Sunday, December 15, 2019

Weekly Wrap-Up 12/15

Happy Sunday everyone.  My goodness, here we are half-way through the month and just a few days before Christmas.  It is just amazing to me how quickly this year has gone by.

We had some really frigid temperatures the first part of the week and then we got back to decent (seasonal) temperatures.  They are predicting snow for tonight and maybe tomorrow.  I don't think it will stick around long as we are supposed to be back in the 40's the last part of the week.  Oh well, it is Christmastime!  Tis the season!
We have had some of the most incredible sunsets this past week and a sunrise that was just glorious.  The colors were amazing.
                                                         God sure is a good artist!
My week:
  • I got the remainder of the mini blinds in the house all cleaned
  • Worked on cards and parcels (still not mailed - I bad)
  • I did go to the Social Security office.  MAJOR accomplishment for me.  I went to a branch on the north side of town so as not to go downtown (town is so busy and congested).  I found the place on my own.  I prayed before I went and God got me through it.  I got Medicare done and now have an appointment for S.S. widow payments.  
  • I got gasoline and saved .80/gallon with my points!  Thanks to 4X points for gift card purchases and survey points.
  • I ran to Kroger for a few more basket stuffers and I got pears in markdown - 4/.99.

           Yum - have been munching on these for snacks.  Hadn't had fresh pears in a long time.
  • I worked on more jar recipes.  Tried to finish up shopping.  I think I only have a couple more small things to get.  Worked on gift bags.
  • Ran to Aldi and got eggs for .49/dozen and butter for 1.99/lb.
  • I got a present in the mail!!!!  A friend from the other side of the country sent me a lovely gift.  I got the warmest socks/slippers, a bag of thick ribbon candy and raspberry candies!!!!  EEK!
These are incredibly warm and cozy.  My feet won't be cold this winter.  Lined and slip resistant!  How lucky am I?   Thank you L!!!!!!!!!
  • Refilled all the feed bins to be ready for nasty weather.  Filled with supplies on hand
  • Made more squirrel treats
  • Cleaning (always), laundry in cold, drinking Kool-Aid and water too, eating from home and from scratch, doing all the regular stuff
Meals this past week:
Beef, bean and cheese burrito
Potato soup (from freezer) and added leftover beef and beans (tasty)
Chipped beef gravy over toast
Mac n cheese and hotdogs
Leftover mac and hotdog and green beans (from freezer)
Hamburger hash
Turkey rice soup (from freezer) and a cold cut sandwich

I learned when the kids will be coming up for Christmas - it will be the 28th.  I have my menu all planned and I do believe I have 99% of it already here.  I only need buns (I believe).  I look forward to their visit.  

Trying to get myself more in the mood, I checked out the Christmas music channel on cable - NOPE too many slow and sad sounding songs.  I decided to check the radio and found a local channel that is Christmas music all day everyday until Christmas.  I have been listening to that.  It is much happier sounding music.
Like I said, I believe I am about done with any shopping.  A couple more odd gift cards to get that none of the local stores sell.  I will need to go in these restaurants to get.  I went out Friday, thinking I would beat the weekend madness.  HAHA!!!!!!  It was a madhouse out there.  Goodness sakes, I couldn't believe it.  By the time I got home, I was so confused and I was thinking it was Saturday.  LOL

I have baking to do each week.  Have you baked?  Shopping done?  Has anyone found any awesome deals?
Let us know what is going on in your neck of the woods.

Prayers for health, healing, and happiness this week.  I pray for all of those missing loved ones.  It makes things tough I know.  The Lord will get you through this.  
Blessings from my humble little home to yours.

                                                             BE KIND AND LOVING

24 comments:

  1. The poster is a good reminder. Be kind as one never knows what some else is going through. Tomorrow will be the anniversary of my mom's passing. I miss her always, but even more so at this time of year as her birthday was Christmas day. Many, many memories, more sweet than sad now after 16 years.

    I am amazed at the price of eggs and butter. I have eggs on my list for this week, the cheapest I can find is $3.49 for 18. Butter is usually around $4.99/lb but I did get it for $2.97/lb recently.

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry for your sadness. It is so hard without our loved ones - no matter how long they have been gone. HUGS dear.
      That was a special at Aldi for the eggs and the butter - but truthfully they really aren't that expensive any way. I think I would do without if I had to pay what you pay!
      Have a good week. Blessings

      Delete
  2. Nothing too thrilling at our house, but we used up various rewards we've accumulated of late (2 drug stores + the grocery store) to pick up things we need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rewards are great - they can sure save you some money. Good going!!

      Delete
  3. Love your columns. As soon as they pop up on my email I start reading! Thank you. I love that about being kind. So true, so many sad behind the smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aahhh thank you. Glad to have you here.
      Yes, I think we all smile - but have some sadness behind it. You just never know what is happening in someone's life.
      Blessings

      Delete
  4. I always enjoy your blog when I visit here. I'm so sorry about your huge loss, it's that time of year that we have a hard time when we remember our loved ones not here. The other day I started to cry very quietly in the kitchen thinking of my dad and my newest little dog heard and came running to me. Such a Godsend.

    Can I suggest some music that I have found so cute and cheerful? It's on youtube, I play it on my tv through channel master or you could stream it? It's the Kmart music they used to play, I guess you could look up, Kmart Christmas music, it's adorable and they even have an old time manager come over the speaker to make announcements every 30 minutes or so, it tickles me to no end!

    Yes, kindness, so, so, so important. It can make or break someone's day. I don't get people who don't get it.

    Have a sweet evening. ~Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I am so sorry for your loss as well. Pets just know. I can be feeling down or quietly crying (like you said) and my kitties are right there, cuddling, patting my face and giving kisses. Unconditional love at it's best!

