Sunday, April 21, 2019

Frugal Happenings 4/21

Happy Easter to all who celebrate.  HE IS RISEN!  What a glorious day.

Today the skies are clearing and the temperatures are going back in the right direction!  We had rain for 3 straight days and crazy winds and cooler temps.  Woke to fog this morning, but sun is shining now and we should get to about 70* today.
The world is most definitely coming back to life.  Trees are leafing and flowers are popping up,  All is green and looking lush.

I have been rather sore this week.  Monday I had gone out to do some errands, and when I came home I decided to go to the basement for something.  I still had my 'shopping' shoes on. (I never wear shoes going to the basement - carpet on stairs).  Well step 2 I slid and landed on my bum and rode the stairs down on my bum and back.  UGH!  My right arm was on handrail and hung tight - so I pulled the muscles a bunch.  Left elbow hit the cement block wall, and rug rash and bruises on lower back, hip, and upper legs.  BUT I AM FINE!!!!!  Thanking my lucky stars!
I guess it is a good reminder of how quick things can happen.

My frugal week:
  • Renewed library books on-line
  • Refilling pantry jars from home stock
  • Working on baby quilt
  • Got to air house and have no heat several days first of week
  • Took a big bag and a box of goods to the Christian thrift store
  • Received 2 - 8 count bags of hoagie buns from the thrift store for FREE.  Will repackage and freeze
  • I went out bargain shopping on Monday.  MEIJER - got a 20 lb. Honeysuckle White turkey for .49/lb. (limit 1).  Also a whole boneless ham for 1.99/lb. (10 lbs.).  I will slice and freeze in various size packages.  I can't buy deli ham that cheap (no way close).
  • Ran across the street from there to MENARD'S and purchased 24 cans of diced potatoes and 48 cans of tomato sauce.  .49/can with a .40 per can rebate!!!!!!!!  Final cost will be 9 cents per can!!!!!!  WOOHOO - I have already sent in rebate.  What a deal.
  • I was gifted a cook book of soups and stews - so many yummy looking recipes.  I can't wait to try some of them.
  • Doing all the regular stuff - laundry cold, making tea, eating from home and scratch, recycling what I can and just staying home!
Meals this past week:
Homemade white chicken/bacon pizza
Blueberry pancakes
Cube steak, mashed potatoes & steamed asparagus
Chili/cheese dogs and fries
Pork pieces with sautéed veggies over rice
Spaghetti with meat sauce (used veggie rotini instead of spaghetti)
Homemade sausage/egg/cheese/tomato McMuffins  - Yum!!!

How was your week?  Did you get any good deals or recycle anything? 
Anyone still de-cluttering?  It is an ongoing project here!

I hope you all have a glorious Easter with your families.  Prayers that your week be healthy and happy and frugal.  I hope that each of us do a little to help our yards, neighborhood, community, or towns in this Earth week!  May we each work at it everyday.

Blessings from our humble homes to yours. 

20 comments:

  1. Happy Easter to you and your family, Cheryl. We had some rain come thru the last few days and chilly here this morning, which feels good. OMG, I'm so glad you are ok after that horrible fall. I hang on to the banister too when I'm going down the stars as I am afraid of falling. I hope the soreness goes away soon. What a great deal on the turkey and ham and you're right about the price of it versus the price of the deli ham. That'll make great sandwiches for sure. I hope you have a great Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Easter!
      Oh, I am definitely on the mend - not hurting near as much. Just blue and green!
      I just couldn't pass on those deals - shoot the turkey would make great sandwiches and meals too if I decide to cook soon.
      Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. Happy Easter to you and the family, Cheryl. Ohhhh, that fall must have really hurt. So glad you were not seriously hurt. Rug rash is the worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Easter.
      The bruising is the worst - but the rug rash didn't feel good either!!
      I need to be more careful - for sure.
      Have a fantastic day!

      Delete
  3. Oh you poor girl on the slip and slide stair story! We met with a real estate agent who we plan to use to sell our home. She is on the board of the local chapter of Habitat For Humanity and put us in touch with the person who runs the donations section. We plan to give away most of the stuff that doesn't bring us "joy" like Marie Condo's book advises, and we have been wondering what to do with a lot of lumber and trim in our garage. She said they will even pick it up! A real win for us and the charity. Thanks for inspiration of cooking up some good dinners. Your cooking and storing are truly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I told hubs I took an E Ticket ride down the stairs! Don't advise it.


