We had storms and rain off and on yesterday. Some rain predicted for each of the next 3 or 4 days and hot.
The rain is surely making the garden and plants grow. They are thriving. Nature's water is much better for the plants than hose water.
Enjoying watching all the animals around. One night I had 2 adult and 4 baby racoons out back. They were playing and scurrying around every where. Up this tree and down and then up the other tree and down. Big old opossum came walking by that night and the cats were just sitting on their chairs watching everything! Bunnies were out playing and eating clover earlier. Birds and squirrels and neighborhood cats visiting ...... it is a real menagerie out there. My neighbor used to say I was "Alice in wonderland", now I am just "Jane of the jungle"!!!!! LOL
We had a power outage Friday night in the neighborhood. From the sounds of all the sirens, I imagine it was caused by a wreck somewhere close by. My generator kicked on instantly and I was the only one with power! Power was only out about an hour - but good to know I am covered.
Update: The kids from two doors down came and apologized to me! I don't believe it was their idea (teen just looked unhappy) - but they did apologize for being rude and for saying the things they said. We had a nice talk out on the porch and I told them we were just all worried that they may do something that they can't take back and then they would have their lives ruined. The young couple next door had a HUGE conversation with their Mom and told her she better start parenting - because that was her job, not theirs and not the neighbors. We'll see. Just figured I would let you all know. It has been quiet this week!!!
- Steamed & sautéed some fresh veggies that needed used up
- Towered my potato plants - they are really growing - don't know if there will be potatoes, but plants are really pretty & growing
- Repotted several house plants. Some very old and leggy looking plants and some from planters I got last spring. Had the pots and soil on hand
- Placed some starts from old plants in water to root as well
- Raked leaves 2X. YES, raked - the tulip poplar always starts shedding in mid June and July - ugh! Used the leaves as a mulch grass barrier behind the shed
- Mowed the entire yard while it still was a bit cooler
- Rain barrels are both full again!
- Picked my first zucchini on Tuesday!!! Looks like I will be eating zucchini a lot in upcoming days! YAY - free food. There are many coming on.
- Made up an Aldi dirty rice mix and used it in 3 different ways for meals this week
- Used some sausage in a skillet zucchini dish and then sliced up rest of sausage into (7) patties and froze for future use.
- Put together a new bottle of dish soap and one of shampoo, adding vinegar to both
- Just doing all the normal every day stuff
- Did go out to fill gas tank and saved .20/gal. with points
Meals this past week:
Steamed cauliflower and sautéed mushrooms/pepper & fried chicken/cornbread stuffing patty
Repeat of above
Dirty rice with a single sausage, green beans and cherry toms
Rice (leftover) & bean/cheese enchilada 'like' burritos (topped burritos w/sauce)
Homemade veggie cheese burgers (using rice and beans in burger mix) & slaw
Zucchini/sausage/cheese skillet (threw in leftover green beans)
BLT sandwich and chips and salsa
Dirty rice with an indiv. size smoked sausage - love dirty rice
Zucchini, ground sausage, onion, salsa, a handful of pasta and cheese - YUM (having leftovers today!)
I have just been hanging out here at home. Only left to get gas (didn't want to lose my points). Did some porch sitting the first part of the week when the temps were cooler and watched the birds and hummingbirds. Weeding garden and pulling weeds from flower beds have been my main activity and just visiting with all my nature and kitties. Kitties know where to lay to stay the coolest - they sure are smart.
Not much exciting in my neck of the woods.
How was your week? Have you harvested anything yet? So many of you are in places that so far ahead in crops than here.
Look forward to hearing from you all.
Stay kind and helpful and positive. Prayers that you are all safe and healthy.
Blessings from my humble little home to yours.