Saturday, June 13, 2015

Re-using items Part 1

I am a huge re-cycler and try to find new ways to re-use just about everything.  Today I am posting a picture of my rain barrels.  One was store bought and the other was made from items we had on hand.  Between the two we can gather 110 gallons of rain water to use on our flowers and garden.  I am a firm believer that God's rain is so much better for our plants.

The green one is from the store, and I have it setting on 2 pieces of 4 x 4 with the downspout in the middle.  The black one is from an old barrel we were given.  I added window screen across the top and secured that with a bungy cord.  I then cut a piece of worn out hose to make an overflow valve from #1 to #2. 
These work perfectly.  #1 has a valve for releasing water and on #2, I simply dip in watering cans and fill.

You will notice the gadget that was added to downspout.  This can be closed once your barrels are full, and the water will simply go down to downspout as normal.  When open, it blocks the water flow from lower part of downspout and diverts the water to the barrel.  It was simple to install, and it cost about $29, and we have used it for years.
We bought it at a place called Greenway Supply here in town.  They supply all sorts of things for people wanting to live more naturally.  I am sure most major cities have a similar store.

You could use this same system with 2 homemade barrels.  You would just need to place a section of hose through the side of the top area of one (I would silicone around that), then have the over flow go into the other one.

Hope this helps you decide to start saving water.  It seems so much better for the plants, and best of all the water is FREE!!!!

11 comments:

  1. As high as our water bill is getting to be, I should think about doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Rose, we had a new water meter installed and our bill rose $20! Then we replaced the water heater, installed a thermal expansion tank, and a pressure regulator, and set the pressure to half what it used to be. We also installed low flow shower heads and put that jar of water in the commode tank to reduce the amount of water when we flush. We will know in two months time when the quarterly bill comes if all that made a difference. Sure hoping so!

      Delete
  2. I think catching rain water is a super idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too EG CG! I saw a garden shed with two downspouts collecting into a rain barrel each, so I guess we don't always have to hook the barrels to the house system...

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Please come again.

      Delete
    2. I am still in negotiations with my husband on setting up a rain barrel. The design he liked best were multiple barrels laid horizontally on the ground under the deck with screens and filters and a line out to the garden.

      Even still, I am conserving water. When I wash at the sink, whether it be vegetables or running water waiting for it to heat up or cool down, I capture the water in a bowl. That water goes out to the plants outside, or used to flush a toilet, or set aside in a pitcher for the dog's bowl. BTW she really likes the water from a can of veggies combined with her dry kibble!

      Delete
    3. Love it Ellen. There are always ways to re-use things. I like pouring the hot canner water on weeds. It kills them very quickly.

      Delete
  4. That's brilliant, Cheryl! Rainwater can be quite helpful, as it can provide an alternative source for everyday chores and stuff that generally uses water. For example, you can use them for watering plants, or even for flushing the toilet and such. You end up managing your resources well, and cultivating a green home life at the same time. Cheers!

    Bert Aguilar @ Rainfill Tanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bert, I wonder about putting in a valve to divert 'clean' water from the kitchen sink to a cistern outside and then using that to water plants. Do you know or have done such a thing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a new fashioned way of doing an old-fashioned thing. I wonder if my husband would be interested?

    ReplyDelete