      That is great that you can donate so much to Habitat. That is such a good charity. I am sure that it all will be loved and reused. You should be able to deduct on taxed as well.

      Good luck with the sale.

      Thanks, I get bored with cooking somedays - but we eat what we like.

      Delete
  4. Happy Easter!
    Oh wow, I'm sorry about the fall. Glad it wasn't worse, but I'm sure you are sore. Maybe take a long soak, and I hope you feel better soon.
    Great deals! Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am much, much better. Just funny colors!
      I thought the meat deals were pretty good.
      Have a good one.

      Delete
  5. Oh no, I could feel your pain as your described your fall. Hope all the soreness goes away soon for you.
    We got to turn off the heat yesterday too! It was a beautiful day. Love your flowers. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am better.
      It was gorgeous here for Easter and today is going to be pretty too. I THINK maybe spring is finally here!
      Have a good one.

      Delete
  6. Cheryl, I am so sorry. :( I am so glad you are ok and it was not worse. I know it probably feels worse. :( I hope you feel better soon.

    I got a deal. Technically, my DH did. His work sold their truck to him. It's a nice Ford F150 worth around $7,000. My DH got it for $1,000! We are so excited and feel so blessed. My DH kept trying to tell them he wanted to pay the blue book price on it. They wouldn't let him. They told him he was really important to them, he's a good person and they appreciate him. They wanted him to have that truck and stop arguing, lol. Not only did my DH get a truck he also got love. We kept borrowing the truck and I teased my DH one day we should ask if we could buy it. He actually did ask, lol. This is such a gift for us. We did need it desperately.

    I am done de-cluttering. I finished the garage on Saturday. Only took three hours. A lot of that was rearranging and reorganizing to make things more efficient. Next year it should only take one hour. Crossing fingers. I really hate clutter and keep it out of my home.

    I hope you have a beautiful Earth Day & that your Easter was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing good thanks.
      What a fantastic gift you received getting to buy the truck. WOW on the price. Blessings come from so many places in so many ways. I can hear your excitement in your writing.
      So happy for you.


      It would take me 3 month to de-clutter garage!!!! I am glad you have gotten it down to such a minimal state. Good job.


      Thank you - I will celebrate Earth Day working in the sunshine today. Have a good one.

      Delete
  7. Oh girl!!! Remember when we young, we wanted to take the stairs on our butts??? Bless you...hope the soreness leaves you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah and some how it isn't nearly as fun any more!!!!!!
      Doing good. Thanks

      Delete
  8. Happy Easter. I am glad you are OK. That is scary. I did it years ago carrying the laundry. Nothing broken but black and blue everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was scary at the moment for sure. Doing fine.
      Have a great week.

      Delete
  9. Cheryl, Wow, sorry to hear you took a slide down the stairs. Kind of scary at our age, but I'm with Little Penpen and remember when we thought it would be fun to slide down the stairs! I hope you are getting back to normal colors. We are still decluttering here, I think it never ends. I didn't do any shopping for sale meats last week as i still have a couple of hams in the freezer from last December.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - glad I didn't break something. Must have some tough old bones! It used to be fun - not any more!

      I feel for you. What a job. Just keep thinking about the end result. I wouldn't have bought hams if it hadn't been for the freezer thawing. BUT - I needed to replenish.
      Don't over do it this week.
      Have a good one!

      Delete
  10. Amen and I wish you a Happy Easter season!

    Oh, poor you! I went down our stairs in Cali head first and couldn't believe I escaped with only a bone bruise on my shin! I guess it's a good thing we're sturdy!

    How did I miss that deal at Menards!? Was it advertised? That's an AMAZING deal! And free bread, too! You always find the good stuff.

    We had a warm week, also. Haven't used the heater in 2 weeks and the A/C hasn't been used yet this year. I'd love another month of this! 70s and no humidity!

    Meals were a mess last week- I had horrible allergies and slept a lot. We ate a lot from the freezer and DH got us a Sam's pizza and we ate that over 3 days. I feel much better this week. I think the flowering pear tree was the culprit. Once it she'd the flowers and the wind blew like crazy, I felt much better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. :::Popping my head in to look for Cheryl and wondering if she has a jelly bean hangover:::😉

    ReplyDelete