Thursday, September 16, 2021

Thursday - Tidbits and Thoughts

 Boy does the week go by quickly.  I just remember as a kid the days seemed to last forever, summer seemed to never end and it took forever for Christmas to get here once we went back to school.
Now you turn around it is done!

This morning I have been outside twice so far, and all creatures great and small have been fed.  It seems something has gone and died under the deck (where greenhouse sits) - YUCK!  +There is no access to get to it and it is starting to smell - oh boy!  I actually sprayed a little natural mint flea spray in the greenhouse to ward of the smell wafting in there.  I even put an air freshener in there - LOL.  I changed the batteries in the little light (headlamp attached to wall) in the greenhouse.  It is dark when I go out to feed now in the mornings.  I have laundry on.  I have changed the bed linens.  Had my morning drink and watched the local news.  Got some meat out to thaw for dinner.  Opened a couple windows - it is nice and cool this morning.

I have been pondering Christmas!  I know there will be goody bags,  There will be some gift cards & cash - but there are just some I am unsure of.  I have 3 nephews, all 20+ (not married).  I usually get a gas GC for each (about $15) - but that doesn't seem to be very exciting.  Heck one of these young men makes more money in a year than the rest of the family put together!!!  Seriously!!  He is tech guy, and creates and sells computer games. There sure is great money in that!  I know none of them expect a thing - but Auntie has always done something.  IDEAS?
I am thinking of making 3 little girls napping quilts.  They get everything and they are so little, that they really don't understand!
UGGG - just my head swirling with ideas.

KITTY STORY:
This sweet innocent looking baby girl (Fluffy) - who isn't really a baby any more - is a hoot!   Shoot I think she is about 11 or 12 now - but still acts like a young-in!
I look out the back window and she is jumping over the gate fence.  Now she has come from the porch out front, down the drive, jumped up on the table and then over the fence - WITH a bird in her mouth!  She trots down the sidewalk and goes to the greenhouse to show Momma!  Both come out, Momma following closely and starts back up the walk.  Fluff is looking for a spot to hide her "toy".  Blackie looks up and goes back to sleep - could care less!
Momma wants to see again - so Fluff places the bird on the walk in front of Mom - and off it flies like a bat our of hell!!!!!  Yes, it was alive and well.
You should have seen the look on their faces.  Total surprise - as if to say "what they heck just happened?
Fluffy is the birder - Momma gets involved once in a while and Blackie - not interested.
The antics never stop!

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT


I got this email from my bank this week.  If you have coins - USE THEM or deposit them.  Seems people are not using, and that is creating a 'shortage' to speak of change again!  So many places have been discouraging using cash (don't get me started as to why) and asking for debit cards and CC.  I have never in my life used a debit card (I know) and seldom use CC's any more.  Every since they started advocating no cash - I have gone out of my way to use cash!  YES, I am a little rebel!!!!!!  I do not want to be in a cashless society.
So do your part and get those coins in circulation!!!

I have been diving head first into the deep dark corners of the pantry and the unchartered paths of the freezer this past couple weeks.  I am trying to find things that REALLY in need of being used up.  I know holiday sales will be happening soon - and well this girl just needs to use up older stuff.  It has meant getting a little more creative - but it is kind of fun.  You know I am NOT a date driven person - and I have found some older supplies that have gotten forgotten until now.
If you are curious as to any of the ideas I have come up with or older things used - let me know.
I don't want to bore with another 'use it up' or 'using my pantry' post (everyone is doing them) unless people are interested.

Well kiddos I am off.  Need to get laundry out of the washer and hung and then wash bedding.  Need to do some more de-cluttering and MAYBE cut grass when the dew dries (that remains to be seen!).  Check the garden and sweep the porch.  Nothing exciting at all.

