Sunday, August 19, 2018

Frugal Happenings 8/19

Happy Sunday everyone!  Boy, these weeks are just flying by - it will be fall before you know it!

We had a lot of rain over the past week.  It was quite warm and humid feeling.  This next week is supposed to be in the upper 70's and low 80's.   That will be nice.  They are calling for a couple days with rain - then sunny and dry.

Yesterday I went out to mow (it was still slightly damp - but warming up fast) and the young man across the street hollered over "well now I have to mow!  You always get the ball rolling".  I never realized.  Within a few hours - 5 others had followed suit!  It does look pretty around here though!

The pepper plants and cucumbers are all starting to re-set blossoms and starting to produce again.  The other grapes are finally starting to ripen slowly.

The hummingbirds are at the feeders constantly now.  They are sure sweet and have been drinking a lot.  I sure hope that doesn't mean they are soon to be gone.

My frugal week:
  • Have only been going out 1 day a week - sure saves on gas
  • Worked on 3 flower beds and mowed this week in between rain
  • Our small coffee pot quit (4 cup) and I started using a bigger one.  No filters to fit bigger one (till I went out) so I used restaurant napkins as filters (I always keep extras)
  • Did more canning this week. - 15 jars salsa, 9 pints coleslaw and 1 - 1/2 pint, 6 - 1/2 pints of seasoned crushed tomatoes.  I also did 3 pints of sweet pickled onions slices (used brine I had left from relish)
  • Picked 38 more pounds of produce.  Picked 3 more zucchini (plants now done), some okra, peppers, cucumbers and lots and lots of tomatoes.
  • Used the blanching and canning scalding water to kill grass around the edge of porch
  • We were given enough green beans to cook for a dinner and a lunch
  • We were given 6 boxes of frozen rice/shrimp  (our neighbor/friend)
  • I went out one day and got some great meat deals.  I wasn't planning on buying meat for the next many months......but!!!!  I got another pork loin for 1.49/lb. - I sliced into 22 chops and a small roast (still haven't cut one from last week yet).  I got ground beef for 1.59/lb.  Bought 10 pounds and re-wrapped for freezer in 1 lb. packages.   Got a great deal on bacon!!!  3 lb. packages for 8.99.  $3 a pound is super cheap here - always ranges from 4.99 - 7.99 pound.  Actually the same bacon in 1 pound packs was 4.99.  I got 15 pounds - separated and froze.
  • Doing all the basics - making tea, laundry in cold, filtering water, taking care of lots of paperwork, eating from home, etc.
  • Made dip
Meals this week:
Turkey/cheese sandwiches and chips and dip
Shrimp poppers, fried okra and potatoes
Gravy covered ground beef steaks, mac and cheese and salad
BLT's
Cheeseburgers and green beans
Tomato & cheese pie (I'll tell you how this week)
Homemade burrito supreme

                  Tomato/cheese pie - OMG!  Soooooo good - not super rich at all!!!!!!  LOL


So there you have it - not real exciting.  I pretty much spend my week around here, just taking care of life.  There is always something to do, something that needs to be done, and things that just make me moan noooooooo!!!!  Such is life.

How was your week?  Did you get any great deals?  How are the gardens going?


May your week be blessed and happy.  Take time to say 'thank You' for your blessings, give a kind word to others, and bless someone with your sunshine!  We just never know the difference a small deed can do - be the difference!

Blessings from our humble home to yours.

16 comments:

  1. You did so well. I'm ready for the cooler days too Cheryl. This humidity is bad but we did get a nice shower yesterday. That's a good deal on that bacon- I love thick sliced! We have to mow now too -today! Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I thought the deals were decent.
      I am ready for less humidity for sure.
      G loves thick cut bacon as well - his favorite. he is happy!
      Don't overheat. Have a good one.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it funny that something always has to be done. I mean we could work 24/7 and still find something to do. Then there are people who are always bored.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I maybe get bored some in the winter - just because I have no oomph! Summer - never.
      Guess that keeps us in good shape and sharp.
      Blessings

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you got the ball rolling with mowing your lawn, Cheryl Great meat deals, especially on the bacon. I was able to get bacon this week for $3 per pound too. We will have to have some BLTs with good summer time tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BLT's are the best. Something so satisfying about them.
      ENJOY!