      I will check the music out! That sounds quite cute - announcements and all!!! LOL

      Some people are so wrapped up in themselves, that they never understand what they do and say to others matters so much. I know people like that and I just have to stay away.

      Have a wonderful week and please keep visiting.

      Delete
  5. No awesome deals in my neck of the woods, but I did get honeycrisp apples for $.99/lb. They're my new favorite apple.
    I baked snickerdoodles yesterday for the first time since Mrs. Harrington's 7th grade cooking class 47 years ago. Turned out pretty good.
    My husband and I do not observe Christmas. I have too much bad childhood baggage around Christmas (my father sucked the joy from everything), and husband worked for the Postal Service in the mail sort division for 28 years. He retired before everything became pretty much computerized. Christmas time was brutal. We will probably go to the gym Christmas morning. He (but not I) was invited to his daughter's for the day and is obviously not going. You see, I stand between her and "her" inheritance! LOL!
    I think of you and others I know who have lost a loved one recently. It seems there have been so many this year. You do what YOU need to do for yourself this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well good for you on making the snickerdoodles. I don't think I have ever made them. That is a wonderfully flavored apple.

      I am sorry your past was so bad. I can understand your husband not being into this time of the year as well. Some people just take the joy out of so many things - I now stay away from those people. I guess with age maybe becomes wisdom - or less tolerance.
      Oh my goodness - your step dau. sounds rather Scrooge like!

      We just all get through the best we can. Celebrating or not - just hold all things good in your heart!

      Delete
  6. Your posts are always so enjoyable and upbeat. I have made 2 different types of biscotti and will make one more prior to Christmas. I already gave them to friends....not as Christmas gifts but just because I know they like them. I have family coming down Saturday and leaving Monday morning so I made some reservations to eat out.....I pretend this is my vacation also and don’t want to have to cook! We will go out for breakfast and dinners and they are on their own for lunch or we will go out for drinks and snacks while looking at sights and shopping. Another nephew coming dow on the 26th and I will take theM out to dinner and a breakfast. Again...I get to pick where to go and try new places that I have not been to. Google Cape May N.J. to see where I live and how beautiful it is..... Congress Hall especially. I live in a beautiful area at the very southern tip of New Jersey. I have intentionally relaxed and not rushed around the last 2 years and have enjoyed Christmas so much more. I will be going to a local churches Christmas program on Wednesday. It is usually quite upbeat and lovely. I love your socks! I have a pair just like them in a different color. I love the no skid bottom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm your biscotti sounds so yummy. I received some as a gift one year and fell in love with it. How sweet to gift your friends.
      well happy vacation to you!!!!!!! That is a great way to give yourself a break and help family enjoy new experiences. That is really neat. I will Google the area. Just the name sounds neat!
      Have fun over the next week or so. It sounds lovely.

      Delete
  7. So glad you are on the home stretch with your Christmas. I think I'm close as well. I'll be at the post office tomorrow then I'll be done with that. Sounds like you will have some great company soon. Have a good night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are approaching the final stretch as well. I can't wait for the kids to come up. That is always the highlight of the season! They are just so much fun.
      Have a good week.

      Delete
  8. Oh Lord, I do not like the sad Christmas music either. :( I think I am ready for Christmas. I am going to my daughters Christmas morning for breakfast, and to watch my grandson open his presents, then making 2 big lasagnas for dinner. In jammies, lol. We will open family presents in the evening. I am sewing this week for guild and me! And I do see some relaxing in there a little too.

    Thanks for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad slow music is just depressing!
      That sounds like a good way to spend the day on Christmas. Oh to watch the littles get so excited about Santa!!!!
      I will go to my brother's Christmas Day for a while - I think I may make lasagna as well for here.
      Thank you dear!

      Delete
  9. We babysat our littlest Grands this past weekend. One didn't sleep for about 2.5 hours in the middle of the night. I was so tired when we took them home. But I needed more Christmas feels and our chruch was having the Program. Celtic inspired music. It was exactly what I needed. We didn't stay for the cookies but came home to a quiet house with precious memories of giggles and snuggles. They'll be back on Christmas and we'll watch them again the 28-29th. They are tiring but we are so blessed to have them close by and get to spend this fleeting time with them. Soon they will be big kids and the baby snuggles will be over.
    This week we'll be finishing the cards, wrapping and baking. Just a few more small gifts and stocking stuffers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great weekend. Nothing like snuggles! The Celtic music sounds neat.
      Kids sure do make the holidays. They grow so fast and become interested in other things - so get all the snuggles you can.
      Have a good week.

      Delete
  10. Cheryl, One of the youtubes for the music I was sharing about above? It's called 'Kmart In-Store Music: Christmas 1974' They also have one from the 60s for Kmart-Kresges and other Department store Christmas etc., they are really cute. I have it on now as I'm wrapping a little gift, some of it reminds me of the ice skating music at the ice skating rinks years ago. Enjoy! God bless you Cheryl and I'll be lifting you up in prayers this Christmas season! *hugs!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that. Sounds like it will be right up my alley. I like the older stuff and 60's and 70's sure does take me back!!!!
      Thank you for your thoughts and prayers!

      Delete
  11. What a lovely sunrise picture!
    Glad you were able to get medicare straightened out, and I hope social security will be a little easier.
    Your socks look so cozy. I'm glad that you will have family visit, and I hope the little one enjoys the nap house.
    Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had such lovely sunsets and sunrises lately.
      I am glad things are slowly being taken care of. It sure is frustrating.
      Looking forward to the kids coming for sure.
      Have a great one!

      Delete