAST WEEK:
Home fried fish and salad
Fish/veggie roll-ups
Stuffed pepper skillet dinner
Mac n cheese with little smokies, tomatoes and cukes
Salmon patties, dirty rice, and tomatoes
Steak burgers topped with provolone and ravioli and tomatoes and  cukes
Homemade zesty chicken bowls (like Taco Bell) and salad

******************************

I kept busy, but this coming week will be the same or busier.  Canning season is here in full measure.
I love being able to put my harvest up for the winter.  I love eating it now as well!!!!!  There is just nothing like fresh!
This coming week my plan is for canning more tomato products, more coleslaw, and maybe starting some kraut.  I am not sure when jelly will be made - it can wait for a while.
I also need to color my hair - I think that is on agenda for today!

Between taking care of the yard/garden and canning I think I will stay out of trouble!!!!  LOL

Are you doing any canning yet?  How are the gardens doing?  Deals and bargains?
I look forward to hearing about your adventures.

May you and yours be blessed beyond measure in the coming week.  Prayers for health and happiness.
Blessings from our humble home to yours.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, 42 pounds of produce in one week is amazing! I know you are super busy processing all of that. Will definitely be a blessing to you and your family (and neighbor).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mainly tomatoes and another 8 lb. cabbage! When it rains..............I get harvest!!!!
      I definitely feel blessed.

      Delete
  2. I can relate, although I only can tomatoes and tomato products now. Oh also jams, and peaches when I can get them free. Every thing else we eat fresh and store as long as we can. I love my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is a blessing isn't it? Love fresh.
      Good for you on doing your tomato products and jams and peaches. Every little bit helps and it will taste so good this winter!!

      Delete
  3. Oh such a busy time of year! Fun but hard work. An 8 pound cabbage is great! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes mam. Busy and fun!
      Nothing like free food!
      Have a good one yourself!

      Delete
  4. 42 pounds of produce and 2 pounds of marked down hazelnuts is my idea of a great week!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading about your canning. No canning for me this year. :( I had to get my garden in late. My herbs are growing beautifully. I will try to dry some this Fall.

    Our garden is doing great, thanks to you. :) I did leave a thank you for the greenhouse on the other post I replied too. I hope that was ok. For some reason I don't get notifications on blog posts. My DH loves to do bonsai. His little lemon tree he grew from seed was not growing the way he wanted it too. He chopped it so bad I almost fainted, lol. I told him to set it outside even though we had no hope. Lemon bonsai is growing so pretty now and has tons of pretty little bonsai leaves.

    Deals & Bargains- I needed to go to Hobby Lobby to purchase a white stamping ink. Mine needed replacing and I did not have a reinker for that particular brand. I found alot of paper punches for only a couple of dollars. Some were originally $20. I picked out a few. I also found gorgeous ribbons and buttons marked down for only $1. Some of the ribbon was priced at $6. The beautiful die cuts, ephemera and embellishments you see at the stores for crazy insane prices. I remake all those for pennies on the dollar.

    WalMart I got fresh tortillas marked down to $1 and a box of pasta for 50cents. I live in a grocery drought area so this was a huge score, lol. I am loving your hazelnut deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning. I don't know why you don't get notifications. I am sorry.

      You are more than welcome on the greenhouse info.
      I have seen many bonsai plants, but have never thought to try that. Sounds really neat.

      It sounds like maybe you make cards? All the supplies you got were great deals. Love markdowns.
      Luckily there are many grocery stores in our area, but we do have areas around our ton that have none. It is so difficult for many people who live in those areas, because many have no transportation other than city buses.

      Have a great week.

      Delete
  6. You have been busy! I don't can, but I have put a few things in the freezer. It's such a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canning, freezing, dehydrating - it doesn't matter. You are putting good food back for the winter!
      Great job.

      Delete
  7. Cheryl, congrats on all the produce last week. It will feed you and your husband well into the winter. I stocked up a little last week on fresh produce from a very inexpensive market that carries both meat and veggies. Have you seen any turkey thighs in your part of the country? I can't find any anywhere. There was a man who told me of a local grocery that might have some but I didn't get there. Even in NJ, there were none, not even at holiday time. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norma - yes it will supply us well and others as well.
      No I don't think I have seen thighs here. I have found legs and of course breast - maybe they use that meat for some other product.
      That is weird.
      Have a nice week.

      Delete
  8. 40 lbs of produce harvested in one week! That is wonderful. I have harvested a little over 20 lbs from my little courtyard thus far! LOL I don't have much space but we have enjoyed eating what I did grow! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy I think you are doing great. You are pretty much doing container gardening and that is a fantastic yield.
      yes, it always tastes so good.

      Delete