If you have any thoughts of gifts or want to know more about pantry uses - give me a shout out!
STAY WELL



40 comments:

  1. RE: gift ideas. Home-made goodies are usually well-received - soup mix, cookies, candy, popcorn mix, etc. Charcuterie board gift basket - cheese, sausage, crackers, pickles? Gift cards for streaming platform, movie theater, favorite coffee house or take-out place? That's all I've got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do lots of homemade stuff. I never thought about coffee houses or movies. One loves my brownies - so that is an idea too.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Some of our kids have more money than they know what to do with so I understand the problem. I think single guys might enjoy some meals for the freezer if they live local and could take them right home. Our youngest son, techie, and his wife, college professor, value a loaf of banana bread over just about anything else and they say they cannot make it like I do. No matter how much money you make you cannot duplicate homemade food!

    The cats and the bird is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homemade goodies may just be the way to go. I think they would all love baked goods.
      Thanks

      Delete
  3. My idea for exciting gifts for 20 something men is to forget about it. The only thing that excites 20 something men is 20 something women. Make them something to eat, they like that. Homemade cookies or candies to take back home.

    It's really hard for me to take the current coin shortage seriously. There is a sign in my bank (Chase) asking us to bring in our rolled coins. Seriously? I am many years past dropping coins into those little sleeves. But this branch apparently does not have a coin machine, so they can't/won't roll them themselves. How needy are they when they expect us to do all the work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - you are right about girls! They all have girlfriends!!
      I know ight? I won't use those machines at stores - cause they charge you. Most banks have gotten rid of coil machines. I will spend my change at places - but doubtful I will take to the bank.

      Delete
  4. I never tire of your clever use it up ideas...food or otherwise. I find them quite creative and useful. Don't stop!
    For the older nephews I thought the banana bread idea was nice. I give my grown nieces and nephews homemade jam and baked goods or chocolate...cause almost everyone loves chocolate. Most young men like jerky or power bars also if you don't want to make something. After all, no matter how much you earn...you still have to eat. And, I bet something to eat that they don't have to make is a huge treat.
    We have had animals die under our outside buildings ...oh bother! Hope it dissipates quickly!
    Thanks for the blessing you are in my life, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baked goods is probably what it will be. They do all work out - so power bars and jerky are good ideas too!
      Yeah - it sure gets stinky. Too bad it couldn't happen in cold weather - but nooooooo it does it in the 80's!.
      How sweet. You guys keep me going!!!!!

      Delete
  5. Definitely the food idea for the adult boys. The nap quilts for the little girls sound great, too.
    Glad Fluffy didn't kill the bird. I have a neighbor's cat that hunts the birds at my feeding station, but it has managed to catch only chipmunks so far.
    When it cools off a little more, I plan to do a deep dive into the freezer and defrost it. I'm sure there are forgotten items in there. Right now it is packed to the gills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing to me how gently she carries birds around. More times than not - they get away.
      The deep dive can be scary. Finding lots of stuff here and I have cleaned all a couple times before. I just decided some of it had to be used! Waste is money - I can't do that.

      Delete
  6. Wow, that little bird sure was fooling your kitty! I can just imagine the look on his face. LOL I’m using up some things in my pantry this week too. It’s all good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just so comical!
      Good for you - use it up!!!!!!

      Delete
  7. Like several others have suggested, food / goodie baskets would be welcomed, I'm sure. Perhaps put the gift in a basket or bag or other container that can also be used later on. I often give a tin of homemade cookies, or an assortment of 3 small loaves of quick bread (banana walnut, zucchini nut, and my grandmother's raisin nut bread), or a selection of 4 oz. homemade jams and jellies, or if you make spaghetti sauce, a jar, combined with some good quality pasta, and some homemade garlic herb butter spread, and maybe a wedge of parm. When I gift my breads, I'll put them in individual decorative cello bags and label them, then plate them on a serving dish or small cutting board that can be used later (check your local thrift stores or the clearance racks at Home Goods or TJ Maxx). Same with jams -- on a small platter with a spreader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super great ideas. Hope everyone is reading these. Great suggestions for home made gifts.
      Thanks

      Delete
  8. Another idea- the number one thing our adult boys ask for is books. I get a list from them every year and pick the ones I want to gift them. So maybe a Barnes and Noble gift card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh, never really thought about them reading much (other than online). Worth looking into!
      Thanks

      Delete
    2. They ask for a lot of books that fit their interests like camping, woodworking, cycling, brewing, hiking trails, etc. I am always interested to see what is on their lists each year.

