Thursday, June 11, 2015

Know your inventory

Hopefully your gardens are growing now.  Now is the time to take an inventory of what you have left from last year.  Yesterday I took a physical inventory of all home canned items.  Why did I plant so many cucumbers this year?  I have 60 quarts of various types of pickles STILL! 
I also have about 60 jars of homemade jelly, oh my!
I am hoping the tomatoes grow like gang busters, as I need to add salsa, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, and chili seasoning to my stockpile for yummy eating this coming winter.

My next plan is to inventory the freezers.  I try to keep plenty of sale priced meat on hand.  I can't stand to pass up a deal!  I will be arranging by type of meat and then there will be areas with frozen fruit and veggies.
Remember when buying items on sale, you are actually saving money (as long as you will use and not waste).  Prices are going to continue to go up, so money saved is money in your pocket.


Pickles and squash canned last year.  Pretty huh?
So now is the time to plan what you will be canning this summer and have any additional supplies on hand.  Garden produce waits for no one!!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. I always think canned goods make the pretties picture. Those pickles look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Rose! One year I did so much canning that we were able to arrange the shelves like a rainbow, the ROYGBV rainbow, Red was tomatoes, Orange was pumpkin, Yellow was Squash, Green was green beans, Blue was blueberries, and violet was grape jelly.

      Delete
  2. Gardens wait for no one, too! I just finished weeding two of my neighbors' plots while they are away...oh my...spinach and kale and radishes....good thing we now know we can pickle radishes...and chop and freeze spinach and kale. Eating all this fresh produce after a long winter of canned food reminds me just how fortunate we are to know how to grow and preserve the bounty of the land.

    Here are the ingredients for one such pickled radish recipe -- from http://gardentherapy.ca/pickled-radishes/

    but I still need to check with our extension agent on how to can them for the long term!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops the ingredients are:

    1 bunch thinly sliced round radishes
    3/4 cup water
    3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
    3 tablespoons honey
    2 whole, peeled garlic cloves

    Pack jars with radish slices and garlic.
    Pour the rest over the radish and garlic after they have been heated and dissolved.
    Store in refrigerator for up to a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a yummy recipe Ellen. I will have to try that.
      Thanks

      Delete