We have had quite a weather week in this part of the country. We had extreme cold, snow, more cold, warmer temps and rain, then plunging temps again. Now we have ice covering everything, the temperature is 17* and dropping to below zero tonight. Getting a dusting of snow over the ice (which actually makes it easier to walk). I guess this extreme cold is supposed to last a couple days - then back to close to 40* by weeks end!
Kind of crazy and all over the place!!!!!
I had a nice Christmas lunch with my sister, brother and sister in-law yesterday. G couldn't be there, as we have no way to transport his power chair. (He did get lunch brought home to him!). We had a nice time visiting and reflecting back to childhood Christmas's.
My frugal week:
- Cut G's and my hair
- Colored my hair from supplies on hand
- I did finish ALL gift shopping
- Made my first batch of Springerle cookies (German cookie) for gifting
- Made more cookies for the squirrels
- Received a huge bag of homemade Chex Mix from one of G's aunts
- Given 2 bags of jerky and cat treats from G's aunt and uncle when they visited
- Got a great pasta deal at Menards. Buy 6 pack bag of elbow pasta or spaghetti (ea. pack is 12 oz.) for $4 - mail-in rebate for $3 thus costing only $1 for almost 6 lbs. of pasta. DEAL lasts till end of Dec.
- Bought 2 gifts at Menards on sale for $12.99 - each had an $8 mail-in rebate, so each gift will be $4.99!
- Cooled tea outside on the handrail so as not to heat up frig.
- Mailed all cards and a package this week. I showed up at just the right time at the P.O. to help an elderly lady with a heavy box. Firm believer of we are where we are at the right time!!!!!
- Shoveled snow - so good FREE cardio exercise
- Stopped at Kroger as I needed anise seed. They had a closeout on it for 1.79 bottle, regular $4.49 each. I bought 3 bottles which will last me for a few Christmas's.
- I also found 2 bottles of Bragg's liquid amino (natural soy sauce) on clearance for 2.19 a bottle.
- Received 8 quarts and 2 pints of home canned goodies, $25 Kroger GC, and a huge meat and cheese assortment from my siblings yesterday. YAY love getting free food!
Meals this week:
Leftover casserole and salad
Homemade taco salad
Pork, 4 cheese tortellini, veg. combo in sauce and mixed greens
Baked mac n cheese with turkey added and leftover greens
Mac n cheese leftovers and fried okra
Loaded baked potatoes
Goodies my sister sent home from lunch (breaded pork, green bean casserole, corn, and mashed pots)
I need to finish up my wrapping this week. I will be doing some baking, and hopefully staying home most of the week.
Are you all ready for Christmas? What are some of your traditions that you will be following this week?
May the Lord be with you and guide you in the coming week. Blessings to each of you. Stay safe and warm!