Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Random Bits and Bobbles

 Today is just a few odd and end ideas to pass on.  Many are just reminders.  
I hope some of them helps someone.

TOOTHBRUSHES
If you get sick - replace your toothbrush!!!  If you don't have another - boil yours.
You just continue to spread bacteria and virus if you use the same one after being ill

REMEMBER to WASH your drier lint filter often.  You may remove the lint in the trap after each use - but there is still an invisible layer of gunk that needs to be removed.  Take out the lint trap and wash well with soapy water and rinse and dry.  If could save your drier or your home.

*************
Here is a trick for those of you who feed ear corn to the squirrels (I can't be the only one!)
Some years the growing season is very dry and that makes for very dense cobs on the corn.  They are extremely difficult to get on the feeder.
I use my drill and make a hole in the center of the cob - enabling it to slide over the feeder nail better.  The hole is a bit smaller that the nail - so it isn't easy for the squirrels to remove!




I keep corn in a metal trash bin, and I go out and drill many at a time - so when I have to replace the corn on feeder - it is ready.

BATTERIES
If you have any tools in your garage that use batteries - you need to bring those batteries in for the winter (if garage is not heated).  Extreme cold and batteries do not mix well.  I always bring in the rechargeable batteries before extreme cold.  Saves you money on having to replace - those rechargeable batteries for tools are expensive!!!

DRIPS
If you have a drippy faucet - try to get it fixed quickly.  If you can't get it fixed - CATCH the water!!!
Use the water for watering houseplants, pet bowls, dish water, flushing, etc.  Do NOT just pour it down the drain.  DID YOU KNOW - one drip per second = 2,700 gallons of water a year!!!!!!!!  That is crazy.
So catch those drips and use them!  Better yet - get it fixed.

BAKING SODA
Don't ever THROW away old baking soda!!!!!!  It still has tons of uses.
Deodorant, toothpaste, cleansing powder, w/vinegar to clean drains & toilets, deodorizer in litter boxes or trash cans, antacid, deodorizer for frig or freezer....................
So many uses - so NEVER throw it away.  
Once I replace the box in the frig - I put it in the drain with vinegar to clean drains.  Never wasted.

ROTATE
Make sure you rotate your pantry preps.  Use the oldest first.  No one wants to have things go to waste.
Just remember that those dates are at the discretion of the manufacturer - not mandatory.  They are "best if used by" dates which means optimal flavor - NOT EXPIRATION!!!!!!!!!!!
The manufacturers are hoping you will throw things away and buy more - there is a method to the madness.  The government does not require these dates (except on baby formula).  Many countries have no dates.
To avoid any questions, just ROTATE stock.  Use your oldest stock first!
Keep your pantries organized and neat - it ,makes it easier to not overlook things.

Hope these reminds someone - so we aren't wasteful.
WASTE NOT - WANT NOT



26 comments:

  1. I hadn't thought of the toothbrush, good point! I always keep a box of baking soda specifically for cleaning the sink and taps in the kitchen and bathroom. With vinegar it's amazing!

    Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sense re-infecting ourselves! I always have extra toothbrushes on hand.
      Love baking soda and vinegar - it works so well.
      Have a good one.

      Delete
  2. We pour hydrogen peroxide over our toothbrushes to clean them but we are hardly ever sick.

    My late MIL had a cob feeder and when she wasn't looking my late FIL would shoot them with his BB gun. Then he would rush out and fling the squirrel into the woods with a shovel. Yes, they are rascals and we would never feed them here because they do so much damage but shooting them while they were at the feeder seemed to not be fair to me. We had a $1500 wiring harness on our Honda chewed up by the squirrels this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no!!!! Yeah kind of unfair to shoot them while eating.
      I have no damage, nor have I in all these years - but they are pretty well fed!!!
      Good idea on the peroxide!!!! I don't get sick either (knock wood) - but have in the past.
      Have a good one.

