Thursday, September 9, 2021

Helpful Charts and History (Mine & Yours)

 Today is just a couple simple charts that will be helpful this time of the year.  We tend to cook heartier meals during the fall and winter - especially around the holidays and we love our seasonings.  Seasoning food can make a 100% difference in how you react to it.  I am not a bland food type person.  
Seasonings at the store can cost a fortune.  Make them yourselves!!!!  They are so easy to do.  You can also tweek it to be exactly what you prefer.  These can also be multiplied and made for great holiday gifts.  I would love to get a lot of great seasonings in a cute little basket for Christmas!!!!!!

Click on picture to enlarge for better reading!

Apples are now coming into season.  An apple a day keeps the doctor away!!!!  We all need that, now don't we?  LOL
I love apples and buy a lot of them in the fall.  It is about time to start visiting the local orchard.  Nothing like fresh, locally grown apples.  I eat at least one a day during the fall - many times more.  I love cooking with them - especially fried apples - OH MY!!!!!!
Hope this helps someone in making a choice of what to get and enjoy.



LASTLY - A little history.
I don't often (hardly ever) post a video.  I came across one that I think that every American can appreciate.  It will also be a brief history lesson to those outside the U.S.
Give the video a moment to get going - it really isn't about current events.
I post this as the man they are talking about, Mr. Briganti, had a real impact on my life!!!!
He looks wonderful in this video - but this man was my 6th grade teacher!  He was one of my favorite teachers ever.  I learned a true respect for history because of him;
He was fresh out of college back then and was a genuinely nice, nice man.  My only teacher crush!!!!💓
I have no idea how one goes from being a grade school teacher to doing the great things he has done - but I for one am glad he did.

Click on above to see video

I am honored to say that I met this man and and I am proud of what he has done.
I hope you can see this and enjoy.
It is a part of history for many of us and our families.

Have a fantastic weekend.


22 comments:

  1. How neat! I’m off to watch the video, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to wzt hing the video...that is so neat!
    I copied the spice blend chart. I plan to not only use it myself but make some to put in Christmas goodie baskets. Thanks!
    By the way, how do you make your fried apples? I am not happy with the way I do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the video
      I just melt a bit of butter in a pan and add sliced, peeled and cored apples - sprinkle with a little sugar and cinnamon and cook till desired texture. That is all I do. I just love them.
      YAY on the spice mixes.

      Delete
    2. Thanks...gonna give it a try!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing that video, Cheryl. It really touched my heart with memories of my grandfather, just 5 yrs. old when he arrived in America. Thank you, too, for the spice and apple charts.

    Dollar Tree and Rite Aid are good places to get herbs and spices inexpensively. Love the idea of homemade blends as gifts!

    Apple season is a wonderful time of year. Do you have favorite recipes using apples? My family loves a skillet dinner using sausage, potatoes, onion, apples and cabbage. --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too. I had ancestors come through there and can't imagine what it was like.
      I do sometimes get spices at dollar stores and Ollies (if you have one) has good prices as well.
      I like coming up with my own custom blends.

      I love my fried apples and love them with pork! Pork chops and fried apples always were served together as a child. You dish sounds wonderful - I will try adding apples to my skillet next time!!!

      Delete
  4. How lovely. Thank you for sharing this video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I just loved the little history lesson and how it is all being restored.

      Delete
  5. Well ow fun, thanks for this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure - I thought it was pretty neat and fun facts to know!

      Delete
  6. Very interesting video. All those people coming from different lands. That's what makes America so great. Mr. Briganti seems like a nice man. I wonder what he's doing now. Is he still with us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is all so interesting. He is and he is doing well. Still working on projects.
      He was a great role model back years ago and was well liked - glad to see all he has done.

      Delete
  7. Good post, your recipe for fried apples sounds so good - I need to try that. I loved the video and that's great you got to have him for a teacher. I should read more about history, I would probably appreciate it more now than when I was a kid in school. A good teacher makes such a difference. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a fun video. I was hoping people might find it interesting. I still had a hard time with history as I was a kid - but many of his lessons and words came back to me over the years and I truly enjoy it . You have a good one!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing the clip about Ellis Island. A few years ago a second cousin took me to visit my 2 x Great Grandparents grave (Kent, England) As I was looking at their gravestone, I noticed buried in the next plot was my 3 x Great uncle and his son from the other side of my Dad's family. What a surprise. Further investigations showed that the son, Arthur Robert Punnett has passed through Ellis Island in 1912, although he returned to the UK some years later. Several members of my late Mother in law's family also went through Ellis Island from Southern Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I knew many of us have had family go through there - so thought all might find it interesting. I have a framed document on my wall today - listing an ancestor that went through Ellis Island.
      I would love to have had the opportunity to go over seas and see birth/death places. What a trip that must have been for you! Wonderful!!!

      Delete
  9. Wonderful man, wonderful video! You were blessed to have him as a teacher. History is not always taught well, made to be alive and interesting.

    Enjoy your weekend...gonna be warmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a great role model for all his students and former students.
      Stay cool!

      Delete
  10. Very useful charts - I have printed out both of them!
    My favourite apple is the MacIntosh - lovely and tart! My mom used to make apple fritters - chunks of apples dipped into a batter, fried and served with a topping of icing sugar - we loved them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good. I have made fried apple rings before. Cored apples cut in rings - dipped in batter and fried - topped with powder sugar. They were good.
      I think I am a big Braeburn fan - one of my favorites. Weird MacIntosh wasn't even on the charts! I guess there are many that aren't there.

      Delete