Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Weights and Measures - U.S. vs. Everyone

 The U.S. has a different set of weights and measures than most of the world.  I never was good on converting.  We 'learned' in school - not to say it stuck in my brain!  I still have trouble with it to this day.
I am always listing items and recipes - the way we do things - forgetting that much of the world does it all different.  I also read a lot of blogs from other countries - so need to know how to convert their measures as well.

We use ounces, pounds, gallons, pints, quarts, etc.  Metric is liters, milliliters, grams., kilograms, etc.

I know there are many conversion charts available online - but sometimes I don't want to stop and look at the computer.  Is there an easier way?  Yes!

A WAY TO CONVERT WITH A CALCULATOR
Hope this helps.

TO CHANGE                        TO                   MULTIPLY BY
Ounces (oz.)                       Grams (g)                     28
Pounds (lb.)                        Kilograms (kg)            0.45
Teaspoons (tsp,)                 Milliliters (ml)             5
Tablespoon (Tbsp.)                "            "                  15
Cups (C)                              Liters (L)                    0.24
Pints (pt.)                                "                               0.47
Quart (qt.)                                "                              0.95
Gallon (gal.)                            "                                3.8

EXAMPLE - to convert 3 Tbsp. of water to metric - multiply 3 by 15 to get 45 ml.


Many chefs do not measure cups when baking like most of us here in the U.S. do.  They weigh their ingredients.  I always like to watch Alton Brown - Good Eats - he weighs everything!  I guess you get a more precise measurement.  I have never tried it.  Do you measure in cups or weigh?



UGH - it is all so confusing for me!!!  I will stick with my cups and teaspoons and tablespoons - so bear with me.  I do see recipes I like of foreign blogs and I have converted - but it takes me a while!!

I know I can't be the only who has trouble with this!  
I think this is probably confusing no matter where you live.

Hope this helps someone!!!!

30 comments:

  1. To me US measures are just like ancient Greek. I know it exists, but it's useless. Metric measures are logical and so so easy to scale.
    It depends on the receipe if it requires weight or volume, but my measuring cups and receipe books have convertions like 1dl sugar equals 85grams.
    But I have used metric units my whole life, so they are part of my native language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just the opposite - metric is Greek to me. It all depends on what we were taught as children and at school.

      It is fun to see someone who feels the same - just about opposite things!

      Delete
  2. I always weigh, but in the UK sometimes in metric and sometimes in pounds. But beware UK pints are 20 fluid ounces as opposed to the American 16

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See there is another thing we learned today. Thank you. I had no idea.
      I think the U.S. is about the only one who does it the way we do!

      Delete
  3. I was a teenager when Canada went metric so I use cups, teaspoons, tablespoons, etc. But my measuring cup actually has both metric and Imperial measurements.

    Except in rare cases, I'm more of an eyeball person. Sometimes a cup is more of a cup and a 1/4. It seems to work, most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you go - you use what you learned. I think my cups have both measures on them as well.
      Funny you say you eyeball it. I can pour a pretty good 1/4 cup in my hand and it generally measures perfect.

      Delete
  4. An Aussie friend gave me her recipe for Pavlova. It called for a punnet of strawberries. I looked everywhere for the equivalent till she told me it was the small basket they are purchased in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have been the same as you. We all use such different words and phrases for things.
      A biscuit here isn't a biscuit there. A scone is different in both places - ARG - so confusing!!!!

      Delete
  5. In the UK we still use teaspoon and tablespoon measurements along with either pounds and ounces or grams and kilograms. Younger folk don't understand pounds and ounces as it is not taught in school. (At 58 I remember them but prefer to use metric)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what happens when they start teaching differently. It is like math here - it sure isn't taught like it was when I was a kid!!!
      Of course young people can't really tell time either - has to be a digital clock!!

      I do things the older way too.

      Delete
  6. Hubby is the cook around here ~ he does a lot of weighing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I measure and when I do have to convert I use my cell phone and pull up a program that tells me how much in cups and such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW another measurer! I guess I need to give it a go. I have a good scale. No fancy phone here - so no apps or programs on phone for me.

      Delete
  8. I liked watching Alton Brown years ago.
    I have trouble with converting measurements so thanks for info. It is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has updates on some of his shows now. Man he got older!!! LOL - glad we haven't!!!
      You are welcome!

      Delete
  9. Although I grew up with 1bs and ounces, I prefer metric now when cooking. Even better are US cups although I get confused with sticks of butter. We can still buy our milk in pints but oil is litres. A market trader fought and won the right to sell in lbs and ounces. Supermarkets sell in kilos. Beer is still measured in pints. We are a funny lot over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See so many different ways - that is confusing to me. I guess I will just stay old fashioned - heaven forbid they change it all here!!!!

      Delete
  10. Great post. For baking I always weigh the measurements. It's more accurate. For cooking I don't really measure much but if I do, it's old school. Remember 1 cup in a liquid measuring cup is different than a dry measuring cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you gals have me thinking about this weighing thing. I do measure for baking - but most else is just pour/dump and go.
      Thanks

      Delete
  11. Cups have a long history, in the US they were preferred by pioneers because they were easy to carry while scales were finicky and easily broken. It wasn't until late 19 century that the cup became standardized. I weigh sometimes, but since I rarely bake, mostly I just guess! Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat lesson. Thanks! That makes a lot of since. I find it easier to use cups as well.

      Delete
  12. After 12 years of living in Germany. I'm half and half. And I speak in Celsius and kilometers as much as mikes. I measure sometimes but when I doubt I weigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess people must find recipes that show weights. I have never seen a cookbook that does. Mine are all in cups and tablespoons, etc.
      If I had good knowledge of both I think I would be so confused!

      Delete
  13. Interesting information (as always)! The Urban Farmer does the bread baking and he measures his ingredients. This is a new(er) process for him as he had always measured the conventional way (to those of us in American). If we need a clarification, we ask Alexa! She is a boon to those of us who don't always remember everything we ever learned. Miss Lori made a very valid point; use the proper measuring cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to you have a bread maker! No Alexa here - nope!
      I guess I am conventional!

      Delete
  14. I grew up with cups and ounces but of course, Canada converted to Metric quite a few years ago so I am now half & half. I can now "visualize" Miles per hour in a car, know how hot or cold it is and can figure out weights in the supermarket - but have to admit that baking is still a challenge and mostly I still use cups & ounces. But - I do have a digital scale and use it when following British recipes. It is a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a challenge! I agree.
      Considering I didn't like math in school - I am very good at doing it in my head, except conversions!

      Delete
  15. I will stick with cups and teaspoons, etc...

    Have you ever watched The Great British Baking show? Roger likes it, too, except it makes him hungry. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched it yet. I keep thinking about it

      Delete