Sunday, November 17, 2019

Weekly Wrap-Up 11/17

Happy Sunday to one and all.
It is a pretty Sunday morning here.  Cold but sunny.  What a weather week we had.  Last Sunday I had the doors open and a couple windows as well (got to 62*).  Aired out the house while I was out raking.  Within 24 hours temps dropped and it was snowing like crazy after raining!  Luckily we only got about 2 - 2 1/2 inches.  It is gone now.
It got the coldest that this entire year has seen.  We got down into single digits a couple nights and days stayed in the 20's.  We are now back to days in the 40's - much better!

Tuesday was a messy day.  My Blazer sets outdoors 24/7, so I worked at getting it all uncovered and unthawed, as I had to be somewhere on Wednesday.  Got it all thawed, so I decided to leave it unlocked, figuring it wouldn't refreeze over night.  I NEVER LEAVE MY VEHICLE UNLOCKED.
Well, go out Wed. morning (coldest of the year) and my car door was open!!  My car had been ransacked.  Stuff just strewn all around.  Only thing missing was a very old pair of prescription sunglasses (won't help anyone) and my Aldi quarters!  I had 3 quarters in the console - I later found one of them in the drive.  Now mind you, my car is in the upper part of drive directly between my house and the neighbor's and we both had on security lights that lit up the area.
Crazy!  I guess many people left cars unlocked that night (because of weather) and someone must have assumed that would be the case.  Several cars on our block were hit.
So sad that people are that lowly, that they would walk up in yards and steal, especially on the coldest night of the year.  That is pretty darn bold.  I hope those quarters were well spent!
Won't happen here again.  I learned a lesson.
Just a reminder to all - NEVER leave anything of value in your vehicle!

My week:
  • Raked leaves that were down and put on garden
  • Made up several small basic pizzas and froze for easy future meals
  • Aired house out on Sunday
  • Put out extra bedding in the greenhouse and small dog house for the cats. (They have been staying cozy!)
  • Re-filled all the feed bins with items on hand during a warmer day
  • Made up batches of beef and chicken Rice A Roni jar recipes and several jars of mixed beans for gifts
  • Doing all the normal things - making tea, eating from home, laundry in cold, cleaning and de-cluttering here and there
  • I went to lunch/brunch with my dear friend Jen on Wednesday.  I have known her for OVER 50 years.  Like she said this week - who knew that 2 little girls and their violins would have made this bond that has lasted so long!  Bless her heart - she bought my lunch!  Fun day
  • I went to a craft show on Saturday, basically because my niece had a booth.  Got to see my gr.gr. niece (5 mos.).  I did purchase a few items at the show for stocking stuffers.
I got all 7 of these primitive  ornaments for a total of $10!  Notice the pretty little bag under them - I will re-use that as well.

Meals this week:
Small taco type pizza
Smoked sausage sandwich and baked beans (from freezer), chips
Beef/bacon patty melt
Out with friend - pancakes and bacon
My homemade easy gumbo - 2X
Taco-cheese-salsa pasta
Taco (meat)-cheese-salsa pasta

EASY GUMBO - box of Aldi dirty rice mix & required water, chicken broth, can/jar of diced tomatoes, 1/4 C extra rice, can of chicken breast, and about a cup of cut okra from freezer - about 2 cans water (extra from that used as directed w/mix), seasonings to taste.  TASTY!  (made a lot)  I ate twice and froze some.

Even with the cold and snowy weather this week, it was nice.  Love getting caught up with friends and seeing family.  I despise winter - but I must say that the cold is energizing at times.  
I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the responses to the "memory lane" post.  It was so fun reading all the memories.  I smiled a lot this week while reading those.  Thank you all.

How was your week?  Did you get any holiday bargains?  There sure are some good deals being advertised for Thanksgiving.  Now is the time of year to stock-up on those goodies at their cheapest price.
Prayers you all stay safe and healthy in this coming week.  Stay warm - for those here in the U.S. and stay cool in the southern hemisphere!!!!

Blessings from my humble little home to yours!

27 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your car. They must have just went through the neighborhood trying car doors. Ridiculous! Cracks me up the lost a quarter.
    Your Taco (meat)-cheese-salsa pasta dinner looks delicious!
    Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - I guess it takes all kinds of people to make the world go round. Just intimidating that they were so close to the house.
      Thanks - it tasted really good!
      You have a great one.

