Thursday, October 22, 2020

Cooking Up Some Fun & Yum

 Fall is in the air here in the northern hemisphere!  We look to comfort foods and tasty treats.  I have a few ideas for simplifying and saving a few dollars and still be tasty.

PIZZA IN A SKILLET
Mix all your pizza toppings together in a skillet and cook up.  I add meat (ground beef and/or sausage) first then pop in onion, peppers and mushrooms - or anything that needs to tender up a bit.  Add whatever ingredients that you put on top of pizza and a jar of pizza sauce.
You can use this on top of toasted buns or bread, pita, fry bread or tortillas.  Use with tortilla chips or corn chips, crackers, over pasta or rice or just put it in a bowl and eat!!
Top with cheese of choice.

Skillet pizza on toasted buns.  So easy and tasty.  No heating up the big oven is necessary.  ENJOY


BROWN SUGAR AND HONEY HAM GLAZE
No need to spend extra for a ham with those glaze packs.  Get a cheaper ham and make your own glaze.

1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 C honey
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
Mix together and drizzle or spread over ham.  Mmmmmmm


It is apple time!
Nothing like a wonderful apple pie or apple crisp.  Love fried apples.
If you don't have luck making pie - try a crisp.  It is one of my favorites - regardless of fruit!

When it comes to frying or baking I am not particular to type.  I will use what I have and it always tastes good.

CRUMB TOPPING FOR CRISP
1 C flour
1 C brown sugar
1/2 C soft or melted butter
** 3/4 C oats & chopped nuts (combo)
** optional
Mix together and top your filling and bake at 375* for 30 minutes to crisp it up.

Here is a fun tip I sometimes use when making an apple crisp.  I mix in an 8oz. can of cranberry sauce with the apples.  Adds a great bright taste to the fruit.  Would be good with pears as well!

Don't throw away those 'past their prime' apples.  Peel and cut out spots and use for baking or frying.  Waste not want not!


We have all seen those small containers of caramel apple dip at the grocery.  Usually those containers are in the produce department real close to the apple display.  Not sure about your area - but they are are pretty pricey here.   They tend to run $3.50 - $4.50 for a little container.
Crazy.
Make your own - it is fresh, tasty and so much cheaper!!

CARAMEL APPLE DIP
8 oz. pack of cream cheese - softened
1C brown sugar - packed
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Cream ingredients together, cover and refrigerate over night for flavors to meld.  Makes about 2 cups of YUM!
Slice up your apples and dip away.

**I like sliced apples with peanut better as well - another fun treat!!


CHILI CHEESE DIP
Warm, comforting  and oh so good. 
8 oz. pack of cream cheese - softened
10 1/2 oz. can of chili without beans
2 C shredded cheddar cheese (or what you have)

Spread cream cheese in the bottom of an ungreased 9 x 13 pan - top with chili.  Sprinkle with cheese.
Bake at 350* for 20 minutes.
Serve with tortilla chips or corn chips.
Don't know about you - but this could be a meal or two for me - not just an appetizer!

Hope this gives you a few time saving and money saving ideas for food fun and yum.
ENJOY



26 comments:

  1. We make that chili cheese dip here and have enjoyed it for years. My Mom got the recipe from a friend who lives in Oregon in the late 70s or early 80s.

    The pizza in a skillet sounds so good and how neat that you can put it on buns. That sure would make for an easy clean up. I'm going to try that one soon. Thanks for all the good sounding recipes. I need to try the caramel dip too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome. It tastes just like pizza - but you don't have to worry about crust. Use what you have!!!
      Chili cheese dip is yummy.
      Enjoy

      Delete
  2. Great ideas--all of them. I copied down the one for Caramel Apple Dip. I know that I will use that one for sure. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. A neighbor has a pear tree and has been begging people to take the pears. I want to try a Pear Crisp recipe I found on Taste of Home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use pears anywhere you would use apples and i actually think pear sauce is better than apple sauce.

      Delete
    2. Frances a pear crisp would be so good. You can poach them as well or pie. Mmmmmmm

      Delete
    3. Lana I agree - pear sauce is really good. I love a juicy pear!

      Delete
  4. I plan on making an apple crumble (crisp) tomorrow - my favourite Winter dessert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mouth is watering. It is sooooo good.

      Delete
    2. Cheryl (and Frances), oats are NOT optional in apple or pear crisp! It's the oats that make it good (and crispy!)

      I am still working my way through a 40 lb. box of Gala apples that I bought for .48 lb. We're having Waldorf salad with beef stew for dinner tonight.

      Delete
    3. I agree with you - but some people don't like them. I add nuts too - some don't. I love the crunchiness of it all!

      Delete
  5. You have the best recipes and ideas Cheryl, many thanks again.
    Ingredients that I have on hand, so can't wait to try.
    You are improving my cooking skills a bunch!
    Pam in Texas.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I like to cook tasty and easy things and I like being able to use the pantry for that. I figure everyone else does too.
      Glad you like them. Happy to be of service!!!

      Delete
  6. I got a posting window! I've tried since Sunday and I couldn't get one!

    I make pies and tarts mixing Apple's or pears with cranberry. I love that sweet tarty taste!

    I tried to post on Sunday that we couldn't find celery or carrots in two local markets!! My Dh stopped at Sprouts in the city and found both! I love Sprouts but it's not nearby. I spent most of the morning prepping them to freeze. I did about half but my hands started to ache. I did about 3 lbs. of carrots and a large bunch of celery. Gave me 4 bags of soup ready stuff and today's chicken noodle soup. I'll finish the rest tomorrow. I also got some extra bags of frozen corn. Since Iowa had that Derecho, I think corn is gonna end up harder to find and more expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you had a problem posting. I know nothing technical about this site - so I apologize. I wish I had an answer.

      I like that sweet tart taste as well and I am not a cranberry fan, but I like them mixed.

      Wow, I keep hearing people have trouble finding canned carrots - didn't realize there was a problem with fresh. Baby carrots were on sale here this week and there were plenty of them and large ones. I don't eat a lot of corn - so I should be good.
      Glad you got in here!!!!

      Delete
  7. Lots of good recipes today! Love easy and not a ton of ingredients. Yup, use up those less than beautiful apples! I read that Debby in KS had trouble finding carrots. Costco had huge bins of double packs of the baby carrots as well regular carrots. My Chihuahuas get fresh carrots as snacks in the afternoon. I usually buy my celery there because it is sweet, not bitter and lasts quite a while. We are headed to Meijer this morning to pick up some things using the coupons we got in the mail. Buying something on sale with a coupon is perfect! Also Menard's to use our rebates.

    Another beautiful day in the neighborhood and possible rain later this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't found carrots short either - but have read many have. Good healthy snack for people and doggies alike!
      Have a great shopping tip. Love those coupons!

      Hope the storms aren't as bad as they say they might be.

      Delete
  8. Always enjoying reading about your shopping and cooking even if I've never used my oven in 6 months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - sounds like you need to break it in!!!
      Have a good one.

      Delete
  9. Our last few apples that were getting a bit old and soft, I made into an apple cake. Turned out wonderfully and Harvey just loves it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Egads, I just gained 4 1/2 lbs. just READING your recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - that is funny! Just don't eat them all at one time!!!!

      Delete