We all know homemade tastes better than store bought - but I have to agree that store bought is often easier. We all have those items that we buy, that in actuality we should be making at home.
I know - we just don't have the time.
This is something that I am working harder at.
We grow gardens and can and freeze our goodies because it tastes so much better than the stuff from the store. It saves us money too.
Here are some things to think about.
1. Homemade food is just better for you. You know what is in it, that it's fresher, there are no preservatives or chemicals from the packaging, and no hidden stuff.
2. It just tastes better. I don't really care what you make - it will be better made from scratch. You can make things richer, sweeter, chocolatier, more wholesome, less salty, etc. You make it the exact way you and your family like it.
3. Scratch seems to cost less. Prepared foods cost more as you are paying for packaging, advertising, utilities and pay of employees, shipping, and who knows what else. Food made from scratch comes from a lot of raw ingredients. Granted there are still things you have to buy - flour, sugar, some spices, meat in many cases, etc., but it still works out cheaper and less packaging.
4. Scratch food eliminates unnecessary packaging. How many wrappers, boxes, and containers do you throw away every week? I am hoping to eliminate more and more packaging each week.
5. Scratch food will make you think differently about food. After you start making more from scratch, you will realize the flavors are so much better, and odds are you will start feeling better. You won't be putting all the nasty chemicals in your body, and I bet you may even lose weight.
The next time you eat something that you created - then taste store bought - I bet you taste a huge difference!
I have always made much of our food from scratch, but there are still so many things I want to try. I haven't baked bread in ages - that is something I want to get back to. I would love to make my own pasta!
We love homemade pizza, cookies and candies, stews, soups, you name it.
What do you make from scratch that most people buy at the store?
We all need new ideas - as winter is the best time to try making foods from scratch. Homemade is comfort food in my book.
I believe we all need to shift the way we look at food, ourselves, and our world.
We need to get back to basics.
MAKE IT BETTER!!