      Delete
  2. I love making my 30 minute jambalaya. Makes a lot, but the recipe can be cut in half or frozen. 2 lbs brown rice and ten cups water (5 cups if making in the instant pot) 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp each garlic powder, onion powder, chicken-tomato bouillon, and old Bay. 1/8 tsp each thyme, black pepper, and cayenne. 3 Bay leaves. Cook 18 minutes in the Instant pot or according to package directions on the stove. When done, stir in cubed, smoked sausage,a can of undrained ro-tel, and a cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Heat through a couple of minutes and serve with hot sauce on the side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness that sounds very yummy. I like Jambalaya as well. I throw in a bit of this and that. I always save small amounts of different meats and freeze just for that reason.
      Thank you so much for sharing!!!!!

      Delete
  3. I am glad they didn't break your car. We have had that happen in our neighborhood too. I always keep the cars locked. We have had a few homeless people sleeping in open cars too. I guess it keeps them out of the wind. One man was really shocked to go out to his car and find someone sleeping in it. He posted it online but didn't call the cops. He didn't want the man to go to jail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, lucky nothing was hurt. Just a mess.
      I can understand that with the homeless and such frigid nights. I always worry about the homeless, especially of such cold nights. I wish there were more places for them to go - IF they would. I wouldn't want them to go to jail either - if they were trying to stay warm.
      I will keep things locked 24/7 from now on.

      Delete
  4. Your car robbery makes me glad we live in the country with a garage. And that our garage is NOT attached to the house. We don't lock the garage, nor the vehicles and if they want them the keys are close by (not in the vehicles). Farmer figures if they want the vehicles they'll take those and leave us alone. We do lock the house when we are gone & at night. And if I'm working in the basement I'll lock the front door as I can't hear anyone knock or come in.
    Holiday gifts are being planning and purchased.
    Frugalness: We were gifted with some pulled pork from my bosses after their open house on Friday. I brought home 8 cups+. Most is in the freezer but I left out enough for a meal or two.
    I'm planning Thanksgiving and I think right now, all I'll need is potatoes. We've stocked up on canned goods sales and most everything else I keep on hand in my deep pantry. I know I have several whole chickens and I think I have a turkey breast. We'll probably make a small ham also since Farmer is not a fan of poultry.
    We are starting to plan to replace my Jeep. I paid it off this fall. We have 3 small grands who live in the town we work in. All 3 in car seats and they don't all fit in my Jeep. So we need a 6 or 7 passenger vehicle. I also pick up my boss' 5 kids from time to time. Normally we just go a few blocks from their school to the office, so we cram 4 in the back & the oldest in the front. With a bigger vehicle they will all have their own seat and seatbelt! This is not exactly a frugal expense but a needed one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My garage is not attached either. I do keep it locked as it is full of all the tools hubs used for his job before he retired.
      I keep the house locked always.
      It sounds like you do need a different vehicle. Good luck and I hope you find one that is just right.
      Great going on having all you need for Thanksgiving, basically.
      Yum on the pulled pork - nice gift to receive!

      Delete
  5. Well, looks like you got hit twice! (see post above). I'm sorry about your car. That happened to us once.

    I have been reading for about 3 months and this is my first comment.

    My BFF and I have been friends since she was 8 and I was 9. (Now we are going on 73 and 74). Our houses were back to back in Portland, Oregon. As you said, who knew. She still lives in the Portland area and I am in northern Idaho. We have recently agreed to see each other 4X per year because we realize how much we have meant to each other, and that we still need each other.

    When I was at her place 3 weeks ago, we made an actual trip down Memory Lane. Between the two of us, we could remember the names of about 3/4 of our neighbors in the 1950s, their dogs' names (and occasionally the cats) and who gave out the best treats on Halloween. (Hands down: the couple on my corner who passed out homemade divinity).

    I remember very well the summer night when I was about 5 and all of the kids in the neighborhood gathered in our street halfway between the two corners (it was a double block, so lots of kids) to play kick the can. I was the youngest, the last kid out and I made for it and kicked the can! Don't laugh, it's one of my best memories. We played Kick the Can a couple more nights that week, then never again...which was quite the disappointment!

    Incidentally, we were both surprised by how much smaller the houses were, how much smaller the lots, how much narrower the streets...and how not-as-steep was the sledding hill. However, no one with any brains would go down it.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got rid of the second hit!!!! I don't understand why spammers think you won't notice.
      I have 3 friends from way back. One I met the first day of first grade and we are still friends. Then Jen and one other I met in 2nd grade - but we aren't close like we used to be. I guess life gets in the way.


