Today is a beautiful day in the neighborhood - but that will soon end! It is supposed to get really cold again this week with highs in just the 30's and nights in the teens!!! YIKES
We are supposed to get and inch or two of snow Monday into Tuesday as well.
Friday was the coldest day since March. Saturday warmed up a bit and today will be good. I plan to do some raking today before the snow flies and the super cold hits.
I had a BIG opossum come to my yard to pass on to opossum heaven this week. That thing was so big. It was totally stretched out and it's body (only body - not tail) was about 2' long. I am sure it weighed between 20 and 25 lbs. I saw it out there during the day Friday and it was not able to use it's back legs - must have gotten hit. Poor thing. I noticed it went and curled up in the dog house - then by morning it had moved to just under the shed. I saw it's position and waited a couple hours to make sure it hadn't moved - then I knew it was dead.
It seems like things come here to die. I don't know if they feel safe here, or know that they have fed here, or perhaps God just knows I am sympathetic to all creatures. I have had so many animals come here and pass. It makes me sad, no matter what the critter is. I always say a little prayer over them.
- Took advantage of one slightly warmer day to empty and clean the rain barrels. Got them in storage and saved some jugs of water for houseplants. That's a big job for one person!
- Changed out many batteries around the house (I always do at the time change)
- Cleaned out the remainder of the front flower bed
- Voted, stopped at Post Office and filled tank with gas to minimize errands
- Filled all the feed bins and got things ready for the cold
- I checked out all the fluids in the Blazer, making sure it is in good condition for cold weather. I added a bottle of Heat to the gas tank as well
- Made a couple orange - banana milk shakes this week (using up items that needed using)
- Drained a can of chick peas and dehydrated and salted for a snack. They were very good and crunchy and healthy. I will do that again for sure. Something different.
- I made a batch of squirrel treats (little cookies) with items I won't be using for myself. They are enjoying them!!!!
- I went to my first Bazaar of the winter. Something different to do. This one always has an area called the "attic" with used items for sale as well. I got 3 older style bath towels for .25 each. In the craft area I got 2 FREE t-shirts. This sale is at a church school and they wanted to promote. I also bought a hand made winter headband to keep my ears warm.
T-shirts with a great message - FREE
My cute headband - hand made for $6
- I stopped by Kroger on the way home from Bazaar, to get a weekend coupon deal. I got 2 - 7 lb. turkey breasts for $13.50. They were a weekend special marked .52 cheaper per pound than the sale price of 1.49/lb. I got them for .97/lb.. Those will be more than enough to please me with turkey this winter for myself.
- My neighbor and I did the house generator maintenance. All checked out and I feel comfortable that it is in good order.
- I set up a 'work station' in the basement for getting the gifts together and organized for Christmas
- Making tea, drinking sparling juice/water from Soda Stream, eating meals at home, doing all the normal stuff.
- Still trying to work on de-cluttering
Meals this past week:
Smoked sausage, cabbage and potato chunks - fried together
Small homemade pizza
Chili Mac (chili from freezer) topped with cheese
Loaded baked potato
Cheesy tuna mac and salad
Green beans (from freezer), leftover tuna mac and slaw
Sausage/egg sammies (on hamburger buns)
So there you have it - my simple week of chores/activities. How was your week? Did you get anything added to the pantry or gifts bought or made?
I look forward to hearing from you all.
May you all stay safe and healthy in the coming week. Stay frugal and please be KIND!
Blessings from my little humble home to yours.