      Delete
  3. I live in the city so can afford to be all romantic over little furry creatures. Your picture of the squirrel near the cob feeder is just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in the suburbs (just outside the city) - and we have all kinds of critters! I just love them all (mostly)!!
      Have a good day!

      Delete
  4. A word of caution on rechargeable tools -- do NOT leave them plugged in; once they are fully charged, remove them from the charger. There have been at least two house fires in my area in recent weeks that were attributed to rechargeable tools being left plugged in. Better safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great reminder!!!! I charge mine - but never leave them on forever.
      Thank you.

      Delete
  5. I think shooting from feeders is very very wrong. Local hunters use feeders to shoot deers and I think it should be banned. Shooting squirrels at feeders.... grrrrr. But, squirrels are not causing trouble around here, they are not pests like rats.
    I somehow can tolerate wild boar shooting from feeders, because they are real problem here.
    Actually here the dates are mandatory, last day of use here means food is microbiologically safe to that date (this is used in meats, fish, fresh milk etc easily spoiling food). Best before on the other hand is just that, product is at it's best before that date ( usually month and year), but safe to eat, like in pasta, rice, cereals, coffee, cookies, ice cream, tins, jams, frozen products etc. One of my co-workers used to work as a food safety inspector, so I'm unfortunately well educated on that matter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is illegal to bait and shoot deer here. I don't like it at all. I could never kill something unless it was endangering my babies or me.

      WOW I am glad it isn't like that here. It amazes me that they say it is microbiologically safe to a date. The stuff in the can doesn't know the date - and how does it magically go bad over night? It just makes no sense to me.
      We only have "best if used by" and "sell by" (which is for the store).
      Most of our "best if used by" dates are a good 2 - 3 years out if not longer.
      Thanks for the information. Interesting.

      Delete
    2. Last day of use is used ONLY on products that can actually spoil fast, like fresh fish or minced meat etc - It is NOT used on canned or frozen food or dry products.

      Delete
  6. Another great post Cheryl, thank you.
    Pam in Texas.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great point about the toothbrush. Especially now during the pandemic and flu season beginning you sure don't want to be spreading the same virus and bacteria around your mouth.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought maybe we all needed a reminder on that one. Be safe not sorry.
      Blessings

      Delete
  8. I keep my toothbrush in hydrogen peroxide to kill germs. I lived in the city and had hundreds of squirrels in my yard alone. They caused all sorts of damage to my home and belongings. The woman across the street from me had to have a total remodel of the structure of her home because of squirrel damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea for the toothbrush.
      That is a shame on damage. I have never had a problem. So thankful - because I sure enjoy them.

      Delete
  9. I LOL on cleaning the dryer lint catcher as I just did the scrubbing with soapy water yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. More excellent tips! I use peroxide to clean our toothbrushes every so often. The dryer lint catcher could do with a shampoo. I don't use conventional fabric softener so it doesn't seem to gunk up as fast. There was a cute squirrel post on Instagram. It was a lady's pet and she would brush its coat with a toothbrush. When she would stop, the squirrel would take its little paws and bring the brush back, like "hey, don't stop!". The worst damage we have from squirrels is in the gardens. The Urban Farmer has one of the little lights in the shed by the chicken feed and all their extra goodies. It has a AAA battery in it, has been out there for years and still works. The ones I have in the closets have gone through more batteries. Found some canned goods marked 2016 but they are now in the front of the other cans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peroxide works great.
      I was really referencing re-chargeable batteries - like for yard tools. They will go bad quickly in sub zero temps. I have small light with regular batteries in the greenhouse too. It is handy in the dark!
      Good going on rotation -use it up!

      Delete
  11. Roger's buddy has had the wiring harness chewed up a couple times by squirrels...I think was a newer vehicle. And a vlogger I know had her wiring harness chewed up with squirrels. I guess if I ever get a newer vehicle, I will have to make myself park in the garage all the time. LOL

    Vinegar and baking soda is my standby for drains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I have been lucky with the squirrels. Me too with soda and vinegar.

      Delete