      That is so neat you get together that often. What wonderful and fun memories! Isn't it funny how nothing is as good or as big or as special (things) as we remember? Memories of family and friends are - but things always seem to let us down as adults.

      Thanks for sharing such fun memories. Please come and visit again!

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry someone ransacked your vehicle, Cheryl. That is just terrible. People work hard for what they have and for someone to just come and take it really bothers me. I'm like you, I keep my vehicle locked now because of this very reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky. At least I keep nothing of value in my vehicle. It is so sad that people do this. Live and learn - I won't leave it unlocked again.
      Thanks

      Delete
  7. Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your car. I always keep mine locked. At least I really try to remember. Luckily we haven't had any trouble around our way, but you never know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - you never know. I have been here 34 years and this is a first for me. I guess we all need to keep vigil.
      Thanks

      Delete
  8. That is terrible and so scary your car was ransacked like that. I am glad they didn't hurt your car or you. I hope others in your neighborhood didn't lose too much in value. People and their cruelty never cease to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I don't think anyone had much of value in their cars - but still. No matter how little, it is ours!!!
      People just amaze me.

      Delete
  9. I left my vehicle left unlocked one evening recently too and someone went through it. They took my owner's manual and the thingymabob for tightening the lug nuts. Thankfully they tossed those items and my neighbours found them. Whoever it was left the change in the console AND the garage door opener...I'm assuming young kids. Since then I park in the garage every night.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes people just want to be vandals. So sad. So many better things to do with their time.
      Have a good one,

      Delete
    2. Maybeme brings up an excellent point--lock your car, especially if you have a garage door opener remote for an attached garage. This can be an easy way for burglars to gain entry to your home. We have a deadbolt on the man or walk door of the garage, but not on the door between the garage and kitchen...I am thinking we need one. I do keep that door locked, but if someone has gone to the trouble to break into your garage, a lock that can be picked with a credit card isn't going to be much of a deterrent.

      I would like to comment on locking screen/storm doors. Those locks aren't much of a deterrent to a break-in artist but they are a big deterrant for someone who is trying to get in to help you. I was always harping on this with my mother, and when she died, you guessed it...the storm door was locked and had to be broken down to get in. Which destroyed the door, but more importantly, slowed us down.

      Delete
    3. That is an excellent point. Thankfully my garage is detached from the house and only has an overhead door. I don't have an opener. Remember I am old fashioned and do it all manually! LOL

      My doors have security doors and then the inside doors have regular locks and deadbolts. Sounds overly secure - but it sure makes me feel better being alone.
      I have a neighbor who has keys to the house if something happened.
      Everyone needs to examine their security issues, especially now that the holidays are upon us again.

      Sadly, you just can't be too careful these days.

      Delete
  10. I am sorry about your car. It is an awful feeling when you are burgled. We are having problems all over the town with car breakins. It is all drug related crime. Take care as you are alone. I love your posts by the way and always look for ward to seeing what you are doing or have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is scary being alone. Makes me be a lot more apprehensive for sure.
      Thanks. I am glad to have you here.

      Delete
  11. Lovely to meet up with old friends. My oldest friend and I have been mates for over 65 years. Our car got broken into once while it was locked. They broke a window and the door lock getting into it but there was nothing of value. Cost us getting the repairs done though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, old friends are wonderful.
      How awful that happened. That is just pure meanness.
      I am grateful I had no damage.

      Delete
  12. I am so sorry that your car was broken into. I'm glad that you are safe, and it is a good reminder to me to keep doors locked. Sometimes I wish that I had a barking dog instead of 5 cats. ;)
    Your meals sound yummy, and the ornaments are so cute. Glad you enjoyed time with a friend.
    Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, my story was mainly to remind people to be safe and keep things locked.
      A barking dog would have given warning!
      Thank you - you have a good week.

      Delete
  13. It is amazing what people will stoop to do...I am glad you did not have anything of value in your Blazer. I usually keep my Rav locked if it is parked outside. I do have to be careful that Roger don't unlock it and leave it. We usually park in the garage, and the garage is locked all the time. I hate having to lock everything but that is what it has come to. We even have a lock on the door to his shop inside the garage.

    ReplyDelete