      Delete
  4. Your always an inspiration! I love to read your tips. We've had quite a hectic time the past 10 days (hubs was in E.R. three times with twice ending up in the hospital) and I haven't gotten much done let alone cooked, but come here to get grounded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaahhhh bless your heart. Thank you for those sweet words.
      I am so sorry you and your hubs are going through all this. I continue to keep you in my prayers.
      Hugs to you both.

      Delete
  5. That tomato pie looks delicious!

    I agree that there's always something to be done. I could work from the second my feet hit the ground and not stop until bedtime and there would still be a full day's work for me the day after that, and the day after that, and the day after that... Where on earth does all this work come from??? It is satisfying, though, going to bed at night and knowing that I've accomplished a lot during the day, and I'm sure you understand that feeling well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it is very satisfying knowing what you have accomplished at the end of a day - but sometimes I think we all need a break. Yes, it never ends. I have no idea where all that work comes from!!!!!!! There are only 2 people here and the animals, but geesh! LOL

      That's OK though - I'd rather have it to do than not. It keeps us active and alive.
      Have a good one.

      Delete
  6. Good morning Cheryl. I added some bacon last week to my pantry, from a meat/produce only market. I will probably use it to season green beans and potatoes next time I cook some. I thought my tomato plants were done, but low and behold, at the base of one of them, there is a new shoot. I will cut off all the old plant and see how this does. Sometimes it pays to wait a moment. I want to get some herbs in there - garlic chives and maybe something lemony or even stevia plants. I was hoping to grow a moringa tree on my patio, but I can't find any locally. We are supposed to be a little far north, but, with all these days in the 90's, I think it would grow well here, and I could cut it back and take it in each winter. I am trying to add a can or two each week of things I want to keep on hand - mushrooms for example. While fresh are available, by the time I get them home and want to use them the next day - they have turned and smell bad, so out they go. Hence buying in cans. My little patio is my biggest thing to keep clean - the ducks walk up and down after dark and poop and pee (nothing worse smelling than duck pee) on it. And I have a 3'X 5' mat out there, so that is just gross. And I am back to making hats for the food/clothing pantry at the church I am attending here. People get cold here in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow Norma, I once had to deal with geese on the front door step, not a pretty sight nor smell ! Can you put a low fence around the perimeter of the deck?

      Delete
    2. Norma glad you are gradually adding things in. Some things are just better to keep on hand canned - as fresh goes bad so quickly. I also just buy fresh potatoes instead of taking the time and room to grow them. Just seems more efficient to me.

      YUK on the duck pee and poo. Surely there is something that can be done to block the area. Maybe some decorative plastic or metal fencing? I would hate to wake up to that every day.

      Glad to hear you are still making hats - so sweet.
      have a good one!

      Delete
    3. ELLEN - howdy!!!! Miss seeing you here. You must be busy as is everyone else is. Hope all is well for you guys!

      Delete
  7. I think we are starting to transition into an early Fall. Least, I am wishing for this, lol. My plants were starting to show signs of getting ready for Fall. This is my indoor and outdoor plants. I am in Zone 5 for gardening. I still have lots of time left. Deep freeze is usually in late October, early November.

    When DH & I bought our home five years ago we noticed that the neighborhood would mow their yard every other day. That is not an exaggeration. My DH mows every two weeks. Last year we noticed that everyone stopped mowing so much. They all wait for my DH to mow and then run out to mow, lol. They were killing their grass. DH & I have a viewpoint yard is wasted real estate so we are filling it up with pretty gardens, trees, pond, rock garden and lots of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My plants are looking different too. I think there is quite a while before all is done - but there are changes.

      I have one neighbor who mows every other day - but everyone ignores them when it comes to mowing!! LOL
      That is just crazy. They must be bored.
      I agree that yard is wasted real estate, albeit pretty. So much food could be grown.
      Have a good one.

      Delete