Thursday, February 20, 2020

This for That - A Tip or Two

Some folks think that you need a house full of tools - one to do every job.  NOPE.  So many things can be used for a variety of  things.  I love finding new uses for things.  It saves money, saves space and anything multi-functional just makes sense!
  • I use my rolling pizza cutter to cut homemade noodles.  Works like a charm
  • An egg slicer is perfect for slicing strawberries or mushrooms
  • A 2 prong carving/meat serving fork is great for getting cooked spaghetti out of a pan.  Just wrap spaghetti around the fork, let drip drain and place on the plate
  • I use a very old colander (I got at a yard sale for .25) as a steamer.  It has a flat bottom.  It fits perfect in 2 pans I have - water in the pan, set the colander on top (above water) and steam veggies. I can also use it to blanch veggies - I place veggies in it and set it down in a larger size pan of boiling water.  I use a pair of tongs to remove.
  • A melon baller works great for measuring cookie dough, ravioli filling or making fun balls of ice cream.  The melon baller or a ice cream scoop is handy for removing seeds from tomatoes or peppers.  Works great to de-seed squash as well
  • Muffin pans are great for all kinds of things.  Make individual meatloaf, quiches, any breakfast bites, mini individual brownies, great ice cubes or frozen juice, small cheesecakes, freezing individual servings of mashed potatoes, veggies, or stuffing (then bag up).........the list goes on and on.
  • A veggie peeler is super for making chocolate curls to pretty up any dessert.  
  • A Bundt pan is good for making a nice ring of ice for a punch bowl.  Use to carve corn - place the ear of corn on the center hole and carve.  The pan catches all the corn.  So little mess!
  • No vacuum sealer?  Place dry or semi dry goods in a zip lock bag and insert a drinking straw in one corner (zip seal the remainder of the bag).  Suck the air out of the bag - quickly remove straw and finish sealing.  Not so good for liquids - unless you can keep straw totally away from the liquid (you probably don't want to suck up the liquid).
  • Does anyone know what these items have in common????
They are all jar openers!!!!  Yep, if you can't budge a screw on lid - use one of these.  A screwdriver, a butter knife, a teaspoon, or a bottle opener.  Simply place one of these under the edge of the lid and just apply minimal pressure and you should hear a pop.  That means the seal has been broken and the jar lid will unscrew.  Those fat produce rubber bands are also great to use for a little bit of leverage.  Place it around the band or edge of jar lid and unscrew.
Running hot water over the lid or lightly banging lid on counter top can also help loosen a top.
I also have a couple squares of rubber (like shelf liner) that also work to gain leverage - it just helps to hold on to the jar or anything slippery.

So there you have a few tricks to save you from having to have so many devices, utentils, or tools in the kitchen.
Do you have any special tricks that we can learn and use?

Have a happy day!



24 comments:

  1. You make me laugh because I use all these things the way you do. My metal meat mallet is used as the upstairs hammer. It has pounded in many a nail for picture hanging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike! Good use for the mallet!!!

      Delete
  2. I love this - I am adamantly against one use gadgets - I won't even use an egg slicer (a knife works) - same with steamer, melon baller, meat mallet (I use my rolling pin) crock pot, rice cooker, etc - don't need 'em, don't want the clutter. Drives my mom nuts ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I thought of that after I posted. I figured someone would say "just use a knife". Works for all kinds of things. I can use a spoon for scooping ice cream, melon balls and scooping out seeds from squash as well!
      Use what you have.

      Delete
  3. I also use my pizza cutter for cutting quesadillas. Works like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tools to open a jar I knew...my other trick is to hand the jar to my son. He has to earn his keep somehow, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - that is funny! Yes mam, has to earn his keep.

      Delete
  5. One of my favorites "off label" uses for a kitchen gadget is to use my pastry blender to chop boiled eggs for egg salad. I like mine very finely chopped, no large chunks, and I can pulverize a dozen eggs in about 2 minutes. This is the blade type, not the one with wires.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Mind blown with the corn and bundt pan trick. I will use that all the time. Such a simple, yet very useful idea! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure makes clean-up easy. All is self contained.
      Glad you found something you can use!

      Delete
  7. I always use my ice cream scoop to measure batter for muffins. It's just the right amount.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these and it is always good to be reminded of some I knew but haven't used in forever. I had never heard the one about the corn and the bundt pan though. What a GREAT idea. Thanks for the tips. Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we all need a reminder. You are welcome - hope it helps in some way.

      Delete
  9. When the kids were little the pizza cutter was on the table all of the time. It made cutting up their food a quick job. We use different tools for jobs all of the time. I don't have the room to store a tool for every job nor do I want to spend the money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea for cutting up kids food! I just all the ideas everyone shares.
      I don't have the room or money for a 100 tools either!

      Delete
  10. Great tips with some new ones for me to try. Thanks!
    Much to my husband's disgust, I sometimes use a knife or scissor blade as a screwdriver. and I almost always use a screwdriver to open a paint can since I can never find the paint can opener thingy. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You meana screwdriver wasn't made to open paint cans? LOL - I do it too. Butter knife for screw driver - yep. Tell him you aren't alone!

      Delete
  11. For cutting homemade noodles, I fold the noodles dough in thirds and use a chef's knife and it is just one quick rocking of the blade and they are cut. I used the pizza cutter to cut pie dough when I used to make the lattice top. I have not did that in years and years. But I used to.

    I also use the straw method sometimes...I use those items for lids. But have also found that sometimes just by turning the jar around and getting a different hold on it will do the trick. I do not know why that works, but it does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea on using the pizza cutter for lattice pie crust. I like that. My friend used to cut her noodles the way you do. That is how I learned to do it. Ten started using the pizza cutter.

      Delete