      Delete
    3. OK that makes sense. Self help in some way or just interests.
      Cool

      Delete
  9. Agree that food is a great idea! I asked for lists from my grands last year - 7 to 21 years old - and it was wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super idea too! You guys all have great ideas.
      Thanks

      Delete
  10. The young men I know love Fudge! You can make a couple different flavors using a variety of types of chocolate chips and make them an assorted pack. Plus it freezes well so you can make it ahead or let them know they can freeze extra for later.-Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm - I am thinking brownies, fudge and maybe some fancy chip cookies!
      Great ideas.

      Delete
  11. I just can't think about Christmas right now, but I will be putting all my pig savings back into circulation on Dec 6th. Love your kitty, ours is so funny and she is a hunter also. I hate it when in the old house a mouse would die behind a wall, oh the smell was awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I know many are just getting a grip on summer!!!
      Fluff is a little huntress for sure. Indoor kitty doesn't go out - so no varmints brought in.
      Smell of mouse x 100 is what it is like out by the deck. UGH!
      (The air freshener inside the greenhouse is working for there!)

      Delete
  12. One year, my Mom made all of the men chef's hats and chef's aprons to use when they barbecued. They loved them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool idea! That would be neat for my brother.
      Thanks

      Delete
  13. Dinner! Frozen 8x8 pan of homemade lasagne, frozen garlic bread and a bag of salad. You could make a 13x9 pan of brownies and split it 3 ways if you want to include dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to roll coins very soon. Thanks for the reminder.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Might as well turn them in and get some spendable bills!

      Delete
  15. Kitties were totally surprised by what they thought was a dead bird! Wonder what the communication was between the two cats. My dogs communicate, usually Jacob bossing Riley around...ha!

    Nothing worse than a dead varmint inaccessible to a cleanup. A neighborhood cat has been keeping the mouse population down around our chicken coop and run.

    Picked more green beans this morning and cooked them. One more bed to go and maybe it will produce twice like this one did.

    Gonna warm up again...pretty soon we will complain about the cold...ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I wish I could tell what they are thinking or saying.
      The cats - especially Fluff - find mice outside all the time around the garage. They don't meet the same nice fate as the bird!
      Glad you are still picking! Nothing like fresh beans.

      Delete
  16. For the three twenty something nephews get them each a Rubik's cube and see who figures it out first. The first one that does will have bragging rights, because we all know it is not easy to get all the colors back to their original position.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - now that is a hoot. 2 are brothers (so competitive) and the other is their cousin.
      SO many fun ideas. Thanks

      Delete
  17. I have a nephew in his early 20's, college student. I get him a GC and a box of Hershey's Pot of Gold chocolates every Christmas. They have different kinds and come in a big square box around the holidays. Usually run around $5-6. He looks forward to that box more than the GC. He and his girlfriend watch movies and eat the chocolate over Christmas break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh another great idea. I am getting so many good ideas - glad I have a lot of nieces and nephews!!! LOL
      Thanks

      Delete
  18. I enjoy all your posts, and especially the using up and pantry eating ideas. Lot of great ideas for gifts for the over 20 men. I usually give a GC to a favorite fast food place and then bake cookies or make up a snack basket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done GC to fast food fav and I have done gas card - I am getting so many neat ideas. Now to choose!
      Next week I will do a using up the old stuff post!!!!
      Thanks

      Delete
  19. I love the kitty story...and the fact that you are so practical in the way you use your food and resources. Hope you have a blessed weekend- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I try to be mindful of what I do have and use it wisely.
      Kitty is a character!
      Have a good weekend

      Delete